Seriously No Politics ×

No more time-only marriages in the temple

7 minutes ago, Damien the Leper said:

I've been to many beautiful home and yard weddings. Personally, I'd take that over an indoor venue (weather permitting) any day.

Yes, weather permitting. I remember a frantic relocation due to rain at my brother in laws wedding. 

5 minutes ago, Calm said:

If cell phones were around back then, I think I would have taken extensive pictures just so I could do the same with my kids...but so far only my son has been married and I kind of stood back and just told my husband to write a check for our part after hooking up the talent on my side with the in-law side (my sister in laws did the flowers while the bride’s friend did the cake).

If my daughter ever gets married, guessing it will be jeans and t shirts with a friend or relative who did an online application to marry them with an Asian buffet and a cream puff tree wedding and ginger beer and cucumber mint drinks to toast.  

Your daughter has style and class! Asian buffet better come with some killer Hot n Sour soup.

23 minutes ago, Damien the Leper said:

Asian buffet better come with some killer Hot n Sour soup.

One of my former Young Men married a convert who is the only member in her family. After the sealing, they took their respective nieces and nephews to the beach for a swim, and then we met up again at 5pm at an Asian buffet where we all paid for ourselves to eat dinner together. (That was all the 'gifts' they asked for.) It was low-key and fun. I loved it!

My daughter in law payed for her wedding from her McDonalds wages. It was at the stake center. We payed for photos/flowers and Chinese buffet. You don’t want to offend her or her family by looking down on the wedding they can provide. It’s a fine line between helping vs insulting. My brother, who is quite wealthy was on the grooms side and her family were teachers. It’s not at all what they would have planned but you can’t always come in and throw your money around. 

Just now, let’s roll said:

Reading the thread and it occurs to me we might want petition for one last Saturday evening GC session open to all with the theme of examining and living the 2nd Commandment with an eternal perspective.  

I, for one, know that I would benefit from such a session.

Oops, put this in the wrong thread....reposting in the correct one.

1 hour ago, Damien the Leper said:

People still use checks?!? Venmo, Zelle, CashApp, etc. are the way to go.

This was in 2005. Recently I have only used checks to pay family for helping out. 

37 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

One of my former Young Men married a convert who is the only member in her family. After the sealing, they took their respective nieces and nephews to the beach for a swim, and then we met up again at 5pm at an Asian buffet where we all paid for ourselves to eat dinner together. (That was all the 'gifts' they asked for.) It was low-key and fun. I loved it!

That would have been heaven. We went down the coast for my honeymoon and the best part was walking through the tidal pools. Second best was eating Peking duck at a restaurant perched out over an estuary iirc and having an otter swim up to the window next to our table and take a serious look at us.  Hit the aquarium as well. 

3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Perhaps they could borrow the larger yard of a neighbor, relative or friend. 

2 hours ago, bsjkki said:

That is also often not available to many. I have no one I would feel comfortable asking that of.

True. And for the record, I see nothing wrong at all with using a meetinghouse cultural hall for a wedding reception. It seemed like that was a lot more common in the time and milieu I was raised in. Families didn’t have a whole lot of money back then, and there were fewer options available for use as reception centers. 

On 5/25/2021 at 8:05 AM, smac97 said:

That's already the case in some countries, such as the UK, where a marriage ceremony must be open to the public in order to be legally recognized.

If this comes to the U.S., I predict it will come via enforcement of "public accommodations" and anti-discrimination statutes. .....................

As John Philpot Curran put it: “The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance.”  And even then, religious liberty is at risk..................

I see no such risk, and this case posed no real threat to those two ministers -- even though they were operating a for-profit wedding business.  This was not a religious case, but a public accommodations case in which the ministers were exempt.

Boise-based attorney Kirtlan Naylor wrote in the city’s legal response, that while the Knapps claim they lost income when they closed the Hitching Post because they would be in violation of the ordinance, they never allege “that they had any weddings scheduled on those dates, or that anybody came to their business requesting a wedding on those dates.”

“More so, same-sex marriage was not legal in Idaho on Oct. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 14,” the motion states. “Additionally, on Oct. 15, 2014, when same-sex marriage became legal, Plaintiffs would not have been subject to the ordinance because they were exempt. Therefore, they were under no legitimate threat of prosecution which would require them to close their business on that date.”

According to the Hitching Post owners’ complaint, the Knapps closed their business due to “a constant state of fear that they would be arrested and prosecuted if they declined to perform a same-sex ceremony.” However, the article referenced above also reiterated a city spokesman’s statement that officials “have never threatened to jail them, or take legal action of any kind” against them.  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/coercion-d39alene/

Edited by Robert F. Smith

I’ve been thinking more about “Time only” temple weddings. While they’ve never served any real legal or doctrinal purpose (at least, that a courthouse wedding couldn’t have accomplished), I think the couples involved tended to attach their own significance to the temple locus. It was like they were re-affirming their commitment to their eternal spouses while relieving themselves of any guilty feelings about boinking someone else’s eternal spouse for the rest of mortality.

I would give myself only about a 1-in-5 chance of outliving my wife, but, regardless, there would be virtually zero chance that I’d ever remarry, in or out of the temple. One, I’d never do that to my kids and grandkids; and, two, I’d never be able to assuage my sense of guilt over doing the deed with another woman.

21 minutes ago, esodije said:

I’ve been thinking more about “Time only” temple weddings. While they’ve never served any real legal or doctrinal purpose

Simply not true.

19 hours ago, esodije said:

I’ve been thinking more about “Time only” temple weddings. While they’ve never served any real legal or doctrinal purpose (at least, that a courthouse wedding couldn’t have accomplished), I think the couples involved tended to attach their own significance to the temple locus. It was like they were re-affirming their commitment to their eternal spouses while relieving themselves of any guilty feelings about boinking someone else’s eternal spouse for the rest of mortality.

I would give myself only about a 1-in-5 chance of outliving my wife, but, regardless, there would be virtually zero chance that I’d ever remarry, in or out of the temple. One, I’d never do that to my kids and grandkids; and, two, I’d never be able to assuage my sense of guilt over doing the deed with another woman.

I am a widow and try as I might I just can't see getting romantically in love and physically involved with another woman. I already had the best and will always have her and only her. Maybe that will change when I get even older than I am now, but I doubt it.

On 6/10/2021 at 9:05 PM, esodije said:

One, I’d never do that to my kids and grandkids;

I’m not sure what you’d be doing to them.  
my husband says he’d never marry again but he would and I’m ok with that.  I would marry again outside the temple, probably even a non member if he supported my activity, and I’d think of him as a bonus love in life.  But let’s hope it never comes to that. 

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

I’m not sure what you’d be doing to them.  
my husband says he’d never marry again but he would and I’m ok with that.  I would marry again outside the temple, probably even a non member if he supported my activity, and I’d think of him as a bonus love in life.  But let’s hope it never comes to that. 

My wife used to play this morbid game of "If I died, would you consider dating [random acquaintance or ward member]?" The correct answer was always, "No!"

If I found myself suddenly single after 34 years, I don't know what I'd do. If I died, I'd hope my wife would find someone else. She's said before she wouldn't want me to be alone.