Seriously No Politics ×

Church ends saturday evening sessions for general conference

8 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

I grew up in a trailer house. It’s not a bad way to live. It was a roof over our heads:)

Just be very careful if you consider this. A lot of the trailer park industry has become deeply predatory and people often find themselves trapped when they own their home but don’t own the land said home is on. They can sucker you in with fair rent at first but there is little stopping them from hiking the price later and it is not easy to relocate a trailer. Some can’t be relocated at all.

6 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

They would both be apostles. They would both do what apostles do.

It is also a way of spreading the workload a bit. It is a bit much for 15 people. You can bump it up to 30 without disturbing the numbering system.

Again, a weird theory of mine. I haven’t hammered out the details and won’t until I am called to the apostleship which should be some time in the next.....never.

Any day now, man. Any day. 

7 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Just be very careful if you consider this. A lot of the trailer park industry has become deeply predatory and people often find themselves trapped when they own their home but don’t own the land said home is on. They can sucker you in with fair rent at first but there is little stopping them from hiking the price later and it is not easy to relocate a trailer. Some can’t be relocated at all.

My grandfather owned it and let us live in it. It was relocated from one part of town to another. We lived on land he owned so we weren’t in a trailer park. Just saying they aren’t all bad. 

Edited by Peacefully
10 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

I grew up in a trailer house. It’s not a bad way to live. It was a roof over our heads:)

I hope you didn't think I was saying it was a bad way to live. I would have no problem living in a trailer, again, if I had to. I know a lot of retired military people that live in trailers because it's so cheap. Actually, a lot of the time living in a trailer and paying lot rent that's usually around $350 where I live is cheaper than annual property taxes on a house. It gives them the freedom to travel. I mentioned it to Chum because he sounded a little stressed, a lot of people don't realize how many trailers are sitting vacant just waiting to be fixed up and lived in. 

5 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

I don't know where you live or what your financial situation is, but if you get desperate and can't find somewhere to rent, you could always ride through trailer parks and look for empty trailers. A lot of the time the management company will do rent to own deals. Couple years ago I found a trailer for a guy who works for me and I bought it for $1800, put a knew floor in the bathroom, a window a/c and a couple doors, now he's got it looking really nice. He owns it outright and pays $360 in lot rent and only uses around $150 in electricity, that's cheap living man.  I've done this a couple times now to help people out, the management company usually just wants to collect lot rent so they will let the trailer go for cheap. Of course, I'm a semi redneck so if I got desperate I wouldn't mind living in a trailer😁. Anyway, good luck finding somewhere. Just thought I would throw this out there, never know.

That's awesome that will work in some places.  The trailers here in my area of Utah are expensive.  We have two trailer parks in our stake boundaries and I know some of the people who live there.  Some of them are paying more for their single wide (trailer plus lot rent) than I do for my mortgage.  

1 minute ago, AtlanticMike said:

I hope you didn't think I was saying it was a bad way to live. I would have no problem living in a trailer, again, if I had to. I know a lot of retired military people that live in trailers because it's so cheap. Actually, a lot of the time living in a trailer and paying lot rent that's usually around $350 where I live is cheaper than annual property taxes on a house. It gives them the freedom to travel. I mentioned it to Chum because he sounded a little stressed, a lot of people don't realize how many trailers are sitting vacant just waiting to be fixed up and lived in. 

No, I didn’t think that. I just wanted throw my two cents in before anyone decided to make trailer trash jokes. Not that it would happen here, lol. 

From my email announcement. 
General conference is an opportunity for Church members and friends worldwide to receive messages about the Savior Jesus Christ from living prophets and apostles through ever-expanding technologies.”

So maybe going forward we will only hear from “living prophets and apostles.” No women but only the 15? 

11 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

This happens in the parks around us.  Rent on the lots is around $600-$800 a month (and according to one friend of mine they keep going up each year), and then if you are paying on your trailer, it can add up really quickly.  But most people who live there are there because they don't qualify to buy a home for whatever reason (and renting a house is even more expensive) so they are trapped.

23 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

I lived in one for four years while saving for a home years ago with 4 children in tow. I loved it better than an apartment, where we had a nice little yard to plant a small garden and a nice deck too. Much better than an apartment if you can find a trailer for a good price. 

