Seriously No Politics ×

Is god a mormon?

8 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

So....have I always seen God as a member of "my" church?  Do I still?  I think now as I really am honest, I have a hard time with the idea of God being a member of the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  It feels so very exclusive.  I get it, everyone is invited - but is that realistic?  Does it help us, in any way, to assume God is a Mormon?  

In my view, God’s gospel is actually even less “inclusive” in the sense of what one must do and know to be a part of it (though it is open to all willing to align their Will with God, so in that sense it is all inclusive...the door is open to all, but all may not choose to walk through) than being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which to me is more preparatory than end product, so to speak. Kindergarten or even preschool rather than the postgraduate level God exists in. 

Members will need to make more covenants, learn more details, and have much, much, much deeper understanding than they have now in order to be fully part of God’s Kingdom. There may even be principles of other faiths that nonmembers have been learning in mortality already that members will have to add to their experiences in order to move to the higher stages of God’s understanding of the Gospel.  

Members therefore if devout may be further ahead in some ways than other mortals, but there may be steps forward that are harder for us to take than for certain nonmembers.  And those nonmembers may struggle with things that come easily to members of the Church because we are currently living within that part of the full gospel paradigm already. 

Edited by Calm
5 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Sorry, I should have capitalized God and Mormon. 

I heard a monologue yesterday that grabbed my attention.  I wonder if others might feel the same way I do?

I have a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I love my church, and there are also things I dislike.  But I love it enough to embrace and participate fully.  

The more I travel, the more I see, the more people I come to know and appreciate, the more I come to think and feel that God is so much more than I understand.  So much more than I was taught in primary and have never really strayed from that understanding of HIm.  Such a limited view.  As I experience and grow and learn, I come to believe that I don't have the first clue about God.  But I am aware that He knows me inside and out, and that He is going to make all things right, both in my favor and against it, depending on me.  

So....have I always seen God as a member of "my" church?  Do I still?  I think now as I really am honest, I have a hard time with the idea of God being a member of the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  It feels so very exclusive.  I get it, everyone is invited - but is that realistic?  Does it help us, in any way, to assume God is a Mormon?  

Also, I know the word Mormon is a curse word to some.  I'm more reflecting on a time when I probably thought he was - like all through my 40s. 

The four Standard Works of scripture of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints are so full of information, from the very mouth of God himself, about his designs, nature, character, knowledge, wisdom, emotions and expectations that it seems odd for a member of the restored Church to say God is somehow an unknowable mystery. With so much freely shared knowledge about who and what God, why do you say you know next to nothing about him?

The Son of God himself testifies that the very essence of eternal life is to know God, yet you seem to admit you’re totally uninformed when it comes to the acquisition of this knowledge. What gives? Why with what amounts to a veritable flood of inspired knowledge about who and what God is do you say you know almost nothing about him? Does this amount to a tacit admission on your part that you don’t believe the scriptures.of the Church are actually inspired of God, and that’s the real reason why you say you know so little about him? Or is it just that it’s now considered fashionable to join with the chorus of the secular humanists in the large and spacious building in their false assertion that there is no such thing as knowable eternal truth?

The church is one institution on one planet established in one dispensation to aid people within that limited geographic and temporal ‘space’ in achieving salvation.

No, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are not members of that church. Christ metaphorically is the church and the spouse of the church but it is not an eternal construct. It serves a purpose God has passed. God uses the church but does not personally need it.

6 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

As my wife always reminds me, God can and does work through people of all religions. To limit him to a relatively small sect seems kind of blasphemous. 

Unless that small sect is the tip of His spear.  The same could be said of the Jews as His chosen people.  In Deuteronomy God explained that He chose Israel because it was small, and you may recall the blessing of Abraham in Genesis was that his seed should bless the entire earth -- all mankind.  Myopia can also entail not seeing the forest for the trees.

1 hour ago, JamesBYoung said:

I don't know God the Father hardly at all. I have a testimony of Jesus Christ and have been taught that He is the head of the church. God, I believe, is so much more than our language and symbols can capture and express. S/he is just so awesome to me.

I know many who feel that way.  The entire sectarian world seems to feel that way.

For me personally I find far more worthy of worship in an exalted man, as Joseph described the Father.  I find the idea of a being that became God through faith, obedience, and diligence absolutely worthy of adoration.

3 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

squggles

Like squiggles only less personal. 

3 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

No comment on the similarities. 

What, no smart quip about a ball and chain ??? 

Back to the OP . Is God a Universalist ?

Edited by strappinglad
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

The church is one institution on one planet established in one dispensation to aid people within that limited geographic and temporal ‘space’ in achieving salvation.

No, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are not members of that church. Christ metaphorically is the church and the spouse of the church but it is not an eternal construct. It serves a purpose God has passed. God uses the church but does not personally need it.

Yes, but can Odin survive if he has no believers?  What is Götterdämmerung if not the end of belief in the old gods? 

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yes, but can Odin survive if he has no believers?  What is Götterdämmerung if not the end of belief in the old gods? 

And so we have Nietzsche and Wagner killing off the old gods, in my opinion, a necessary step before a restoration of our real Father in the West.

Transcendence dies and immanence reigns

8 hours ago, Metis_LDS said:

D & C  76

54 They are they who are the achurch of the bFirstborn.  

The 
Church would seem to extend into the next life.

That's an entirely different Church.

18 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I heard a monologue yesterday that grabbed my attention.  I wonder if others might feel the same way I do?

I have a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I love my church, and there are also things I dislike.  But I love it enough to embrace and participate fully.  

