Seriously No Politics ×

Noise to substance ratio in threads

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I'm fully aware that this is board nannying and I'm willing to be suspended for a few days over it if that's what it comes to because it needs to be said:

If the only reason you are posting is to--

• complain about another poster
  • say something "witty"
  • high-five a poster for saying something "witty"
  • wax philosophical about how much more mature, enlightened, non-judgmental you are than some other group (or to otherwise just be condescending) 
  • to repeat multiple times that you don't know why anyone cares about the topic or imply that anyone that does is just being a jerk

--please rethink the post or just don't say it at all.  Threads are being taken over by small groups of posters that add nothing of substance.  Threads are full of one-liners that are supposed to (?) inform everyone else of the superiority of a position without actually saying anything that is useful to the discussion, and it's getting old.

It starts innocently enough (and we all do it occasionally, which usually doesn't cause any problems) but if we aren't careful it starts to build and build until more and more posters are only posting in order to score "points" (on both sides), and every thread becomes groups of posters being self-righteously passive/aggressive towards each other while saying absolutely nothing of worth. 

I graduated from high school a long time ago and I have no desire to be immersed in that environment again.  

PLEASE STOP.  

My wife said to me a few minutes ago, Why do you waste time in a place that brings out the worst in you? Good question.

Cleatly your post applies to my recent posts, for which I apologize. 

1 minute ago, jkwilliams said:

My wife said to me a few minutes ago, Why do you waste time in a place that brings out the worst in you? Good question.

Cleatly your post applies to my recent posts, for which I apologize. 

Pretty sure I'm a target, too.

One lesson I learned a long time ago is that I cannot control the actions of other people, but I can control how I react to them.  Have you considered that perhaps it is how you are approaching the discussion board?  There are tools you can use if you find certain posters obnoxious.  And you don't have to respond to every comment.  You can also just skim threads to get the flavor of what is going on.  .

What I am saying is, if you are a regular participant here, you have a pretty good idea how posters from every position will respond.  You have complete control on how you participate on this board and how you want to respond or engage with what is going on.  I am sure there are plenty of fellow posters that don't want to hear my comments.That is fine with me.  But others find some value in the perspective I can offer.  Starting a thread about how others should behave from your point of view doesn't seem like a valid approach to take when there are things you can do to control your experience on this board.

Just something to think about.  I am not saying that you don't have valid points.

"you could tell what a Baggins would say on any question without the bother of asking him."

From Chapter One of the Hobbit

At times I feel that this is the case with manys poster here.

One can often Look at who is posting to tell you what they are going to say without actually having to read the post. 

3 hours ago, CA Steve said:

I would also be in favor of a limit on much a poster can breakup another poster's post into separate quotes. Sometime I feel like we are arguing over what the definition of 'is' is.

I would not support this suggestion. Inter-linear comments serve as an orderly way to deal with multiple points in a post, especially a lengthy one. Smac97 is especially good at this, and he definitely does not fit your characterization. His posts are, in my opinion, the most substantive and intelligent ones on the board. 

And if someone is inclined to quibble over the definition of “is” he’s going to do it no matter what form his post takes. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
3 hours ago, CA Steve said:

I would also be in favor of a limit on much a poster can breakup another poster's post into separate quotes. Sometime I feel like we are arguing over what the definition of 'is' is.

I think breaking up discussions can be helpful, especially if someone has made multiple points that they are asking another to comment on or answer.  

But there comes a point where it's less effective.  Posts grow to sizes, and have so many side topics, that few (if any) other posters are going to care to try to follow along.  And it becomes overwhelming for the person being replied to, to respond back to each point. 

Eventually someone in the conversation has to stop or things snowball and devolve into useless back-and-forth.

Another thing that would fix it is trying to understand what the poster is saying rather than deciding what they are saying and arguing that straw man argument. I recently said something in a post and I misexplained a concept. Someone called me out and I quickly corrected myself. The next 2 pages of posts were of others ignoring my correction and all my comments. They seemed more interested in the misexplanation than what I really meant. 

I participate in a few Latter-day Saint forums. All of them I feel comfortable to share my thoughts openly, ask questions, and challenges concepts that even I agree with. But here, I pause before everything I post because I know there is a line of 2-3 people who have a problem with what I say and proceed to attack not only my point (which is expected and what forums are for), but me as well and the proscribe straw man argument to a single line in a post. It’s exhausting

With how we communicate sometimes (and yes, I am part of the problem), I would think this was a political battleground forum

Edited by Fether
4 hours ago, bluebell said:

I think breaking up discussions can be helpful, especially if someone has made multiple points that they are asking another to comment on or answer.  

But there comes a point where it's less effective.  Posts grow to sizes, and have so many side topics, that few (if any) other posters are going to care to try to follow along.  And it becomes overwhelming for the person being replied to, to respond back to each point. 

Eventually someone in the conversation has to stop or things snowball and devolve into useless back-and-forth.

