Is visiting other church's 'inappropriate'

1 minute ago, pogi said:

How many sock puppets are you up to now, just curious?

None.  Unless you're counting all accounts I have ever had.  I have only ever had one active account at a time, with no other account active (not banned) at the same time.  And I have been posting here since this was a FAIR board.  Probably near a dozen accounts.

34 minutes ago, Baba Lou said:

If you want to understand the reasons your family members responded the way they did it would be a good idea for you to ask them.  I can offer a little bit of insight for some possible reasons that would not mean they are jerks, though.

They might have thought the members of that other church are doing it wrong... worshipping incorrectly, teaching false ideas, setting bad examples for others, doing what they should not do... while feeling it was not their place to try to correct them.

Think of Alma and Amulek being invited to go worship with the Zoramites, to worship as they worshipped on their rameumptum.  Not invited to teach them how to worship correctly, but to worship with them in the way that they worshipped.  Not to teach them, but to join with them in doing the bad things they were doing and in the same way that they what they should not have done.  I'm sure those Zoramites would not have appreciated Alma & Amulek telling them they were doing it wrong.  Those Zoramites would have probably thought Alma and Amulek were engaging in unacceptable behavior.

Worshipping God is something people should do correctly if they are going to do it at all.  Otherwise it is false worship or the worship of a false God and that is not what we should be doing.

Yes, they may feel that way. It is a very arrogant approach though, I'm happy they may realize it's not their place to try to correct another religion. Being offended by an invitation to worship because you are being invited to worship "with" them instead of teaching them how they are doing it wrong borders on comical. I think you've nailed the mindset of my parents but I find it very distasteful and a bit embarrassing.

36 minutes ago, Amulek said:

Well, by definition, your family includes you, so...... ;)

No, I'm with the majority of everyone else here. I don't think there's anything inherently offensive about being invited to attend another church.

In fact, I personally received (and accepted) an invitation to attend another church here within the last month. One of my coworkers was going to be speaking along with her husband about how faith in Christ helped save their marriage. It was a beautiful, faith promoting testimony. I'm better for having heard it.

And, if I'm being completely honest, I would add that I have been invited to participate in activities a lot shadier than 'attending church' over the years. And while I certainly declined those invitations I don't ever recall being indignant over them.

Touche. You're not wrong :) 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Baba Lou said:

None.  Unless you're counting all accounts I have ever had.  I have only ever had one active account at a time, with no other account active (not banned) at the same time.  And I have been posting here since this was a FAIR board.  Probably near a dozen accounts.

Why? That seems like a very strange way to interact on a board unless you keep burning bridges with everyone to the point that you know nobody will listen to you if they know who you are. Seriously weird. Bless your heart.

23 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

This past weekend I had a fairly negative experience with family members about church attendance. I had been invited by a friend to do some special music at a non-LDS church service and since music is my jam, I was happy to contribute. 

I invited my parents to attend since they live nearby. They said they couldn't go because it would be "inappropriate". They won't attend a non-LDS service. My mom said she has never been to another church except to attend funerals. I was pretty surprised and a bit disappointed.

I also invited my brother and his family who were staying with us from out of town. My brother's wife said it was "unacceptable" and actually became upset that the invitation was extended and that my brother briefly considered going. In any case, no one attended to watch my musical contributions. Fine.

But it quite irked me that instead of a simple "no thank you" I received more of an "absolutely not" kind of response. It strikes me as extremely rude and small minded to be that opposed to attending another denomination's services for a special occasion even when it would have had no impact on their own services. If they had invited a friend or family to attend their service and received the same kind of response I am quite sure they would have found the rejection of a simple visit, distasteful.

Are my family jerks or has the church somehow created a fear based mentality about attending other churches or experiencing "counterfeit spirituality" (my father's phrase). OR are they right in refusing to attend other churches and are appropriately indignant at the invitation?

I see nothing wrong with worshipping with other Christians on the Sabbath, provided that doing to is not supplanting Latter-day Saint worship.  We are commanded in D&C 59:9: "And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up they sacraments upon my holy day."  I think "sacraments" can encompass both things unique to the Church (notably, the administration of the Sacrament) and practical matters (such as fulfilling callings, socializing with fellow Saints, and so on).  However, "sacraments" can also include attending the meetings of other faith traditions and worshipping with them within the bounds of propriety.

Thanks,

-Smac

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Yes, they may feel that way. It is a very arrogant approach though, I'm happy they may realize it's not their place to try to correct another religion. Being offended by an invitation to worship because you are being invited to worship "with" them instead of teaching them how they are doing it wrong borders on comical. I think you've nailed the mindset of my parents but I find it very distasteful and a bit embarrassing.

It's one thing to know others are not worshipping God as they should worship him, which is correctly and properly, and it's another thing to go with them and do it wrong like they are doing it wrong.  I empathize with them for not wanting to do anything wrong.

10 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Why? That seems like a very strange way to interact on a board unless you keep burning bridges with everyone to the point that you know nobody will listen to you if they know who you are. Seriously weird. Bless your heart.

He has been banned according to himself, but apparently feels he has the right to walk into another’s space under false pretenses. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I have had several accounts on this board because the board Nemesis has banned all of my previous accounts and the I that moves me still has more for me to say on this board.  It's never been about whether others agree with me. 

