Seriously No Politics ×

Looking for brother jason r thomas

Hello and apologies for intruding on your forum as a non-LDS Church member :)

I'm Tamas and I'd like to reconnect with a certain Jason Randall Thomas (I believe this is his full name, if memory serves). He participated in a teacher exchange program in the early 90s and taught English at our high school in Koszeg, Hungary.

I'd be grateful if someone could put me in contact with him. I can be reached at tamas.horvath.london@gmail.com.

Thank you,

Tamas Horvath

jason.jpg

Any family names you remember?  There are several with the name Jason R Thomas in Utah.  I am guessing he would be late 40’s or early 50’s  by now.

I wonder if you might have some luck on ancestry.com or even mission reunions for missionaries from Hungary. While he may not have been a missionary himself, though many return to the countries to teach English after their mission in my experience, I am thinking he may have hung out with missionaries who were there and they might remember more details about him. 

Jason Randall Thomas, if I recall correctly. I'm 44, he must be in his fifties I reckon.

I think he was a missionary previously, at the nearby town of Szombathely, before teaching English at our school. And yes, I recall he was meeting with fellow missionaries, I think I met two of them as well.

1 minute ago, TamasH said:

Jason Randall Thomas, if I recall correctly. I'm 44, he must be in his fifties I reckon.

I think he was a missionary previously, at the nearby town of Szombathely, before teaching English at our school. And yes, I recall he was meeting with fellow missionaries, I think I met two of them as well.

Missionary route is probably the best way to go. He may be in connection with old companions, maybe even still going to missionary reunions. 

If someone else doesn’t get to it first, I will try and track down the mission for you.

16 minutes ago, TamasH said:

Any chance he's early fifties and still an avid runner like he was? :)

he would be about 50 but not an avid runner and wasn't in Hungary, sadly or from SLC. Good luck on your search!

I did some digging on MyHeritage, which can be better for post 1950s records. I didn't see any good fits. A guy w/ all Calif addresses was as close as I got.

This SLC obit lists one possibility. Decedent was born in 1927.  If she birthed Jason Randall Thomas in her 40s, he'd be the right age.

edit: The family from the obit has a MyHeritage page. I'll reach out to them and see if their JRT served in Hungary.

edit: Found 2 folks with the decedent in their tree. Messaged both. I'll post back if I hear anything.

Edited by Chum

There was a Jason Thomas who was a coach in cross country at Highland in SLC in 2004, but couldn’t see if he was still there. 

Given he was an avid runner, might be worth it to contact the school and find out if he is still a coach and if not, if they have a forwarding address.

Edited by Calm

Facebook?  (I actively avoid Facebook myself, so I wouldn't be of much help ... <_< :rolleyes:)

But, best wishes!  Happy hunting!  Hope you find him! :)

So a Bishop friend says the Church may be able to help you find your friend.   Rather than just give you the info, if they find him they will ask permission to give you the info.  I am guessing with the name, age, and the fact he went on a mission to Hungary around a certain time period, they may be able to track him. Others more familiar with church records will need to say if they keep mission info.  I am pretty sure they do. 

I don’t know who you would contact though. Forgot to ask. Will do that now.