🌮 texas tacos (my mission recipe)

I haven't been on this board for years and am using an Amazon Fire to create this topic. If I'm posting it in the wrong location, please apply the principle of forgiveness and tell me where I can post it. 

Years ago, when the Church numbered just over three million members, I concocted a recipe that went on to create a somewhat less than legendary status, so I thought I'd share it here and see what you thought. They were called "Texas Tacos," even though I only briefly touched down in Texas once. 

So here goes.

First, the ingredients:

1-2 Boxes of corn taco shells

1 Iceberg or whatever lettuce

1 Bottle of LaVictoria hot sauce (red/hot)

1 Bottle bar-b-que sauce

1 Package cheese (I like the individual slices)

1 Package ground beef

Now the directions:

1. Turn oven to 350°
  2. Cook beef in skillet. If you wish, put beef in colander and rinse with hot water to get rid of fat and additives. If low fat organic beef, you should not rinse beef.
  3. Use paper towel to pat beef. Add bar-b-que sauce. Don't put too much in beef.
  4. Place shells in oven until oil in the shells begins to glisten (about 10 minutes).
  5. Remove shells. Add beef, then cheese.
  6. Put back in oven. After five minutes, turn off oven. Let sit in oven.
  7. (You can use this time to wash skillet, cut lettuce.)
  8. After 10 minutes or so, remove tacos. The cheese should be melted into the beef.
  9. Add a small amount of LaVictoria hot sauce to your tacos, lettuce, tomatoes (if desired).

Notes:

• One of the problems with taco shells is that if they aren't left in oven long enough, they tend to taste a bit stale. By putting them in oven twice, they taste GREAT! 
  • I concocted this recipe on my mission in 1973 in southern California. It became quite popular there. It later became popular at BYU, where I cooked them for friends. 
  • Many people say they can eat three tacos. I've found that if you're 18-28, you can easily polish off five. 🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮

If you have some mission recipes, feel free to add them below! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stargater said:

I haven't been on this board for years and am using an Amazon Fire to create this topic. If I'm posting it in the wrong location, please apply the principle of forgiveness and tell me where I can post it. 

Years ago, when the Church numbered just over three million members, I concocted a recipe that went on to create a somewhat less than legendary status, so I thought I'd share it here and see what you thought. They were called "Texas Tacos," even though I only briefly touched down in Texas once. 

So here goes.

First, the ingredients:

1-2 Boxes of corn taco shells

1 Iceberg or whatever lettuce

1 Bottle of LaVictoria hot sauce (red/hot)

1 Bottle bar-b-que sauce

1 Package cheese (I like the individual slices)

1 Package ground beef

Now the directions:

1. Turn oven to 350°
  2. Cook beef in skillet. If you wish, put beef in colander and rinse with hot water to get rid of fat and additives. If low fat organic beef, you should not rinse beef.
  3. Use paper towel to pat beef. Add bar-b-que sauce. Don't put too much in beef.
  4. Place shells in oven until oil in the shells begins to glisten (about 10 minutes).
  5. Remove shells. Add beef, then cheese.
  6. Put back in oven. After five minutes, turn off oven. Let sit in oven.
  7. (You can use this time to wash skillet, cut lettuce.)
  8. After 10 minutes or so, remove tacos. The cheese should be melted into the beef.
  9. Add a small amount of LaVictoria hot sauce to your tacos, lettuce, tomatoes (if desired).

Notes:

• One of the problems with taco shells is that if they aren't left in oven long enough, they tend to taste a bit stale. By putting them in oven twice, they taste GREAT! 
  • I concocted this recipe on my mission in 1973 in southern California. It became quite popular there. It later became popular at BYU, where I cooked them for friends. 
  • Many people say they can eat three tacos. I've found that if you're 18-28, you can easily polish off five. 🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮

If you have some mission recipes, feel free to add them below! 

We have a pinned topic in Social with all recipes, maybe you could c/p it there! :) I say this because I'd like to see this and not have it go away. I love Taco Time tacos and wondered how they get the shell sort of mushy and not as crisp like my homemade ones. I think your recipe will definitely do the trick. You no doubt have many more like this, it sounds like you like to experiment with foods! 

Also, I think this is a fun thread for those that have fun stories on their missions of what they cooked. 

Welcome! :)

Edited by Tacenda

Thank you for your greetings. I wasn't much one for cooking and though I was in southern California, I wasn't much for Mexican food. That changed, though, and there were many Mexican people who cooked wonderful meals for us. Around 5:30, we'd be wheeling through Mexican communities and the smell of frying tortillas would be wonderfully overpowering! 

We loved the people and once, while going door to door, we were let in by a rather number of Hispanics. One stout fellow, who was seated in a place of prominence, kept a large bottle of wine on his right knee. After a few questions, he engaged us in a riveting dialog about the Church. He wasn't critical, but he was fascinated by many of our doctrines, particularly regarding polygamy and our concept of God and revelation. 

After awhile, we noticed no one else was talking but us and him, the others were just listening, and they weren't making a sound. We were impressed by his questions and not only his overall knowledge of religion, but of his knowledge of philosophy. He knew more than any Jehovah's Witnesses we'd ever met, and he was considerably more open minded. He was dressed with a dark pullover shirt with a round collar, and spoke with only a slight accent, asking intelligent questions.

But we were a bit uneasy. 

After about twenty minutes, during which he offered us swigs from his bottle, he introduced us to several of his friends (not all), but it was their jackets that caused us some unease. You see, this giant of a man we were speaking to was the leader of a group of HELL'S ANGELS. This caused us considerable concern, but he asked us if we had any questions for him. I asked him how he had learned so much about our church and the other things we'd been discussing. He replied that many people thought they were ignorant bikers, but that they invited guest speakers to some of their events in the desert. They'd light some fires and have authors, scientists and others speak. Then he asked us if we'd be interested. We had no idea what to say, but then he laughed and said he was only joking. 

It was one of my more interesting experiences. 👍🤔

I honestly can't remember anything I cooked on my mission.  Maybe because I had already been living on my own and have been the one cooking ever since more than 30 years later and it all blends together?

I do remember going to lunch one day at a members house and they served cantaloupe.  I hadn't liked it at that point, but I ate it and found I then liked it! Now that I have eaten many cantaloupes I wonder if I had just never tasted a good one before.  

Someone taught me a failsafe way of checking a few years ago.  Lightly scratch the little round spot where the stem is.  Smell it.  If it smells like cantaloupe it is good.  If not it isn't.   If there is not much smell there is not much taste.  Has worked every single time for me.

We're having bbq sauce on pizza tonight. Friday night is pizza night.  When the missionaries come I have them request what kind they want.  BBQ is what they want tonight.

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2021 at 4:34 PM, mnn727 said:

BBQ Sauce in Taco's? As someone who has lived 21 years in Texas -- That's just wrong!

I love standard tacos, too. Wish we had guy missionaries, but we have gals, and I just can't relate to their bubbly nature. They get plenty of invites, though. Its only a matter of time before we get elders back. 

II'll put this recipe on the Social site and I'll see what feedback I get. We're having these tacos tonight so I'm looking forward to it.

As for be'in just wrong, I have a lot of friends from and in Texas, and they put barbeque sauce on everything but tarantulas! I love barbequed beef ribs, but I can't get the ribs any more. They're just pork.