Seriously No Politics ×

Looking for a good commentary on the book of mormon

Hi folks. I tried making a thread in General but it didn't appear to let me. Please move this one if need be.

Just wondering if anyone here has some recommendations on a good commentary for the Book of Mormon. It looks like Elder Bruce McConkie's son, Joseph, did one that has good reviews: 

https://www.amazon.com.au/Doctrinal-Commentary-Book-Mormon-V1/dp/1590385233/

There is also a highly rated one by Thomas R. Valletta:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Book-Mormon-Study-Guide-Revised/dp/1629726230/

Does anyone here have some experience with these, or other, commentaries? I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

-Kermit

It all depends upon your level of competence in understanding Scripture, along with your purpose:  Are you primarily interested in theology or doctrine?  Or are you interested in the BofM as literature?  Or are you intent on understanding the archeology and anthropology of the book?  One must seek commentators who actually understand such issues well, before purchasing a book, or series of books.

The most thorough and professional commentary is by anthropologist Brant Gardner, Second Witness: Analytical & Contextual Commentary on the Book of Mormon, 6 vols. (Greg Kofford Books, 2007).  He has also published several additional books on the subject.

Hugh Nibley has published a whole series of books on the BofM which are worth reading, especially the third edition of his An Approach to the Book of Mormon (FARMS/Deseret Book, 1988), which was originally the 1957 Melchizedek Priesthood Manual.

Also at a high level is Daniel Ludlow, et al., To All the World: The Book of Mormon Articles from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism (FARMS, 2000).

A simpler approach, for ordinary members, is Daniel Ludlow, et al., Unlocking the Book of Mormon: A Side-By-Side Commentary (Covenant Communications, 2007).

There are many other books available, and one might want to go to Deseret Book and just look around for awhile.  Or to a used book store.

Tom Valleta's is another commentary that is a collection of quoted material--but this time from other commentaries. You should think about the online version which has enlarged content.

On the free side, the ScripturePlus app has an integrated commentary. It includes Jack Welch's notes from classes taught over the years and a commentary on verses that I'm partial to.

On 5/16/2021 at 9:05 PM, Kermit said:

... There is also a highly rated one by Thomas R. Valletta:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Book-Mormon-Study-Guide-Revised/dp/1629726230/

Does anyone here have some experience with these, or other, commentaries? I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

-Kermit

Hey, Frog, :D

Welcome to the Board.  Brother Valletta's is very good.

-Ken

Edited by Kenngo1969

Hey everyone,  sorry for the delay - quite a busy week. Thanks so much for all the input, it's exactly what I was hoping for. I'll grab yours next shopping session, Brother Gardner (I assume the same name isn't a coincidence?), and Valletta's has been ordered. Thanks again!

On 5/20/2021 at 10:25 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

Hey, Frog, :D

Welcome to the Board.  Brother Valletta's is very good.

-Ken

Greetings, Ken!

-Kermit

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

Hey everyone,  sorry for the delay - quite a busy week. Thanks so much for all the input, it's exactly what I was hoping for. I'll grab yours next shopping session, Brother Gardner (I assume the same name isn't a coincidence?), and Valletta's has been ordered. Thanks again!

Greetings, Ken!

-Kermit

Likewise, Sir.  Happy hunting (and reading)!

On 5/19/2021 at 8:48 PM, Brant Gardner said:

Tom Valleta's is another commentary that is a collection of quoted material--but this time from other commentaries. You should think about the online version which has enlarged content.

On the free side, the ScripturePlus app has an integrated commentary. It includes Jack Welch's notes from classes taught over the years and a commentary on verses that I'm partial to.

Are you acquainted with Tom Valletta at all? His name rings a bell for me, because there was a Tom Valletta who was in my ward, when I was in high school in southern California in 1966-69 -ish. Kind of curious if it might be the same guy.

On 5/17/2021 at 4:05 AM, Kermit said:

I tried making a thread in General but it didn't appear to let me.

You have to have posted 25 posts before you can start a topic outside of the Social Hall.

On 5/24/2021 at 7:15 PM, Stargazer said:

Are you acquainted with Tom Valletta at all? His name rings a bell for me, because there was a Tom Valletta who was in my ward, when I was in high school in southern California in 1966-69 -ish. Kind of curious if it might be the same guy.

I have met him, but do not know him. Here is a short bio from BYU: https://rsc-legacy.byu.edu/authors/valletta-thomas-r

On 5/23/2021 at 6:50 PM, Kermit said:

Greetings, Ken!

-Kermit

You'll get a little taste of my commentary in Valletta's book. He cites it from time to time.