Jump to content

Church ends saturday evening sessions for general conference


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, secondclasscitizen said:

People are lame if they will get out of bed for a stupid donut. Now if they start serving coffee… I’m in 😎

Not just any stupid donut. A Krispy Kreme!

image.jpeg.0ea1c3d72e5c22abdaed288fc1883c48.jpeg

 

But that’s OK. I’ve never grasped the appeal of coffee. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Tacenda said:

The church isn't the church we all knew and loved, I guess there's a need to bring it back to the home learning but very sad to see the old traditions slowly fading out.

You are right, it isn't the church you knew.  It isn't USA centric now.  It's a world wide church, USA traditions don't apply to a large number of members.  Home learning may be much more useful worldwide.  I believe the Prophet is being led to create a unified and uniform world wide church.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, secondclasscitizen said:

Or simply just have two sacrament meetings a month and the rest of our time be with family, friends or whatever we want.

Which may not be so congenial or easy to do for single members who are the majority of members in some places. I want to take the Sacrament weekly.  One of the things I love about this church.  Why should I impose on friends every other week to be able to do so?

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Not just any stupid donut. A Krispy Kreme!

image.jpeg.0ea1c3d72e5c22abdaed288fc1883c48.jpeg

 

But that’s OK. I’ve never grasped the appeal of coffee. 

I don't drink coffee very often (it has to be a cold day and good coffee), but the good stuff is pretty heavenly. Now you're making me want to leave the house and go get a nice cup. :)

Edited by jkwilliams
Link to comment
9 hours ago, bluebell said:

This happens in the parks around us.  Rent on the lots is around $600-$800 a month (and according to one friend of mine they keep going up each year), and then if you are paying on your trailer, it can add up really quickly.  But most people who live there are there because they don't qualify to buy a home for whatever reason (and renting a house is even more expensive) so they are trapped.

Just to clarify, I said lot rent was around$350 or so in my area, I just talked to the guy I helped buy a trailer, apparently in the past three years lot rent has gone from $350  to $480, that's crazy. 

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Just to clarify, I said lot rent was around$350 or so in my area, I just talked to the guy I helped buy a trailer, apparently in the past three years lot rent has gone from $350  to $480, that's crazy. 

If you don’t mind strong language, you really should watch the John Oliver episode the Nehor linked to. There are classes where they teach investors to go buy trailer parks, and jack up the rent. They describe the renters as hostages, teach that they can’t afford to  move their trailer, so if they can’t pay rent, you kick them out and then claim their “abandoned” property. Unfettered capitalism is truly the greatest ;)

Edited by SeekingUnderstanding
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

By the way, I wondered whether you would correct your own misspelling of impugn once the correct spelling was modeled for you. Guess not. 

You can always tell who is losing an internet argument by who starts correcting the grammar or spelling of the other user. My personal favorite is when they add a “sic” when quoting someone. 

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

You can always tell who is losing an internet argument by who starts correcting the grammar or spelling of the other user. My personal favorite is when they add a “sic” when quoting someone. 

When people learn I'm a writer and editor by profession, they say something about how they have to watch their grammar and spelling around me. I'm more offended by poor argumentation and bad logic than I am by grammar or spelling. I almost never correct posters' grammar, unless of course it's someone who should know better, like a former newspaper editor. Life's too short to be pedantic, you know. 

Edited by jkwilliams
Link to comment
Just now, jkwilliams said:

My personal favorite is when they add a “sic” when quoting someone. 

I feel obligated to use “sic” at times because not changing it might lead to confusion, but correcting it without indicating it is being changed feels wrong to me, like I am claiming something that doesn’t belong to me. 

Link to comment
Just now, Calm said:

I feel obligated to use “sic” at times because not changing it might lead to confusion, but correcting it without indicating it is being changed feels wrong to me, like I am claiming something that doesn’t belong to me. 

Just FYI, I wasn't the one who wrote that. But I've used "sic" when appropriate. I just don't bother usually with minor spelling or grammar mistakes. This is an online message board, not the New York Review of Books.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, sheilauk said:

You are right, it isn't the church you knew.  It isn't USA centric now.  It's a world wide church, USA traditions don't apply to a large number of members.  Home learning may be much more useful worldwide.  I believe the Prophet is being led to create a unified and uniform world wide church.

