Seriously No Politics ×

Posting change ?

All that effort to be nice so people love me…gone?  How dare they? ;) 

We get little badges instead (I am on my phone and can’t tell what they are, so assuming it is either count or rep points).

27 minutes ago, longview said:

I noticed that in profile you can still see the actual number of posts AND the number of "likes".

Thanks for mentioning as I hadn’t scrolled down to see the new section of “Achievements”.

4 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

Guess I'll post to see what symbol I get...

GG

Like @Calm, you're a Grand Master! As am I.

Edited by Stargazer

Has anyone else noticed the Reaction choices? We can now DOWNVOTE! Yay!

Is that a good thing, a bad thing, or did @Nemesis inadvertently allow that in unintentionally with a board software update?

6 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

" If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all "

Not a fan of downvotes. If a post is that bad, report it. 

I think that a downvote is designed for that vague ill-defined area where it's not bad enough to report it, but you definitely think the poster needs a smack upside da head. Like Bob Crockett is about to get one if he can't take a joke.

Edited by Stargazer
32 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I just developed a new opening move. Pawn to King 4. I think it might catch on. I am quite the innovator.

Indeed. I'll have to ask my Sicilian friend if he can think of any way to defend against such a bold move. ;)

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I just developed a new opening move. Pawn to King 4. I think it might catch on. I am quite the innovator.

Nice! Never seen that one before.

An old high school friend of mine discovered an uncompleted play-by-mail chess game that got interrupted by falling out of contact about 55 years ago. He's just recently sent me his next move. I last played chess with someone who knew how to play about 40 years ago. I am going to get creamed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 3:31 PM, Stargazer said:

Has anyone else noticed the Reaction choices? We can now DOWNVOTE! Yay!

Is that a good thing, a bad thing, or did @Nemesis inadvertently allow that in unintentionally with a board software update?

Negative. While Reddit works differently where the system pushes up the more positive posts over the negative, I've found the real problem is that it silences people. A person can have a well thought out post that isn't mean, racist etc., but if goes against the thinking of the majority they will get a lot of down votes.  So many people stop posting what would be very good balancing opinions.  

For example there was a post about a disagreement with an adult child.  It was a situation that you really needed to hear both sides to give advice on it.  I suggested something to that affect, showing how we don't know how the parent was dealing with it and was down voted and called "boomer" because they thought I was siding with the parent.   I wasn't.  I just didn't have enough info to make a call. 

Or there was when on a covid thread there was a lot of criticism against the church and outright untruths.  I explained how our prophet was a doctor and was asking us to wear masks and distance and showing us by example. I also shared a lot of other things the church was doing to help with covid.  I got a lot of down votes and comments on that telling me these things weren't true. 

So because of down votes I am careful of what I say and where.  I don't want other people to feel they will be silenced here.

2 hours ago, Rain said:

Negative. While Reddit works differently where the system pushes up the more positive posts over the negative, I've found the real problem is that it silences people. A person can have a well thought out post that isn't mean, racist etc., but if goes against the thinking of the majority they will get a lot of down votes.  So many people stop posting what would be very good balancing opinions.  

For example there was a post about a disagreement with an adult child.  It was a situation that you really needed to hear both sides to give advice on it.  I suggested something to that affect, showing how we don't know how the parent was dealing with it and was down voted and called "boomer" because they thought I was siding with the parent.   I wasn't.  I just didn't have enough info to make a call. 

Or there was when on a covid thread there was a lot of criticism against the church and outright untruths.  I explained how our prophet was a doctor and was asking us to wear masks and distance and showing us by example. I also shared a lot of other things the church was doing to help with covid.  I got a lot of down votes and comments on that telling me these things weren't true. 

So because of down votes I am careful of what I say and where.  I don't want other people to feel they will be silenced here.

I do see what you're saying about downvotes possibly chilling discussion, but on the other hand, negative comments that air irrational disagreements seem more likely to cause a chill, imho, and possibly trauma. A negative thing about downvotes is the mystery about why someone voted it down. I only downvote Youtube videos when I am in significant disagreement with the video. If I merely dislike it, I just don't vote it up. But I don't know if this is how other people use downvotes.

On my hobby YT channel, A Yank in Sussex, I have (so far) 12 videos posted (including the channel intro). It's a very quiet channel with (so far) just 68 subscribers, and only one of the videos has more than 600 views. How many downvotes have I ever gotten? Exactly one. So far, anyway. The video, What is Sussex? Part 2,  has 14 upvotes and 1 downvote. There are four comments on the video in question, all positive. So I have no idea why it got a downvote! Did the person dislike the whole video? Does the person hate history (the subject of the video)? No idea. Too ambiguous. 

46 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I only downvote Youtube videos when I am in significant disagreement with the video.

To me, I think downvotes should be reserved for bad faith arguments. Where someone is obviously being a troll. And I mean so obvious that people on the poster’s “side” would call them out for it.