Seriously No Politics ×

Working mothers

31 minutes ago, california boy said:

Thanks for expanding on your opinion.  I guess I just look at things in a more broad picture.  That often means evaluating each partner's God given talents and being wise servants by magnifying those talents for the best possible use of the family and the community.  

I think that in the most successful homes, both parents are valued equally in the raising of the children.  Not because one is assigned to work  and one stay home, but because of all the little lessons that are learned every day from both parents as they both interact with their children and the community. 

Glad we agree on all this 👍

15 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Do you know the meaning of the term Kremlin-watching? It is synonymous with Kremlinology, which Wikipedia defines as follows:

Kremlinology is the study and analysis of the politics and policies of [Soviet] Russia. …  In popular culture, the term is sometimes used to mean any attempt to understand a secretive organization or process, such as plans for upcoming products or events, by interpreting indirect clues.

I’m applying the latter usage here. I’m saying that it has been a while since we have heard anything from the Brethren specifically on the subject of mother’s working outside the home. From this, you (and perhaps others here) have drawn the inference that the Church leaders have ditched the teaching by President Benson — and given somewhat muted and conditional validation by President Hinckley — that ideally a mother should be at home to rear and nurture children. I’m saying that since there has been no direct evidence for this conclusion, it can be no more than a subjective (and debatable) inference. 

Thus you appear to be engaging (in an analogous sense) in Kremlin-watching of the Church leadership. 

Are my comments/questions speculative?  Yes.  "Kremlin-watching" however, sounds more like an outsider or antagonistic/whistle-blowing role.  That's not me. 

If your position is that nothing is changing culturally, or in the messaging of our leaders, and if the counsel of the prophets has been that a mother should not work if at all avoidable, would you say that it is sinful for a woman to work by choice, simply because she finds personal fulfillment at work?  Would that make the mother spiritually-less-than because they are not heeding the prophet's counsel?

2 hours ago, Rain said:

And I want to say that I have no regrets staying home.  We have in later years looked at me working especially when my husband was working for half pay or no pay at all and we felt right for me to continue to be home.  My youngest is 20 and we still feel right about me not working.  

So it's not like I feel I need to defend my own choices.  (NOT saying you are, just talking to what others might be thinking.)

It's that we are a praying church.  We are huge for seeking after revelation for ourselves and our families.  So for me to tell someone in your family situation that only my family situation is ideal ignores personal revelation that each of us can and should receive. It also ignores the patriarchal blessings that many receive.  

Totally agree with the sentiment, specifically the importance of allowing ourselves to consider what is best in our own situations, according to conscience and other factors. Though I don't pray, I still seek a quietude to turn my heart and thoughts to seek answers. 

I am very happy for you, that the path you took seems to have been the best for you, in retrospect!

4 hours ago, pogi said:

Are my comments/questions speculative?  Yes.  "Kremlin-watching" however, sounds more like an outsider or antagonistic/whistle-blowing role.  That's not me. 

You are choosing to draw an inference not intended by me. Your remarks being subjective and speculative (which you acknowledge here) and not based on direct or compelling evidence is all I meant to convey by the term “Kremlin watching” (which, by the way, is a very apt term where you are inviting us to opine on whether a given action “signif[ies] a change in leadership thinking”). 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
3 hours ago, pogi said:

If your position is that nothing is changing culturally, or in the messaging of our leaders, and if the counsel of the prophets has been that a mother should not work if at all avoidable, would you say that it is sinful for a woman to work by choice, simply because she finds personal fulfillment at work?  Would that make the mother spiritually-less-than because they are not heeding the prophet's counsel?

My position has been expressed clearly enough. Teachings by past presidents of the Church on this subject (to my knowledge) have never been repudiated or discarded and thus should not be dismissed outright just because they haven’t been emphasized in a while. It is thus up to each Church member to make of that fact what he or she will and to apply it to his or her own circumstances. It’s not my province (nor yours) to comment on the spirituality of any individual who does that.