14 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

I hope you are right!

Me to. I'll admit, I'm a little worried we keep making the times we gather shorter and shorter. Church is shorter, temple ceremony is shorter, now conference possibly. I enjoy conference more than church, I listen to the talks 2 or 3 times sometimes. Boy scouts is kaput, that really hurt. I'm hoping this is leading up to something big. 

24 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

I lived in a trailer park for a few years when I was a kid and it was an awesome childhood.  It was not a fancy park but it was safe, and there were a billion kids to play with.  It was a kid heaven!

3 hours ago, jbarm said:

I think you hit the nail on the head for the folks complaining the most about the Women's session and the FP speakers.  I suspect they are really wanting to have women's priesthood ordination but don't want to fight that battle head on.

Just like most of those complaining about gay rights on this forum seem to be really aiming for gay temple marriage but won't say it out loud. 

If those are your real goals,  be honest about it and quit quibbling about these minor issues. 

Jb

I will say it. If it is the Lord’s will, I will welcome female ordination and same-sex temple sealings. 

Edit:

@jbarm Since you brought it up, can you say the same?

Edited by Peacefully
4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

That's awesome that will work in some places.  The trailers here in my area of Utah are expensive.  We have two trailer parks in our stake boundaries and I know some of the people who live there.  Some of them are paying more for their single wide (trailer plus lot rent) than I do for my mortgage.  

You're right, but there is a good one near Cherry Hill that my single brother lives in called Lloyd's Park and they are still a decent lot fee, but do know the big corps that raise lot fees so much.

3 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Me to. I'll admit, I'm a little worried we keep making the times we gather shorter and shorter. Church is shorter, temple ceremony is shorter, now conference possibly. I enjoy conference more than church, I listen to the talks 2 or 3 times sometimes. Boy scouts is kaput, that really hurt. I'm hoping this is leading up to something big. 

The church isn't the church we all knew and loved, I guess there's a need to bring it back to the home learning but very sad to see the old traditions slowly fading out.

3 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I lived in a trailer park for a few years when I was a kid and it was an awesome childhood.  It was not a fancy park but it was safe, and there were a billion kids to play with.  It was a kid heaven!

That sounds like fun. Not a lot of kids where I lived but it was a nice neighborhood:)

3 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Oh wow!! Not here, there might be two high end trailer parks here with lot rent in the $600 range, but most are really cheap. Actually, across the border in North Carolina lot rent just hit $200 to 250. A lot of people move there to live as cheap as possible, I don't blame them.

5 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

I think it is so we aren’t so dependent on the “church.” Home-centered, church-supported is our mantra. 

9 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I think people are taking advantage of the housing crunch. It’s bad out there.

6 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I lived in one for four years while saving for a home years ago with 4 children in tow. I loved it better than an apartment, where we had a nice little yard to plant a small garden and a nice deck too. Much better than an apartment if you can find a trailer for a good price. 

Yes, they can be a good alternative to an apartment:)

4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

This happens in the parks around us.  Rent on the lots is around $600-$800 a month (and according to one friend of mine they keep going up each year), and then if you are paying on your trailer, it can add up really quickly.  But most people who live there are there because they don't qualify to buy a home for whatever reason (and renting a house is even more expensive) so they are trapped.

Yeah, historically trailer parks were usually run by mom and pop setups. Now private equity firms are snapping them up and it is not going well.

If you want some despair watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCC8fPQOaxU

2 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Oh wow!! Not here, there might be two high end trailer parks here with lot rent in the $600 range, but most are really cheap. Actually, across the border in North Carolina lot rent just hit $200 to 250. A lot of people move there to live as cheap as possible, I don't blame them.

Sadly, these aren't even high end trailer parks.  I could understand that price for higher end parks.  These are low to middle income parks.  The management should be ashamed of themselves.

4 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

The church isn't the church we all knew and loved, I guess there's a need to bring it back to the home learning but very sad to see the old traditions slowly fading out.

I understand what you mean. Also, people are busier these days so I'm sure that's part of the reason for shortening everything. 

4 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I think people are taking advantage of the housing crunch. It’s bad out there.

I'm sure that is very true.  I haven't talked to anyone who lives in one about their lot rent since 2019.  I bet it's way worse now!