Seriously No Politics ×

Q on no politics banner

Chum

4 hours ago, Calm said:

Same here. Think it is just a reminder. Way too much of a hassle to design and pay for running a program to identify political posts. Would not it be nice though?

I never considered automated content review. The tech is still way past the horizon.

5 minutes ago, Chum said:

I never considered automated content review. The tech is still way past the horizon.

From the time it takes for reported posts to be dealt with, my guess is the mods aren’t around very much and respond more to reported posts than finding stuff themselves..which is why I was thinking automated.  But I could be wrong and they are here and just quiet. 

Edited by Calm
11 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

There probably is a political algorithm. 

Much like political opinions, it couldn't be a very good one.  Even human beings don't qualify politics well and we invented this crap.

4 hours ago, Chum said:

Much like political opinions, it couldn't be a very good one.  Even human beings don't qualify politics well and we invented this crap.

Good or bad, some think that political algorithms are already too powerful:

...algorithms that control autocorrect on your phone could also be used to feed you fake news; how nations are using algorithms to create terrifying new weapons of war; and how algorithms make decisions about people based on their race.  https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/lseiq-are-algorithms-too-powerful/

PEW Research suggests that such algorithms are indeed bad:

Facebook Algorithms and Personal Data

About half of Facebook users say they are not comfortable when they see how the platform categorizes them, and 27% maintain the site's classifications do not accurately represent them  https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2019/01/16/facebook-algorithms-and-personal-data/

A Hamburg Univ professor lectured on this subject in Oslo in 2018:

The future of big data and algorithms is often associated with a double imagery: on the one hand, algorithms by themselves seem to assume agency in the black box of the computer. Their operations are invisible and incomprehensible to most of us. On the other hand, algorithms raise the hope that society be rendered transparent and thus governable, to the extent that the social sciences might become obsolete. Yet, algorithms do not just represent reality, they create a particular reality. Although, in a way, seeming to be smarter than us, they also reduce "our" world according to their own "protocologics". The lecture analyses the different style of reasoning algorithms engage in, compared to human sense making. Algorithms, it is argued, have no secrets, but they may be seductive: once we attribute them the ability to speak the truth and once we concede them the right to decide on the fate of ourselves, or others. Instead of overestimating algorithms' anonymous power, we should recognize their skills for what they are - while making ourselves being aware of the political implications.  https://www.prio.org/Events/Event/?x=8680

Edited by Robert F. Smith
On 5/17/2021 at 9:08 AM, Chum said:

When the No Politics banner reappears, should I be reviewing my recent posts or is it's reappearance unrelated to my actions?

For you it means you should review them.  For the rest of us it is a warning us that you have posted something political and not take the bait you set out.

Edited by Rain
On 5/17/2021 at 11:08 AM, Chum said:

When the No Politics banner reappears, should I be reviewing my recent posts or is it's reappearance unrelated to my actions?

It's related to your actions, but not in the way you are thinking. It's based on a token or cookie that just expires after a period of time.

To see what I mean, just open a new private browsing window (e.g., incognito mode) and navigate to the site; you'll see the banner appear.

Now, log into your account, close the banner, browse somewhere else and come back and you'll see that the banner is still gone because you're still in the same browsing session (hence the cookie / token remains).

Close the window completely though and that will be cleared. Open a new private browsing window once more and return to the website; you will then see that the banner appears again.

If it is fixed to a duration then I assume everyone else is also getting the same sub-messages on the banner. I think it is randomized. Here are the ones I have gotten so far:

”They authorities want you to know that vigilantism will not be tolerated and that they know it was you.”

”The angels are dead.”

”Your demons find you very attractive.”

”We know you know we are listening.”

“She never recovered from what happened and it is all your fault.”

”The parasites in your brain are growing. Repent, for the end is nigh!”

”Gold is a solid investment opportunity you should take advantage of.”

”You’re not fooling anybody. We all see right through you.”

Did anyone get any other ones? Is it like Pokémon and if you collect them all you get a prize?

3 hours ago, Amulek said:

It's related to your actions, but not in the way you are thinking. It's based on a token or cookie that just expires after a period of time.

I knew it showed up in the absence of an Auth token. I was just wondering of Mods might also might soft-trigger it, as a method of herding the cats.  Looks like no indication of that tho.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

If it is fixed to a duration then I assume everyone else is also getting the same sub-messages on the banner.

Sub message? Mine were full-page modals. I was a little annoyed they showed up on every screen in the building. You know how twitchy those ex three-letter types can get.

7 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Government is just trying to help.

I secretly believe the Holy Ghost threw up it's hands over us and exclusively channels to the staff of The Onion.

14 hours ago, Rain said:

For you it means you should review them.  For the rest of us it is a warning us that you have posted something political and not take the bait you set out.

Because this is loosely tied to politics, I've decided to accept this answer as factual w/o evidence.