Nor is it my province to make a blanket statement such as you appear to be trying to goad me into, just as it would not be your province to make a blanket statement about any woman who made the necessary sacrifices to heed past prophetic teachings on this subject. 

On 6/9/2021 at 10:57 AM, pogi said:

The new Primary President, Camille N. Johnson, is the first career woman ever called to that position.  She worked as an attorney for 30 years.  Is a career woman presiding over the Primary organization in our church representative of a larger change in culture and feelings towards working mother's in the church? 

The following quotes are what seem to me to be good examples of the historical message of the church:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1986/03/working-double-time-the-working-mothers-dilemma?lang=eng

Even thought this article was intended to soften judgment towards working mothers, in many ways, it seems to reinforce it for mothers who don't need to work to help provide the basic necessities.  From these quotes you can see that it was insinuated that working as a mother should only be done when it is an absolute necessity, when it is impossible to provide the basic fundamentals, or when you are widowed or divorced - when the circumstances are "beyond their control."  

What are your thoughts, are things changing?  Does the Proclamation on the Family jive with a mother who is working out of pure professional interest, or to provide "extras" rather than out of necessity?  Does this signify a change in leadership thinking?

Ezra Taft Benson is rolling over in his grave

Edited by Fair Dinkum
43 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

You are choosing to draw an inference not intended by me. Your remarks being subjective and speculative (which you acknowledge here) and not based on direct or compelling evidence is all I meant to convey by the term “Kremlin watching.”

Ok, I accept that.  I will just say that what constitutes "compelling evidence" is also subjective.  To me, for the President to call a career woman/mother to preside over the Primary for the first time in the history of the church seems to me to be a nod to working mothers.  The issue does not seem to be as black and white as it once seemed.  The guilt and questions of worthiness that working mothers feel did not evolve in a vacuum.   Not only did her choice to have a career not diminish her worthiness, the new Primary President is making the news (a church owned news station to boot) as a voice for all working mothers.  Here is what she says:

“I probably provide, perhaps, a different perspective as I step back and I look at the wall,” she said. “I hope that my life’s experiences will be a benefit. I trust that they will, if I rely upon the Lord. It’s His work and we are just privileged to have the opportunity to participate in it. And these women are beautiful examples of that.”

For 30 years, Johnson worked as an attorney, the president of her law firm – Snow, Christensen and Martineau.

“I didn’t try to shy away from my professional life at church, so I didn’t tuck it away and act like I wasn’t practicing law Monday through Friday, and sometimes Saturday,” she laughed.

...She has received messages from other Latter-day Saint career women, who have wondered if their work somehow disqualifies them from Church callings. Her response?

“Oh sisters, whatever your life experience, bring it to bear. We need you. And don’t disqualify yourself. The Lord does not disqualify you because of your professional life, of your need to work or your desire to work. It’s not a disqualifier,” she said. “The Lord needs you. He needs your experience. He needs you to bring that to bear.”

https://ksltv.com/463784/unique-perspectives-experience-guide-new-church-primary-leadership/?

This all seems like a fairly large change to me.  Just like women praying in church, you can't just argue that we never got around to it.  I am convinced that it was a thoughtful change in position and culture to call a career woman as Primary President - a role model for all mothers.  The fact is that it is a first - something that I never would have imagined happening in the 80's or 90's, or really anytime before this President. 

The Lord needs the experience of working mothers?  That is not a new voice, a new culture?

40 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Nor is it my province to make a blanket statement such as you appear to be trying to goad me into, just as it would not be your province to make a blanket statement about any woman who made the necessary sacrifices to heed past prophetic teachings on this subject. 

The new Primary President is making blanket statements.  Not only is it NOT disqualifying, but it can give experience that the Lord wants.  The fact that it is the Primary President (the one responsible for our children) only makes it that much more potent of a message and act to call her as President.  As Bob Dylan once said, "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

18 minutes ago, Maidservant said:

I really also don't know the difference between daycare and school. They are both outsourced parenting. When I was in elementary school, it was very Lord of the Flies, especially recess. So daycare/school is either all right, or it's not, or it's okay with parental participation/oversight, or?

