Seriously No Politics ×

My introduction

Alec

Dear Mormon Dialogue

I hope to become a new and active member of this forum. I'm a recent convert to the Church and was baptised just over a month ago, I'm looking to make some online friends and look forward to providing and receiving encouragement in our own walks with Jesus Christ. I honestly never thought I would be a Mormon, I was brought up in a conservative Anglican/Baptist church and really did feel as if something was missing. I couldn't understand why supposedly everybody else was receiving spiritual enlightenment and finding faith in Jesus when I personally couldn't. Praying and reading the bible felt so foreign to me and I just couldn't find lasting fulfilment spiritually despite my best efforts. That word, efforts, really does describe how my first 31 years have been. I have just been working so hard in all areas of my life to find myself and I looked everywhere - from drugs to overseas trips and money - anything to find that sense of fulfilment that I never could find.

In 2018 I received a visit from the Missionaries and they of course provided me with a Book of Mormon. They told me to pray over it to the Holy Spirit and ask Heavenly Father if it was real. I actually did exactly what they said, and I actually received an incredible communication from the Spirit - but this made me angry. I didn't want there to be a God, I was happy living my life my way and in 2018 I was far from the person I am now. I almost went on a kind of rebellious lifestyle and didn't care at all that I was living in sin.

About 3 months ago, I was on the computer at work and came across a video the missionaries had made regarding being in quarantine. This video led me to make a phone call to the church and that night I was invited around for dinner at a members house. This is so not me, I was incredibly nervous and I don't even know what motivated me to go to a complete strangers house - but I am so very glad I did. When I walked into the door of my new friends house and met his wife and kids -  I was truly overcome by the Spirit and knew that this kind of life, a family with God, that is what I needed. In fact, it was the only thing I needed and I decided to do everything I possibly could to try and make that happen. The next day at work I went to the Sydney chapel and spoke to the Missionaries, I was quite open and just told them everything. I was a drinker, a smoker, I swore, I had hardly any faith in me - but I knew this was real and I just had to follow in Christ's footsteps. Over the next few weeks I realised I needed to be baptised and I very quickly changed from being my old self to an entirely new person. My Mum (who I am close with) has said she doesn't recognise me anymore (in a good way). That I have changed even the tone of my voice.

In the weeks leading up to my baptism I made all the lifestyle changes Heavenly Father required of me. As soon as I emerged from the water I knew with certainty and not a single doubt that I was now a Christian. I had invited Jesus Christ into my heart and I was blessed and overcome with the Holy Ghost. Everything changed that day, and I'm now a month out and on this forum explaining all that has happened. I have even changed my job and now work as a Journalist, I never thought I would be the person God has made me to be.

I have been told I have a rather powerful testimony and I hope that I can provide some inspiration to anyone on this forum who may be struggling or questioning their faith. All I can say is that I tried everything the world said would make me happy - and none of it came anywhere near the happiness and contentment provided by being a member of the Church.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Alec Stuart.

Congratulations on being reborn in Christ, My Brother!  Welcome to the forum.  We're thrilled to have you.  Be forewarned, this is the kind of "net" that pulls in all sorts of fish, and we have people here who are faithful as faithful can be, people who are no longer members of the Church of Jesus Christ (some of whom are antagonistic and some of whom are more "live-and-let-live"), and people who are curious, "never-been members" of the Church of Jesus Christ.  I respect the faith and devotion of those whose faith differs from my own: I will let God sort out the details.  And I try to respect those who have become disaffected with the Church of Jesus Christ.

A few months ago, there was a member (of both the Church of Jesus Christ and of the forum) to whom I said, essentially (paraphrasing), "Look, if you have received a testimony of the Restored Gospel through the Holy Spirit, don't forget that; don't relinquish that; you don't have to be carried about and tossed to and fro by every factoid that someone might bring up about the history or doctrine or practice of the Church of Jesus Christ.  That testimony was real when you got it, and it's real now.  I don't know how anybody could be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and not have questions, but, while questions are inevitable, doubt and faith are choices: Choose faith."

And that's my advice to you: Choose faith.  Don't allow anyone coming at you with this or that factoid about the Church of Jesus Christ to dissuade you from that choice.  While I grew up in the Church of Jesus Christ, I, too, have had my "Oliver Cowdery, did-I-not-speak-peace-to-your-mind?" moments. Collectively, they are my lodestar.   Whatever questions I might have, I refuse to give up the witness I have received: If I give that up, what else to I have? :unknw:

Again, welcome.  :)

Welcome Alec... I love "conversion" stories... Although I was baptized at 8 yrs old, like so very many others I had my own conversion, and I can still remember the feeling as if it was yesterday... and I'm 80 yrs old.  Mine was when I was a 17 yr old early morning Seminary student... that year we were studying the BofM.  When we got to Moroni chapter 10.4, that verse really impacted me, and I answered by going to a quiet place, kneeling down and fervently praying to know if the Book was true... I was answered with a spiritual witness so strong I can still feel it today... that witness saw me through many a year, including my inactive years from age 20 to age 55 when I finally heeded the promptings of the Spirit and reactivated, attending Church for the first time in 35 years... and I've never looked back...  now I'm 80 and coming to the end of my sojourn here... but I face my future without fear, and with peace of heart...  Again, welcome... lots of good people here... I think you'll like it... 

from the beach... GG 

11 hours ago, Alec said:

Dear Mormon Dialogue

I hope to become a new and active member of this forum. I'm a recent convert to the Church and was baptised just over a month ago, I'm looking to make some online friends and look forward to providing and receiving encouragement in our own walks with Jesus Christ. I honestly never thought I would be a Mormon, I was brought up in a conservative Anglican/Baptist church and really did feel as if something was missing. I couldn't understand why supposedly everybody else was receiving spiritual enlightenment and finding faith in Jesus when I personally couldn't. Praying and reading the bible felt so foreign to me and I just couldn't find lasting fulfilment spiritually despite my best efforts. That word, efforts, really does describe how my first 31 years have been. I have just been working so hard in all areas of my life to find myself and I looked everywhere - from drugs to overseas trips and money - anything to find that sense of fulfilment that I never could find.