I’m wondering, then, how else one would deal with the occasional scattershot attack post filled with arguments of varying degrees of validity. If there is more efficient or effective way than the interlinear comments method, I’m open to hearing about it. At the moment, the only other option I can think of is multiple posts answering individual points in turn, and that strikes me as even more unwieldy. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
2 hours ago, bluebell said:

I completely support this.  I find that some posters literally break up a post so much that even single sentences are broken into parts.  I have found that often people write a paragraph to help explain a concept.  If you read the whole paragraph in context, it is easier to understand what point of view they are trying to get across.  When you pick that same paragraph apart, the context is not only completely lost, but often the remarks are a complete distortion and often opposite of what the poster intended.  What also happens is one sentence or even a part of a sentence is pulled out and THAT becomes the subject of subsequence posts, often having nothing to do with the tread title or what the poster wanted to say.  

I find my post often so contrived into an almost unrecognizable collection of comments, I don't want or bother to comment.  

I also feel the breaking down of a post to single sentences is causing some posters to post these one line answers.  Something that can't as easily turn into a nightmare to respond to.  

Edited by california boy
28 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I’m wondering, then, how else one would deal with the occasional scattershot attack post filled with arguments of varying degrees of validity. If there is more efficient or effective way than the interlinear comments method, I’m open to hearing about. At the moment, the only other option I can think of is multiple posts answering individual points in turn, and that strikes me as even more unwieldy. 

I would break it up into at least two posts and try to group the subtopic together. Otherwise, I would suggest just saying something like ‘I am going to respond to the three most important points in my view to give them the attention they deserve and may come back to this post to address other comments once I am satisfied with the ones first chosen’. 

I appreciate Smac’s posts as if I responded ‘naturally’, mine would be breaking up a post in the same manner.  But at times by the time I finish a post, I have been distracted by a minor issue and forget to address something more substantive.  And I find I get more in-depth or on point responses if I keep a post limited to one or two topics/main points at a time. Not saying I am always or even mostly successful as I also ramble. 

36 minutes ago, Calm said:

I would break it up into at least two posts and try to group the subtopic together. Otherwise, I would suggest just saying something like ‘I am going to respond to the three most important points in my view to give them the attention they deserve and may come back to this post to address other comments once I am satisfied with the ones first chosen’. 

I appreciate Smac’s posts as if I responded ‘naturally’, mine would be breaking up a post in the same manner.  But at times by the time I finish a post, I have been distracted by a minor issue and forget to address something more substantive.  And I find I get more in-depth or on point responses if I keep a post limited to one or two topics/main points at a time. Not saying I am always or even mostly successful as I also ramble. 

I think the scattergun type post with a cluster of remarks, any one of which is apt to provoke push back, is a more urgent problem than those who endeavor to answer such a post with quote-by-quote responses. If we deal with either, let us take up the more urgent problem first. We might then find that the second problem — if such it is — takes care of itself. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
15 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I think the scattergun type post with a cluster of remarks, any one of which is apt to provoke push back, is a more urgent problem than those who endeavor to answer such a post with quote-by-quote responses. If we deal with either, let us take up the more urgent problem first. We might find that the second problem — if such it is — takes care of itself. 

What the most urgent problem is will be different for all of us.  There's a lot of room for different approaches, thankfully. 

Speaking for myself, I'm not saying "this is a bad way to post".  Just more along the lines of "this style of posting is not always well received or serving your purposes so use caution" kind of thing.  It doesn't mean it's not ever appropriate.

13 minutes ago, bluebell said:

What the most urgent problem is will be different for all of us.  There's a lot of room for different approaches, thankfully. 

Speaking for myself, I'm not saying "this is a bad way to post".  Just more along the lines of "this style of posting is not always well received or serving your purposes so use caution" kind of thing.  It doesn't mean it's not ever appropriate.

OK. 

Best not to have any mandates or edicts prohibiting or limiting it, then. Right?

25 minutes ago, bluebell said:

If our objective is to the get the final word in, then super long, multi-quote, posts will almost always achieve that, but I don't think that's the goal for most of us.  So, we need to think about the main goal and focus there.  

What if our approach is to set the record straight in response to a post riddled with falsehoods and half-truths?

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

Sometimes it can be helpful to break down a few parts,  but we have a few posters who will break up a post until it really isn't a discussion, just a useless rebuttal. It's like the defense attorney who feels the need to ask a question just so the jury thinks there is a response, regardless of whether or not it is really relevant. I realize it would be an impossible rule to impose but I get frustrated with a response that just takes sentence by sentence and offers a response regardless of content. Frankly there are a few posters whom I no longer read at all because of their propensity to do that very thing.  And I agree with you regarding the length of responses, some of them are just ridiculous.  

The back and forth is another irritating thing. Why is having the last word so important?

Edited by CA Steve
2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

What if our approach is to set the record straight in response to a post riddled with falsehoods and half-truths?

I think the same reasoning applies, whatever the motive.  If a post becomes cumbersome and confusing to follow, not many people are going to read it, or be able to follow the arguments anymore, anyway.   Usually at that point it's just the fan base that is still following along (if that), and writing to an echo chamber doesn't serve any purpose or accomplish the initial objective.

So, I think sometimes it's just better to say less if you can and hope the less has more impact.

But really, these are just some of my thoughts on this specific topic.  They are not a standard other posters need to worry about.  I think most of us are just trying to do our best and I think unique styles and ways of seeing things are important.