I agree completely. I think as kids get older, there is benefits in going to school beyond education, but I love the idea of homeschooling kids at least through elementary school (and I guess through middle school cause middle school is just the worst)... But this is all a completely different situation.

5 hours ago, Maidservant said:

It's okay for us each to have a different interpretation of the silence. Neither assessment is inherently likely (without asking the leaders directly).

I agree. Not sure Pogi does, though. He’s the Kremlin watcher here; I’m just going by the written record. 

Let me pose a question (you needn’t answer if it makes you feel uncomfortable; I’ll put it out generally to the board).

What would you say to a woman who earnestly tried to follow prophetic counsel in the ‘80s and ‘90s and remained at home during her child rearing years? She and her husband made it work, though not without some sacrifices. They could not afford as nice a home or cars as some of their peers, skipped exotic vacations, very seldom ate out, paid their tithes and offerings, weathered the occasional cash-flow crisis despite diligently trying to follow a budget. 

Would you say she was too naive, if not a bit foolish, for taking the prophets at their word back then?

By the way, after a few years of silence on the matter, at least one leader WAS asked directly. It was President Hinckley. His response: “Do the best you can.”

Edited by Scott Lloyd
3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I agree. Not sure Pogi does, though. He’s the Kremlin watcher here; I’m just going by the written record. 

Let me pose a question (you needn’t answer if it makes you feel uncomfortable; I’ll put it out generally to the board).

What would you say to a woman who earnestly tried to follow prophetic counsel in the ‘80s and ‘90s and remained at home during her child rearing years. She and her husband made it work, though not without some sacrifices. They could not afford as nice a home or cars as some of their peers, skipped exotic vacations, very seldom ate out, paid their tithes and offerings weathered the occasional cash-flow crisis despite diligently trying to follow a budget. 

Would you say she was too naive, if not a bit foolish, for taking the prophets at their word back then?

By the way, after a few years of silence on the matter, at least one leader WAS asked directly. It was President Hinckley. His response: “Do the best you can.”

What I would say: "do you feel you did what was right for your family?"  

If yes, then: "great! It's good to have that peace from doing what you feel is right". 

If no, "Did you do the best you could with the knowledge you had then? Good. So glad the Lord knows our situations personally and gave us the Savior to help us change.  His hand is stretched out still.  What is your plan moving forward?"

Edited by Rain
20 minutes ago, Rain said:

What I would say: "do you feel you did what was right for your family?"  

If yes, then: "great! It's good to have that peace from doing what you feel is right". 

I’m glad you would be so tolerant. I fear not everyone would. 

Do you think it possible such a woman, notwithstanding feeling confident and peaceful about her chosen course, might feel looked down upon when encountering a thread such as this one suggesting that Church leaders were wrong back then and that recent administrative action and public comment suggest “a change in leadership thinking”?

5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

What would you say to a woman who earnestly tried to follow prophetic counsel in the ‘80s and ‘90s and remained at home during her child rearing years? She and her husband made it work, though not without some sacrifices. They could not afford as nice a home or cars as some of their peers, skipped exotic vacations, very seldom ate out, paid their tithes and offerings, weathered the occasional cash-flow crisis despite diligently trying to follow a budget. 

I know what such a woman would say. My mother says, "We did the best we could with what we knew." 

Listen, it's tough being a child with parents who made well-intentioned mistakes and it is tough being such a parent too. I've been both. We need to give our parents, selves, and children the space and love to process our/their experiences, even when they happened because of their/our choices. It's painful, but grace--for ourselves and others-- in the process engenders greater love and learning.

Grace makes the truth bearable, and helps us move past any pain or regret.

8 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I’m glad you would be so tolerant. I fear not everyone would. 

Do you think it possible such a woman, notwithstanding feeling confident and peaceful about her chosen course, might feel looked down upon when encountering a thread such as this one suggesting that Church leaders were wrong back then and that recent administrative action and public comment suggest “a change in leadership thinking”?

