Seriously No Politics ×

Church ends saturday evening sessions for general conference

5 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

I've heard their coffee is passable, but their doughnuts are vile. The best doughnuts I have ever had were in a little place in Richmond, Virginia. My kids would actually beg us to drive 2 hours from our house just to get them. We only got them when we were on our way to and from a weekend in Virginia Beach. But, dang, those doughnuts were fantastic.

Wish I'd known, just got back from vacationing in VA. We drove by Richmond constantly. 

9 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

The best doughnuts I have ever had were in a little place in Richmond, Virginia

Probably the Sugar Shack. I'm not much on sweets but whenever we're in Richmond my wife will get a couple dozen. Best smelling ride home ever😁 

Just now, AtlanticMike said:

Probably the Sugar Shack. I'm not much on sweets but whenever we're in Richmond my wife will get a couple dozen. Best smelling ride home ever😁 

Nope. Country Style Donuts. I've been to Sugar Shack. Pretty good, too.

18 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

I've heard their coffee is passable, but their doughnuts are vile. The best doughnuts I have ever had were in a little place in Richmond, Virginia. My kids would actually beg us to drive 2 hours from our house just to get them. We only got them when we were on our way to and from a weekend in Virginia Beach. But, dang, those doughnuts were fantastic.

When I was teaching my son to drive and helping him to log the required number of hours behind the wheel, we’d drive to Krispy Kreme in Orem, about 20-30 minutes away. 

After he got his license, they opened a Krispy Kreme less than five minutes from our house, but it had no appeal for him then. He really missed those Orem trips, though, and said so more than once. Apparently, it was the pilgrimage itself, far more than the donuts, that brought him pleasure. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
10 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

When I was teaching my son to drive and helping him to log the requisite number of hours behind the wheel, we’d drive to Krispy Kreme in Orem, about 20-30 minutes away. 

After he got his license, they opened a Krispy Kreme less than five minutes from our house, but it had no appeal for him then. He really missed those Orem trips, though, and said so more than once. Apparently, it was the pilgrimage itself, far more than the donuts, that brought him pleasure. 

Reminds me of driving 70 miles to the Houston Temple each week. The conversations in the car with my wife were always the highlight.

ETA: The bread is out of the oven, and my will is faltering.

Edited by jkwilliams

The best donuts I have ever had were in a little shop in San Francisco. The 2nd best were in a little shop in Sacramento. The 3rd best in Logan, Utah at Johnny O’s Spudnuts. 

I only like Krispy Kreme’s glazed and only if I’m in the mood for a light, airy, melt in your mouth, donut. Lamar’s donuts are good for a chain/more traditional donut. 

Dunkin’ Donuts are terrible.

Just now, bsjkki said:

The best donuts I have ever had were in a little shop in San Francisco. The 2nd best were in a little shop in Sacramento. The 3rd best in Logan, Utah at Johnny O’s Spudnuts. 

I only like Krispy Kreme’s glazed and only if I’m in the mood for a light, airy, melt in your mouth, donut. Lamar’s donuts are good for a chain/more traditional donut. 

Krispy Kreme donuts are edible if there are no other options.  Dunkin donuts are gross.  I admit I don't see the appeal of Johnny O's.  I've never been to the Logan one but they opened up one in Layton and I was not a fan.  They went out of business in less than a year. Whatever magic happens in Logan they weren't able to replicate. 

11 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Spudnuts are legendary in Utah. I’ve not seen them in a long, long time, though. 

Added later: Spudnuts are called that because of the use of potato flour in the recipe. I learned just now by looking it up that the two Pelton brothers from Salt Lake who invented them developed the recipe by trying to replicate donuts they’d tasted in Germany. The coast-to-coast chain they established no longer exists, but a few independents have carried forward the tradition. Apparently this Johnny O’s (which I had never heard of) is one. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
55 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Well that *begs the question, why was I taught differently?

*Thanks for giving me an opening for that one! 

🙋🏻I can play! It raises the question, not begs the question. I appreciate the opening. 😉

23 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Spudnuts are legendary in Utah. I’ve not seen them in a long, long time, though. 

Added later: Spudnuts are called that because of the use of potato flour in the recipe. I learned just now by looking it up that the two Pelton brothers from Salt Lake who invented them developed the recipe by trying to replicate donuts they’d tasted in Germany. The coast-to-coast chain they established no longer exists, but a few independents have carried forward the tradition. Apparently this Johnny O’s (which I had never heard of) is one. 

Provo Bakery in Provo is quite good.

Sluy's Poulsbo Bakery in Poulsbo Washington is great.

Thanks,

-Smac

1 hour ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

You’re restraynt is truely legandery! 

I think I just bit Scott's bait. ;) But here goes, lol: restraint, truly, legendary 😁 Oops, and "your".

Edited by Tacenda
50 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

And this is apparently the legendary mix...at least according to its owner.

https://www.potadonuts.com

On 6/7/2021 at 8:43 AM, bluebell said:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/general-conference-update-june-2021

Thoughts?  

I have read a few posts from women on Facebook uplift worrying that we not be able to hear from our women leaders very often anymore with this change.  My husband is sad because he loved the priesthood session the most out of all the sessions.

I wonder why they are moving it back into the Conference center when the conference will still be virtual only for October?