The more I travel, the more I see, the more people I come to know and appreciate, the more I come to think and feel that God is so much more than I understand.  So much more than I was taught in primary and have never really strayed from that understanding of HIm.  Such a limited view.  As I experience and grow and learn, I come to believe that I don't have the first clue about God.  But I am aware that He knows me inside and out, and that He is going to make all things right, both in my favor and against it, depending on me.  

Also, I know the word Mormon is a curse word to some.  I'm more reflecting on a time when I probably thought he was - like all through my 40s. 

God was not baptized or confirmed into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latte-day Saints, and hasn't a membership record. I think it good to recognize healthy boundaries -- in this case, that God is not a member of any earthly church. He has authorized our Church, His kingdom on earth, to exercise the keys of salvation for our progress and return to Him. Our Church, as any other, will be terminated at some point, and those who are saved in the Celestial Kingdom will become members of the Church of the Firstborn instead.

You can commission an enterprise that serves and blesses others, and at the same time not require those same benefits or belong to it by providing direction to those to whom you have delegated authority and responsibility for it.

Edited by CV75
1 hour ago, Metis_LDS said:

Yes okay, but how can you be sure.  I do not want to argue.  So unless you have some specific proof you do not have to reply.

Because the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is an earthly organization established in 1830.  That is "the Church".

The Church of the Firstborn exists in all ages, beginning in premortal life.  It is a specific group of people who not only accept Christ but also follow and obey.  Those who are begotten his sons and daughters.

Only those in any age who inherit Christ's glory give by the Father are of the Church of the Firstborn.  That designation has nothing to do with the Church organizational entity.  It's the same false idea that identifies the Church as "The Kingdom of God".

D&C 93:21 And now, verily I say unto you, I was in the beginning with the Father, and am the Firstborn;
22 And all those who are begotten through me are partakers of the glory of the same, and are the church of the Firstborn

2 hours ago, Metis_LDS said:

Yes okay, but how can you be sure.  I do not want to argue.  So unless you have some specific proof you do not have to reply.

What was the specific proof you had for your assertion? ;)

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Odin may or may not but God does not need followers.

Depends on which god one has in mind.  The transcendent Judeo-Christian God, or the immanent God who weeps (Moses 7:28-29), and of whom it is said:  "This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" (Moses 1:39).  The true God not only yearns for followers, but it is His raison d'être.  He will literally give His life for the faithful, and has done so.

3 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Only those in any age who inherit Christ's glory give by the Father are of the Church of the Firstborn.  That designation has nothing to do with the Church organizational entity.  It's the same false idea that identifies the Church as "The Kingdom of God".

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Kingdom of God on Earth, and Russell Nelson is the President of the High Priesthood of that Kingdom as well as the President of that Church.  That Church is the Body of Christ.

There is a separate Kingdom of God in Heaven, which is a much grander kingdom.  Speculation on the mysteries is not advisable.

22 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

As my wife always reminds me, God can and does work through people of all religions. To limit him to a relatively small sect seems kind of blasphemous. 

Of course He does. He's always done that. He's always had to do that.

But He has also always worked through a covenant people, in particular, in sending His son to earth, amongst a people wherein His son might be taught according to His doctrine, and by dint of upbringing and heritage made it possible for His son to complete the Atonement.

There is a tendency among some to so dilute God so as to make every religion His religion, or in other words, to make no one of them inherently most valuable. King Frederick the Great is known in Germany for his famous dictum: "Jeder soll nach seiner Fassung selig werden." Or, "Everyone shall be saved according to his own belief." Putting every belief level with every other, or, with no belief at all. I got that saying handed to me during many attempts at a door approach when I served my mission in Germany. 

The Father sent His son to earth among the Jews, under the Law of Moses, to win for us salvation from sin. Because they were, however imperfectly, following His law. This makes the Law of Moses inherently more valuable than any other religion at that time. Salvation was amongst the Jews.  And then it wasn't, because it was amongst the Primitive Church. But even after the Apostasy, the doctrine of Christ was still there, however corrupted it might have become, and so there was still a most valuable belief, one that could best lead towards salvation.

Of course God works through Buddhism, Islam, Confucianism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, and so on, and even the many forms of Paganism. Because in order to work with all His children, He has to do so, in order to meet them all where they are.

But regardless of whether God works through them all, there is nevertheless a single path to salvation, which is through Jesus Christ, and at this time there is but one organization which holds the authority and the complete doctrine of God. However imperfect it might be, it is the source of the true Light. You know which one I'm talking about, of course.

On 5/28/2021 at 8:21 PM, MustardSeed said:

The board software won't let you, I don't think. It has definite ways, and it is its way or the highway, lol.

In answer to your question, "Is God a Mormon?" The answer is "No, God is not a Mormon."  The supreme being doesn't belong to any sect or religious body, not even the religious body He directed to be founded through His son, Jesus Christ.

4 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Which beginning was that ? 

AS for whether God was baptized . Christ said He did nothing except He has seen the Father do. Hmm . (Ref; CV75's post )

I agree that God (the Father) was (most probably) baptized, but not under the auspices of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Jesus certainly wasn't.

15 minutes ago, CV75 said:

I agree that God (the Father) was (most probably) baptized, but not under the auspices of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Jesus certainly wasn't.

Doesn't our doctrine teach that the priesthood is what we are baptized under? And I mean all of God's children, not just us here on this planet. I've always looked at as the "church" meaning the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is just the vehicle God uses to teach us universal truths that are followed throughout his kingdom and kingdoms of other eternal God's. Meaning, in a galaxy far far away could be a totally different organization named something besides our Church's name. The commonality being the priesthood. 

So if true, that means when we get to heaven and meet our siblings from other planets we'll be asking them what the name of the church was on their planet. Maybe  something like, " The Church of Tyrone of Latter Day Saints" from planet Zerth. Could happen, never know 😁