In 2018 I received a visit from the Missionaries and they of course provided me with a Book of Mormon. They told me to pray over it to the Holy Spirit and ask Heavenly Father if it was real. I actually did exactly what they said, and I actually received an incredible communication from the Spirit - but this made me angry. I didn't want there to be a God, I was happy living my life my way and in 2018 I was far from the person I am now. I almost went on a kind of rebellious lifestyle and didn't care at all that I was living in sin.

About 3 months ago, I was on the computer at work and came across a video the missionaries had made regarding being in quarantine. This video led me to make a phone call to the church and that night I was invited around for dinner at a members house. This is so not me, I was incredibly nervous and I don't even know what motivated me to go to a complete strangers house - but I am so very glad I did. When I walked into the door of my new friends house and met his wife and kids -  I was truly overcome by the Spirit and knew that this kind of life, a family with God, that is what I needed. In fact, it was the only thing I needed and I decided to do everything I possibly could to try and make that happen. The next day at work I went to the Sydney chapel and spoke to the Missionaries, I was quite open and just told them everything. I was a drinker, a smoker, I swore, I had hardly any faith in me - but I knew this was real and I just had to follow in Christ's footsteps. Over the next few weeks I realised I needed to be baptised and I very quickly changed from being my old self to an entirely new person. My Mum (who I am close with) has said she doesn't recognise me anymore (in a good way). That I have changed even the tone of my voice.

In the weeks leading up to my baptism I made all the lifestyle changes Heavenly Father required of me. As soon as I emerged from the water I knew with certainty and not a single doubt that I was now a Christian. I had invited Jesus Christ into my heart and I was blessed and overcome with the Holy Ghost. Everything changed that day, and I'm now a month out and on this forum explaining all that has happened. I have even changed my job and now work as a Journalist, I never thought I would be the person God has made me to be.

I have been told I have a rather powerful testimony and I hope that I can provide some inspiration to anyone on this forum who may be struggling or questioning their faith. All I can say is that I tried everything the world said would make me happy - and none of it came anywhere near the happiness and contentment provided by being a member of the Church.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Alec Stuart.

Hi there, Alec! So that you won’t be taken by surprise, please be aware of the fact that there are dissident current members and bitter former members of the Church who participate on this board who spend a a significant amount of their time knocking the Church and attempting to undermine testimonies in order to validate their unbelief. The sophistries of these individuals have no impact upon my testimony because I possess the ability to think critically while simultaneously possessing a profound knowledge of the doctrines and mysteries of the restored kingdom of God on earth. But if after being warned you still want to participate, that’s up to you, but please be aware that there is no substitute for diligent scripture study and personal revelation through the gift of the Holy Ghost.

And please understand that almost no point of contention here is ever successfully fleshed out and settled on this board; rather, in almost all instances, each individual walks away from a particular discussion hardened in their initial positions. And remember, the Lord warns his people that contention is not of him because enmity is almost always destructive to the Spirit and to spiritual harmony. 

Edited by teddyaware

Sounds quite similar to my conversion!  Looking forward to chatting in the future!

Good for you, it's all about the faith, I am a struggling member. But was all in for most of my life. Then doubt hit. And reading unknowns. But it's been the loneliest period of my life in my inactivity. The church for so long provided me with instant friends, and a path, and structure. Just enjoy the spirit you find in the faith, I know if I were to ever go back to church anywhere, or any faith, it would be the LDS church. 

Welcome and post some more!! :)

Thank you so much, everyone who posted, for providing me with an insight into MormonDialogue. I really appreciate the warnings and I can also see how this could be a hazard to a new persons faith - but I'm a veteran of internet forums and can generally give back as good as I receive 🙂

I have no doubt that The Lord Jesus Christ and The Book of Mormon are true and factual in every sense of the word. I look forward to making a few online friends and participating in discussions. Thank you again!

Four letters starting with A.

Hmmmm..

On 6/30/2021 at 2:57 AM, Garden Girl said:

...  now I'm 80 and coming to the end of my sojourn here ...

Bite your tongue! :huh:

:friends:  ;) :D

I just read this address from the inimitable, indomitable, incomparable Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, and I thought (for whatever that's worth: "We all know what 'thought' did, Ken!" :rolleyes: ) that it might have relevance and value to this discussion, and/or that it might be valuable to some here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2013/04/lord-i-believe?lang=eng

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 7:44 PM, mfbukowski said:

Four letters starting with A.

Hmmmm..

Can someone please tell me what the heck I was talking about here??? 

1 hour ago, Calm said:

Ahab sock puppet?

Yep, that was it! You are amazing!

Oh, and uh.... where did I leave my keys? 🥴

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

You will find them in the last place you look for them.

Ah, oh great one! You too have learned the greatest Secrets of Life. 

That's kind of like religions too. ;)

8 hours ago, Calm said:

Check your shoes

I tend more toward hats.  They can hold a lot more. And I don't like that crunching sound when I discover that I left my glasses in my shoe. ;)