Seriously No Politics ×

Is visiting other church's 'inappropriate'

51 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

I don't know, I've often thought I'd like to volunteer as the Celestial Kingdom greeter, getting to let all the recently deceased know Mormonism was the right choice.

Kind of like that South Park scene.

I want to be a destroying angel. I know how to wreck things.

52 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

I don't know, I've often thought I'd like to volunteer as the Celestial Kingdom greeter, getting to let all the recently deceased know Mormonism was the right choice.

That actually might be quite fun as long as I knew they weren’t going to be suffering because they got it wrong. 

11 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

"Jerks" is far from being "hate filled monsters". 

Yes- they believe there is one true church and the rest are counterfeits. But the bunker mentality of avoiding any exposure to the faith and worship of others because they believe they are right, isn't a justification in my mind. To me, that sounds a bit like a racist being justified in their racism because they really, truly believe it. I don't respect or appreciate an attitude of "I know what's right so I'm justified". IMO there is always room for some humility in our beliefs. Absolute certitude is dangerous and quite off-putting.

Hi Happy Jack.

I wasn't trying to imply that you were saying that your family are "hate filled monsters". "Jerk" is far from that but bad enough. I worded it poorly. I meant that I do not know your family at all. You do. I was hoping that perhaps you were forgetting their convictions, which I can see, are off-putting to you. 

Truly, all I was trying for was to reconcile, not alienate someone from his family by sharing how I might, as one who perhaps appreciates your family's position, could be sympathetic with them. Maybe they are wrong. Maybe they are jerk! I am glad they are certainly not monsters of hate. 

I have no concern in this except to help you, if possible, to be less offended with those who perhaps love you. Blessed are the peacemakers? But shoot, it isn't for me, so I can chalk one up for "peacemaker me". I want the best for you all. I like you and your family, from what I know of you (little). It is better if we do not pursue mental exercises which could encourage bitterness towards family, or anybody, whether it would be just or unjust. 

I fear that I, the pious preacher, am more guilty than anybody. Miserere nobis. God have mercy.

All my best to you and your family, that you be happy.

3DOP

1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

Having graded a number of school papers and have done mystery shopping where I evaluated how employees did their jobs I have no interest in being a "greeter".

4 hours ago, Baba Lou said:

No I am not, have not, and will not.  I don't ever automatically agree to anything.

This is what you are agreeing to when you click the “I agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy” when you sign up.  Be sure to expand the quote and read the bolded phrase. 

Forum Terms & Rules

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below and those posted on the main page. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of MD&D Board.

Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this message board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violate of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. Further, you agree to abide by the guidelines and assign the message board absolute permission to use any part or entire portions of material you post on the Mormon Dialogue and Discussion Board.

Edited by Calm
8 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Which they stole from Rowan Atkinson.

A later and slightly more developed version...this one has the Americans and Mormons mentioned as well as including a certain Once and Allegedly Future President:

Edited by Calm
12 hours ago, Baba Lou said:

No I am not, have not, and will not.  I don't ever automatically agree to anything.

Does this mean

1) you are not, have not, and will not agree to abide by the rules or

2) does it mean you are, have, and will consciously and with intent agree to abide by the rules or

3)  does it mean you are, have, and will consciously and with intent disagree to abide by the rules or

4) does it mean you don’t even think about rules as you plan to do what you want no matter what, no matter the buttons pushed or boxes checked by you?

Feel free to just respond by number as in “#4 is correct” (only if it is, of course).

2 hours ago, Calm said:

Does this mean

1) you are not, have not, and will not agree to abide by the rules or

2) does it mean you are, have, and will consciously and with intent agree to abide by the rules or

3)  does it mean you are, have, and will consciously and with intent disagree to abide by the rules or

4) does it mean you don’t even think about rules as you plan to do what you want no matter what, no matter the buttons pushed or boxes checked by you?

Feel free to just respond by number as in “#4 is correct” (only if it is, of course).