Kind of makes me wish we were like other churches that are separate for a half a second then.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

When people learn I'm a writer and editor by profession, they say something about how they have to watch their grammar and spelling around me. I'm more offended by poor argumentation and bad logic than I am by grammar. I almost never correct posters' grammar, unless of course it's someone who should know better, like a former newspaper editor. Life's too short to be pedantic, you know. 

What’s impressive about the post in question, was how passive aggressive the whole thing was. It literally* dripped with condescension. 
 

*@Scott Lloyd - ‘literally’ here was used on purpose here used in a figurative sense. No need to correct me. 

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Calm said:

I feel obligated to use “sic” at times because not changing it might lead to confusion, but correcting it without indicating it is being changed feels wrong to me, like I am claiming something that doesn’t belong to me. 

Well I am referring to someone using a quote function on a board like this one where there is no confusion of where a post comes from. And* I’ve never seen it done without being a dig at another poster. 
 

*@Scott Lloyd. No need for correction. I intentionally started that sentence with “and”

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Well I am referring to someone using a quote function on a board like this one where there is no confusion of where a post comes from. And* I’ve never seen it done without being a dig at another poster. 
 

*@Scott Lloyd. No need for correction. I intentionally started that sentence with “and”

Nothing wrong with starting a sentence with "and."

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Well I am referring to someone using a quote function on a board like this one where there is no confusion of where a post comes from. And* I’ve never seen it done without being a dig at another poster. 
 

*@Scott Lloyd. No need for correction. I intentionally started that sentence with “and”

 

8 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Nothing wrong with starting a sentence with "and."

I agree. 
 

Talk about passive aggressive!

Link to comment
2 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

I don't drink coffee very often (it has to be a cold day and good coffee), but the good stuff is pretty heavenly. Now you're making me want to leave the house and go get a nice cup. :)

I’m making you want to get coffee because I said I didn’t like it or because I posted a picture of donuts?

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I’m making you want to get coffee because I said I didn’t like it or because I posted a picture of donuts?

All it takes is a mention of coffee, apparently. It's the elixir of life. 

BTW, I've never been a big fan of Krispy Kreme. Way too sweet for me. Maybe they're better dunked in coffee. :)

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Scott Lloyd said:

 

I agree. 
 

Talk about passive aggressive!

Sorry, I didn’t mean to be passive aggressive at all. I was actively making fun of your pedantic need to correct the grammar of other posters. Sorry if that came across passively. 

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

All it takes is a mention of coffee, apparently. It's the elixir of life. 

BTW, I've never been a big fan of Krispy Kreme. Way too sweet for me. Maybe they're better dunked in coffee. :)

So you want some whenever it’s mentioned, but you don’t drink it very often? You are indeed iron-willed. 

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

All it takes is a mention of coffee, apparently. It's the elixir of life. 

BTW, I've never been a big fan of Krispy Kreme. Way too sweet for me. Maybe they're better dunked in coffee. :)

Then you must patronize Dunkin'Donut.  :acute:

Link to comment
Just now, Scott Lloyd said:

So you want some whenever it’s mentioned, but you don’t drink it very often? You are indeed iron-willed. 

Oh, no, I'm not iron-willed at all (you knew that already). But no, I don't drink it often. Just sounds good this morning. Apparently, sometimes the mere mention of something makes me think I'd like it. Like coffee this morning. And why in the world would refraining from having a coffee be related at all to one's will, iron or not? I'm baking some sourdough bread right now, and the house is beginning to fill with the aroma of warm bread. I think I'll have some when it's done, as I'm apparently too weak-willed to abstain. 🤣

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to be passive aggressive at all. I was actively making fun of your pedantic need to correct the grammar of other posters. Sorry if that came across passively. 

The fact is, most of what I notice I let pass without mentioning it — by a ratio of about 10 to 1. I’ve learned, though, how pissed off you get by that one time out of 10. 

Link to comment
Just now, longview said:

Then you must patronize Dunkin'Donut.  :acute:

I've heard their coffee is passable, but their doughnuts are vile. The best doughnuts I have ever had were in a little place in Richmond, Virginia. My kids would actually beg us to drive 2 hours from our house just to get them. We only got them when we were on our way to and from a weekend in Virginia Beach. But, dang, those doughnuts were fantastic.

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...