Seriously No Politics ×

Mormon history association is at least having in-house meetings as well as zoom

I think MHA is wise to do so. It's mainstream orthodox LDS members can interact with one another personally if they so wish.

Sunstone Symposium is doing the same next month.

Only John Whitmer Historical Association (the best pure history annual Mormon conference) is doing virtual again this year, and I think that is a big, big mistake.

It is good to see people I have not been with in some time, very refreshing.

7 hours ago, JamesBYoung said:

I think MHA is wise to do so. It's mainstream orthodox LDS members can interact with one another personally if they so wish.

I used to attend MHA meetings annually, but never found them to be "mainstream orthodox LDS."  Has something changed?

5 hours ago, JamesBYoung said:

You, perhaps. I have always found them orthodox LDS centered, unlike Sunstone or JWHA.

There were always plenty of "orthodox"/orthoprax LDS scholars present, but equally as many non-LDS and unorthodox LDS present, many of them receiving awards and some even heading the MHA.  These included RLDS theologians and professors (a couple of whom were MHA Pres -- Bill Russell and Richard Howard), and non-LDS such as Jan Shipps and Larry Foster -- not to mention the various anti-Mormons always present (the late Wes Walters and his retinue).  Moreover, I never thought of David John Buerger as "orthodox."  And that is the once over lightly.  8)