I wonder if the board can give Ahab a chance to redeem himself, and be able to come clean and not have to keep creating accounts in order to post. Can someone get a break here? 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I wonder if the board can give Ahab a chance to redeem himself, and be able to come clean and not have to keep creating accounts in order to post. Can someone get a break here? 

I feel like I need to apologize for being more than a little rude. It's just that some people really get on my nerves. I'll try to be better.

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

17 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

I feel like I need to apologize for being more than a little rude. It's just that some people really get on my nerves. I'll try to be better.

This is one case where I just can't agree.  His flouting of the rules has literally gone on for years.  Moreover, his signal to noise ratio is one of the worst I've ever seen and he frequently says deeply offensive things to people.  Finally, I've seen absolutely no evidence of contrition on his part.   I'm happy to be corrected if I am wrong about any of these observations, but his case seems (to me) to be one of the more egregious to occur on this board.

1 minute ago, ttribe said:

This is one case where I just can't agree.  His flouting of the rules has literally gone on for years.  Moreover, his signal to noise ratio is one of the worst I've ever seen and he frequently says deeply offensive things to people.  Finally, I've seen absolutely no evidence of contrition on his part.   I'm happy to be corrected if I am wrong about any of these observations, but his case seems (to me) to be one of the more egregious to occur on this board.

Oh, I completely agree with you. I just think I wasn't justified in being as rude as I was.

Just now, jkwilliams said:

I'm aspiring to be a "jackal" and member of the "raging mob."

Really?  I think that would be a downgrade.  Those of us in the mob look to you for leadership and support.

6 minutes ago, ttribe said:

I put an ignore on his posts so I don't see them anymore.

2 minutes ago, JAHS said:

I put an ignore on his posts so I don't see them anymore.

1 minute ago, jkwilliams said:

I did too, but as soon as I do, he gets a new screen name. Lather, rinse, repeat. So annoying.

Yep, it's another way he circumvents the control systems of the board.

On 6/8/2021 at 6:35 PM, Peppermint Patty said:

If there is any hesitancy among LDS to attend other religious services it might have deep roots in the notion that God told Joseph Smith that all creeds were an abomination in his sight (JosephSmith-History 1:18-19).

Yep I was taught this growing up. I am 100% sure neither one of my parents would attend another church service unless it was a funeral of a friend. That would not happen either because I can’t name one friend they have who is not Mormon. Don’t recall there ever being any either. Just to be safe I’ll say they have one non Mormon friend. 

14 hours ago, 3DOP said:

Hi Happy Jack.

I wasn't trying to imply that you were saying that your family are "hate filled monsters". "Jerk" is far from that but bad enough. I worded it poorly. I meant that I do not know your family at all. You do. I was hoping that perhaps you were forgetting their convictions, which I can see, are off-putting to you. 

Truly, all I was trying for was to reconcile, not alienate someone from his family by sharing how I might, as one who perhaps appreciates your family's position, could be sympathetic with them. Maybe they are wrong. Maybe they are jerk! I am glad they are certainly not monsters of hate. 

I have no concern in this except to help you, if possible, to be less offended with those who perhaps love you. Blessed are the peacemakers? But shoot, it isn't for me, so I can chalk one up for "peacemaker me". I want the best for you all. I like you and your family, from what I know of you (little). It is better if we do not pursue mental exercises which could encourage bitterness towards family, or anybody, whether it would be just or unjust. 

I fear that I, the pious preacher, am more guilty than anybody. Miserere nobis. God have mercy.

All my best to you and your family, that you be happy.

3DOP

I probably should have inserted the ubiquitous smiley face emoji after I said that. I know you were just trying to be helpful.

I'm sure they love me in their way but your comment does cause me to think a little about what love is. If someone says they love you and that they care about you, does that love override disrespect, disappointment, disapproval, rudeness etc? Serious question. I think there are many different levels of love and what it means to the giver and receiver. It also makes me wonder how worthwhile love is if it is given in a way that alienates the intended recipient.

Sidenote- People, there is no need to continue feeding the troll :) 

Edited by HappyJackWagon