Seriously No Politics ×

The in-progress, growing homeless tsunami

Chum

On 7/2/2021 at 8:06 PM, poptart said:

Fb is poison, bailing on it was one of the best things I ever did.  Also, those algorithms are spooky 

I permanently deleted mine a few years back. As a guy who does IT related security, it seemed like a bad look.

I had to create a new one last month, because most home rentals were on FB Marketplace. It'll be deleted soon enough.

On 6/27/2021 at 1:24 PM, Tacenda said:

In Utah recently the government put out a budget of $180 million to help those that need help with rent. I wish this was available to you and your family. https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/6/24/22534068/cant-pay-your-rent-utah-has-180-million-available-in-rental-assistance-how-to-pay-rent-help-eviction

Florida is returning 99 Million in unspent rental assistance funds. The stated reason is that onerous bureaucracy made the assistance mostly unreachable.

11 hours ago, Chum said:

I permanently deleted mine a few years back. As a guy who does IT related security, it seemed like a bad look.

I had to create a new one last month, because most home rentals were on FB Marketplace. It'll be deleted soon enough.

Did you create it under your name or an alias?  I have a few throwaways i use for Personal purposes.  I deleted mine when I went into nursing.  Similar thing considering how people use social media to dox and screw people over I just bailed.  It's disgusting, have friends overseas who don't have to deal with the same degree of human nastiest we do.  Not saying they don't but the laws and culture do a better job of protecting the common man.  Going to be interesting to see what the long term consequences of all this is.  Glad I grew up when I did, people don't care about how miserable they've made this country for future generations.

13 hours ago, poptart said:

Did you create it under your name or an alias? 

I've long had a fake account to use when needed.  I established one in my real name because competition for rentals is so severe, I couldn't risk anything that might look dodgy or evasive.

18 hours ago, Chum said:

I've long had a fake account to use when needed.  I established one in my real name because competition for rentals is so severe, I couldn't risk anything that might look dodgy or evasive.

Go on.  I don't like to talk about it in great detail, part of the reason why I removed myself from social media was when my father did what he did and I had to flee half way across the country after taking out a Restraining order.  Anyway, did you just set up a generic one?  Did you get a lot of friends from your ward?  Long story short I know sooner or later I'll have to come out of hiding a bit, nothing like I was years ago but I'll need something. I despise social media because of the poltics, backstabbing etc but it's just too valuable a resource.  If you're not on it, it's a red flag in a lot of fields as well as when you're looking for a place to live, unfortunately.  That's partially why im looking to do travel nursing abroad, no children and I can dodge a lot of the politics I'd have to deal with here if i went back into white collar. That and other countries I've looked into have better legal protections.  In this country unless you have money and connections you are a sitting duck.

Edited by poptart
On 7/6/2021 at 9:32 AM, poptart said:

did you just set up a generic one? 

Yes. Real info but minimal.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:32 AM, poptart said:

Did you get a lot of friends from your ward?

No. All of the friend recommendations are from India, for some reason. 

Also - I don't ever interact with IRL people over SM. I can't see doing public dialog for non-public conversations.

20 hours ago, Chum said:

Yes. Real info but minimal.

No. All of the friend recommendations are from India, for some reason. 

Also - I don't ever interact with IRL people over SM. I can't see doing public dialog for non-public conversations.

I'm thinking about how i'll be approaching social media as time goes on, as it is people treat it like a glorified social credit system now.  Flip side is it's so easy to just lie and blend in with whatever side seems to be doing well based on local/regional politics.  This is one big reason why I think so many people in certain professions stick with contract work, they can travel and dodge a lot of the red flags that comes with little to no social media presence.  

Smart, it still amazes me how few people seem to understand a simple concept like that, public spaces should not be used for non public conversations.  Facebook "friends" can be your worst enemy, the one you don't see.

My husband builds apartments/housing. There are many reasons for the housing crunch. The recession of 2008 halted building and we have not caught up. In Colorado, the price of land makes building low income housing not ‘pencil’ out. They need more public private partnerships but the government doesn’t want to partner and they don’t have the funds to build enough on their own. 

Inflation has made the costs to build very high. Having the government pass trillions in new infrastructure at this time will drive inflation higher as they compete with the private sector. 

My son and his family live with us. The cost of a 1 bedroom apartment is more than my mortgage and they are a family of four with a special needs child. Housing costs are a huge issue but I don’t think the government is going to do the right things to help. 

My county has a low income housing problem. Low income housing built under the current rules is not sold due to onerous rules and requirements. 

I’m so happy you found housing. I was worried about you.  It is such a huge problem.

Edited by bsjkki