Seriously No Politics ×

Article re church's interest in land

4 minutes ago, Calm said:

As soon as you can show how we can prove something exists outside of the universe or cannot exists, I will be happy to try and find documentation that something could exist outside our universe. 

Just in case you misunderstood, I am not claiming this as some scientific fact. It is a unfalsifiable philosophical concept at most imo. 

I was referring to official LDS teaching on it. As far as I know, while the LDS scripture does have classical theism about God and his existence outside of time and space, and some LDS GAs (Neil Maxwell for one) taught this, I don't know that the LDS Church adopts anything official on it.  Thus my conclusion that an anthropomorphic God subject to the laws of physics could perish at the end of the Universe.  But maybe all the gods will escape to another universe through a black hole, though there is a risk of being crushed into nothingness in that path.  😏

20 minutes ago, Teancum said:

So my idea that at least what the LDS church teaches about God being anthropomorphic and subject to the physical laws of the universe is not unreasonable. 

Sure.  As far as that goes.  But that doesn't seem to go very far.

So you just go by faith which means you have no answer. 

We are all just guessing here.  We lack sufficient information to speak intelligently on the subject.

God and all those who become gods may end in the heat death of the universe.

I don't think so.  That's not "what the LDS Church teaches about God."

Thanks,

-Smac

30 minutes ago, Teancum said:

I don't know that the LDS Church adopts anything official on it. 

I am unaware of anything official.  And if it appeared I was claiming that, it most definitely wasn’t my intent. When it comes to most of my speculative comments, my intent is most often to demonstrate what we don’t know rather than make claims about what we do.  I believe the only other usual intent of any speculation on my part is pure fun imagining possibilities and on rare occasions trying to create a possible logical framework for my own reasonings, trying to imagine how puzzle pieces might fit together when we are missing most of the pieces...never intend to suggest anyone else needs to take them seriously. 

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Teancum said:

So my idea that at least what the LDS church teaches about God being anthropomorphic and subject to the physical laws of the universe is not unreasonable.  So you just go by faith which means you have no answer.  God and all those who become gods may end in the heat death of the universe.

I can barely make plans for the next hour. Expecting me to have a plan for what will happen in 10 to the power of 100 years is expecting a bit much. I figure in that much time I can figure out how to break the second law of thermodynamics. How hard can it be?