What in this thread would cause her to feel judged or looked down upon exactly?  I see no judgment anywhere. 

8 hours ago, Rain said:

I think that every person on this thread and elsewhere who thinks it is up to the married couple and the Lord would be tolerant about it. I mean it is the very thing we are advocating for.  

Let's me be clear here.  Until recent years you described me in that situation.  A stay at home mom trying to follow the proplet's counsel. Struggling on my husband's salary where I had to cut corners. In fact I still don't work despite my youngest being 20, but we are now blessed with a better income.  I know this woman because I was her.

It is ironic to me that I am trying to share so strongly the idea that it is ok to work if that is what is right for your family because I was very much looked down on by women who felt I was selfish for staying at home.

The real irony is the only people who I have felt looked down on in this thread were those who feel what I actually did was the ideal.  I have felt looked down on because it feels implied that what I am saying is not in agreement with the prophets - but I disagree.

If you want someone to look down on me for staying home you are going to have to look elsewhere - where people think the only acceptable way is to work. No one fits the bill on this thread.

I was you as well! But the feelings that I should be out there working nagged at me, along with the care of my children only being by me, not a daycare. But that was me, and maybe my kids could have been taken care of just fine with someone else. I'm much too controlling as far as if I don't know what's going on with my children and who's watching them and a bit imaginative and not in the positive way. 

I immediately found a job when my last one entered 1st grade. I felt very inadequate with my college cut short because of having children so that I snapped up the first job I could and started with a cleaning company where I could be home when the kids came home from school. And then I moved on to being a teacher's aid in a preschool and now a sub teacher. But I often wonder why I didn't complete my education, darn it. 

But I see wonderful sides to being a SAHM and a working outside the home mom. I guess it's always going to be a choice and with the choice we need to be diligent in trying to find the safest and smartest route that puts the child as the priority, because we brought them into this world and have that responsibility. 

Edited by Tacenda
14 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

On the contrary, you seem to be much more black and white on this issue than I am.  I noted that my comments are subjective and speculative - thus, allowing plenty of room for alternate views and interpretations. 

I will note, however, that we have more than silence to interpret.  We have unprecedented actions from the prophet himself in calling a career woman to the primary presidency.  We also have direct quotes from the primary president in a church owned news paper advocating for mothers who choose to work, not out of necessity, but simply out of the desire to work - stating that the Lord needs their career experience in church service.  That constitutes real change, not mere silence.  

What does all this change mean?  You are free to speculate, but I have a hunch.  

Edited by pogi
10 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I was you as well! But the feelings that I should be out there working nagged at me, along with the care of my children only being by me, not a daycare. But that was me, and maybe my kids could have been taken care of just fine with someone else. I'm much too controlling as far as if I don't know what's going on with my children and who's watching them and a bit imaginative and not in the positive way. 

I immediately found a job when my last one entered 1st grade. I felt very inadequate with my college cut short because of having children so that I snapped up the first job I could and started with a cleaning company where I could be home when the kids came home from school. And then I moved on to being a teacher's aid in a preschool and now a sub teacher. But I often wonder why I didn't complete my education, darn it. 

But I see wonderful sides to being a SAHM and a working outside the home mom. I guess it's always going to be a choice and with the choice we need to be diligent in trying to find the safest and smartest route that puts the child as the priority, because we brought them into this world and have that responsibility. 

There is still time! Do it! 😀

Edited by Rain
2 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Telling women they shouldn't have jobs feels like major overreach to me. 

At the risk of introducing a tangent to the thread, how many of the Church's difficult issues involve some measure of "overreach"? The Priesthood and temple ban seems partially rooted in "overreach", when we justified it by claiming to know something about the ancestry of Africans or claiming to know something about their valiance in the pre-exsistance or whatever.

Was it Mason or Givens that developed the "truth cart" metaphor? As I recall, something was said to the effect that a part of our problems with people in faith crisis is that we (collectively) have often put too many things into our truth cart -- overreached when saying what should be in our truth cart, if you will?