Seriously No Politics ×

Article re church's interest in land

9 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Indulging in alcohol consumption can be very destructive indeed. It’s not merely a temporal covenant. There really is wisdom in abstaining, even if you’re not under covenant to obey the Word of Wisdom. 

I appreciate that; but how, then, do we accommodate for D&C 27?  My understanding is that the old “in the scriptures, wine = grape juice” idea has been pretty thoroughly debunked?

18 minutes ago, mgy401 said:

I appreciate that; but how, then, do we accommodate for D&C 27?  My understanding is that the old “in the scriptures, wine = grape juice” idea has been pretty thoroughly debunked?

Bodies that don’t get sick are probably resistant to any form of alcohol poisoning.

21 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

I know, but knowing some people in the church's investment arm, I'd say return on investment is a much greater priority than wise stewardship for the future. 

Those two things are mutually exclusive?  (Just asking ... :unknw:)

11 hours ago, OGHoosier said:

Man this conversation just makes me want to eat some grapes.

Preferably as they are hand-fed to me by a beautiful woman ... :D :rofl: :D

Ahhhh, a guy can dream, can't he??? :D

3 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Preferably as they are hand-fed to me by a beautiful woman ... :D :rofl: :D

Ahhhh, a guy can dream, can't he??? :D

This is 2021 kenngo, you can be hand fed grapes from a beautiful woman or man for less than a hundred bucks, at least that's what I've been told, plenty of places on the internet for that. 😁

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Including, I would venture to say, inebriation. 

Drunkenness, yes....but I suspect it may be more we have control over our bodies rather than it can’t affect us anymore or what would have been the long term purpose of learning self control?  So we might be ‘uplifted’ or relaxed or whatever we choose.

26 minutes ago, Calm said:

Drunkenness, yes....but I suspect it may be more we have control over our bodies rather than it can’t affect us anymore or what would have been the long term purpose of learning self control?  So we might be ‘uplifted’ or relaxed or whatever we choose.

Do you have in mind resurrected bodies?

1 hour ago, AtlanticMike said:

This is 2021 kenngo, you can be hand fed grapes from a beautiful woman or man for less than a hundred bucks, at least that's what I've been told, plenty of places on the internet for that. 😁

Yeah, if I wouldn't mind surrendering my Temple Recommend, but ... I would mind.  I'm funny that way, I guess.

23 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Yeah, if I wouldn't mind surrendering my Temple Recommend, but ... I would mind.  I'm funny that way, I guess.

No need to go there man😁. All I said is you could find someone to hand feed you grapes. Sometimes my wife and I go to the beach and I feed her grapes, sitting on a blanket, fully clothed. Come back to the light kenngo, come back to the light😂😂😂😂😂. Am just foolin around bro. 

On 6/10/2021 at 9:03 AM, smac97 said:

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Smac

Well tangible assets are where it's at as the dollar tanks. And nobody's making more land.  Soon homeless  folks will be using paper alleged to be worth $100, to start fires to stay warm.

It's going to be horrendous.

Nobody's making more real estate and it sure beats bitcoin. 

With enough land, one could feed hundreds of thousands, open commercial ventures, house thousands.  Anything.  It IS the ultimate investment, especially now

You can't do anything under water after the poles melt. Humans need dry land just to survive.

Great flexible investment, you can't do better right now, it's a no brainer.

It's a lifeboat in waterworld you can stand on to watch the dollars go down the drain.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:44 AM, Bob Crockett said:

I do agricultural litigation.  In Kern County (Bakersfield), California, the Church is the largest landowner.  Almond groves. I don't think there is any doctrinal reason for the church to own property in Bakersfield.

No one is making more of it, and you can do anything with it. It's just common sense.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:48 AM, longview said:

Gates' financial managers are agressively buying farmland - - -

image.thumb.png.0b86e128ec38c70f1c1761c134adb4ac.png

image.png

image.png

Gosh I wonder why. 🙄

Ah, what do them dummies know anyway?!

On 6/10/2021 at 11:40 AM, OGHoosier said:

Not much of a doctrinal reason for the Church to be in Salt Lake, either.

Yet here we are. 

I guess that's the royal "we"? ;)

On 6/10/2021 at 12:03 PM, jkwilliams said:

I know, but knowing some people in the church's investment arm, I'd say return on investment is a much greater priority than wise stewardship for the future. 

Nope.

It's both

On 6/10/2021 at 3:14 PM, jkwilliams said:

My guess is that they’d either have someone pay to operate the vineyards, or they’d subdivide the parcel and sell it. I can’t imagine the church throwing away all that capital. 

Just my guess. 

One does not have to make wine from grapes

People can actually eat them, make raisins.

I mean Raisin Bran puts TWO SCOOPS in every box!

That's even funnier that the word  "repeat" on a shampoo bottle.

Or "Doublemint" !

"Two for one sale!"

Edited by mfbukowski
20 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

One does not have to make wine from grapes

People can actually eat them, make raisins.

Different kind of grapes though.

Found a fun resource...takes three years to start getting raisins from planted vines, but that is a lot quicker than for wine.

https://www.dvusd.org/cms/lib07/AZ01901092/Centricity/Domain/4606/How Ro Raise.pdf

You want certain soils for different wines, but I don’t know if it matters for raisins and could instead pull out the wine grapes and invest three years in raisins.

Edited by Calm
3 hours ago, Calm said:

Likely translated as well, maybe other variations.

Then I’d say “resistant to any form of alcohol poisoning” does not do it justice. More like consumption of food or drink is irrelevant to a body that is not subject to death, illness or injury. There would be no obesity in such a body, because metabolism would not be an issue.

The option to eat and drink would be present; we know that, because the resurrected Christ ate with His disciples. But food and drink — or the lack thereof — would have no effect. 

29 minutes ago, Calm said:

Different kind of grapes though.

Found a fun resource...takes three years to start getting raisins from planted vines, but that is a lot quicker than for wine.

https://www.dvusd.org/cms/lib07/AZ01901092/Centricity/Domain/4606/How Ro Raise.pdf

You want certain soils for different wines, but I don’t know if it matters for raisins and could instead pull out the wine grapes and invest three years in raisins.

Indeed. Not all grapes are created equal. 

9 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

But food and drink — or the lack thereof — would have no effect

I don’t know...unless we lose our digestive organs or they somehow transmute into something else, I don’t see divine beings keeping around attributes for just frivolous purpose.  Makes more sense to me it is like a plug in hybrid car and able to make use of a variety of energy sources. 

Edited by Calm

I can see the headlines now!  Church of Jesus Christ now among world's largest vintners! ;) :D

2 hours ago, Calm said:

I don’t know...unless we lose our digestive organs or they somehow transmute into something else, I don’t see divine beings keeping around attributes for just frivolous purpose.  Makes more sense to me it is like a plug in hybrid car and able to make use of a variety of energy sources. 

If retained at all, they would be vestigial, hearkening back to our time in mortality. By definition, a resurrected being would not need food for survival or sustenance, especially one that is glorified.