There isn't anyone who posts on this board who everybody agrees with all of the time.  We all post here because we all have something we each want to say, regardless of whether or not the board Nemesis likes what we say.

Just now, Calm said:

He has been banned according to himself, but apparently feels he has the right to walk into another’s space under false pretenses. 

There has never been anything false about anything I have said, at least not by my understanding.  Others have disagreed with me, sure, many times, but I don't say anything I believe is false.  So I count what you just said as another false accusation.

3 minutes ago, Baba Lou said:

We all post here because we all have something we each want to say, regardless of whether or not the board Nemesis likes what we say.

But most of us aren’t lying by doing so...which is what happens when someone who is banned signs up again while agreeing to abide by board rules, including not creating new accounts to get around banning.

There has never been anything false about anything I have said, 

When you sign up to participate on the board, you are promising to abide by board rules...but you are breaking the rules and therefore your promise before your first post if you have been banned. 

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Calm said:

But most of us aren’t lying by doing so...which is what happens when someone who is banned signs up again while agreeing to abide by board rules, including not creating new accounts to get around banning.

I acknowledge the board rules are the rules on this board but I have never said I would never violate a board rule while I post here, which may happen and has happened from time to time.  And the I that is me has never been banned.  Only an account I've used.

Try to understand that, Calm, or whatever other real name you have ever been known by, whether you gave that name to yourself or someone else gave it to you.  The I that is me is not and never has been Ahab.  That was a name for an account that I used.

1 hour ago, Baba Lou said:

Worshipping God is something people should do correctly if they are going to do it at all.  Otherwise it is false worship or the worship of a false God and that is not what we should be doing.

So, according to Ahab, all non-LDS should become atheists. Yes, I'm sure that's what God wants 🙄

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

So, according to Ahab, all non-LDS should become atheists. Yes, I'm sure that's what God wants 🙄

No, anyone who can think rationally and logically can conclude there must be a supreme kind of being, even if they don't know which kind of being is it.  Everyone just needs to keep searching until they figure out that our kind of being is it.

45 minutes ago, Baba Lou said:

I acknowledge the board rules are the rules on this board but I have never said I would never violate a board rule while I post here, which may happen and has happened from time to time.  And the I that is me has never been banned.  Only an account I've used.

Try to understand that, Calm, or whatever other real name you have ever been known by, whether you gave that name to yourself or someone else gave it to you.  The I that is me is not and never has been Ahab.  That was a name for an account that I used.

By posting here, you are automatically agreeing to abide by board rules. So you begin with dishonesty and then lie about being dishonest. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Raingirl said:

By posting here, you are automatically agreeing to abide by board rules. So you begin with dishonesty and then lie about being dishonest. 

I have this nagging feeling that he actually believes his rationalization of his behavior. 

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, Baba Lou said:

And the I that is me has never been banned.  Only an account I've used.

You mean...only "near a dozen" accounts you've used?

I have to give it to the I that is you for being so true to your instantly identifiable character, which no pseudonym could ever hide.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Yes, their powerful negative reactions were surprising.

As you may recall I used to be a bishop and my family can definitely tell that I am not engaged in the LDS church the same way I used to be. Not even close. So over time they've sent me lengthy letters calling me to repentance and even expressed that it would be best that my family experience some kind of catastrophe that would humble us. For me, that kind of engagement only pushes me farther away. So I wasn't totally surprised my parents turned down the invitation but the reaction was pretty rude. And my SIL's reaction, while staying in my home, seemed very hostile.

I did not know your background as bishop or your current engagement level in the Church. I assumed you were currently a bishop since that is what it says (in caps!) on your avatar -- or whatever that's called. I wish you well dealing with your family, kind of a reverse situation of being the only Church member in an antagonistic family dynamic, which I am not a stranger to. It takes some time to gradually discover more common ground for sustained positive interactions, at least good enough to offset the more disappointing incidents. It can take awhile.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, sheilauk said:

The ordinances are not the only way to worship God and you don't need the priesthood to pray, which is one way to worship God, or to sing, which is another way.  Those of other faiths are not engaged in false worship nor are they worshipping a false God.   God is God, He is unchanging.   Their ordinances are ineffectual because they don't have the priesthood but their worship of God isn't.  They all have a measure of the Holy Spirit.  I attended other churches for many years.   My worship of God while in those churches was not false.  He revealed Himself to me before I began to investigate the Mormons.  He hasn't changed since I joined the church.  I've been to services in other churches since then as well.  Joining in with their worship of God wasn't false. God knew what was in my heart and mind. Joseph said there was good in all of the other churches.  And the Spirit has testified to me that my worship in other churches was acceptable.  I have a testimony of this Church as the true church, but that does not mean I am dismissive of nor denigrate my previous methods of worship or the worship of God by family and friends who are in those other churches.  To say it's false worship is insulting and wrong,  it's more like being on the first rung of a ladder or taking your first steps as a toddler. 

When worship isn't correct it is false worship, as shown by logic and reasoning.  Whatever isn't correct is false.  I know other churches have some elements or fragments of truth as well as false elements or elements, whatever those are, but still whatever isn'r true and correct is false and incorrect.  I was in another church too, which was a false one, before I found the true church of Jesus Christ, and I know other people have come from a false one to the one and only true one too, but that doesn't change anything about how false and incorrect that false church was and still is and how that church will always be a false one instead of the one and only true one.  But yes I do give them credit for the truth they have and may yet discover.