Knights of columbus

27 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

What's the wow...  Is it because they ditched the secrecy part? Sorry, I'm not to knowledgeable about masonry.

The growth and the why behind it.  Used to be long ago fraternity wise knights of Columbus was made fun of for being a Masonic clone of sorts.  Know they're not but the chapeau and uniform was supposedly a rip off of one of the Masonic bodies.  Anyway, yeah they ditched the secret stuff and changed uniforms so more people who lacked funds could participate, masons are having issues with getting and keeping people.  It's just rare for me to see a prestigious org be that practical vs. Having leadership that doesn't care about their org dying, so long as they have theirs.

• Upvote 1

Two things I got from scanning the link:  1- only males can participate?  2- organisation was formed to keep violent anti-vice people from engaging in bloody nightly brawls?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, longview said:

Two things I got from scanning the link:  1- only males can participate?  2- organisation was formed to keep violent anti-vice people from engaging in bloody nightly brawls?

KOC was an answer to many things, among them a response to the papal ban on Catholics joining freemasonry.  The bloody night brawls I have no idea about, who knows that may have had some truth to it.  Alcoholism was a huge problem and America didn't exactly receive a lot of Europe's best.  The Freemasons were no better, like everything as time goes on people choose to omit details.  Laurel & Hardy had a great episode that was a spoof on the Shriners.  They may be well known for their hospital and circus but from their inception they were very much a bunch of well off, privileged WASPs who acted like middle aged fratboys.  My grandfather was a Shriner, more than a few times the cops had to show up and tell them to tone it down a bit.  If it wasn't for well over half the cops in Illonois being Freemasons i'm sure it would have been more than a friendly Andy Griffith style "can you boys please keep it down?  Yes cousin Joh- I mean Worshipful I'll be at this months stated."

Also, in defense of Catholics they've had a hard time in this country since the beginning, Protestants and Evangelicals were not kind.  Only reason why they've made an alliance of sorts, politics and the rise of the nones.  That and finally Evangelicals and Protestants are having their dirty laundry aired out as well.

Edited by poptart