For the outdoorsy people

How many of you have childrem, grandchildren, other relatives, friends etc. who came from outdoorsy families but are lazy and when it comes to outdoors activities expect everyone else who knows what they're doing to do everything for them?  How do you "manage" them?  It's irritating, know a few who moved outwest because of family, want to come out here to do things but in the back of my head know they're the type to start complaining after a mile and ruin things for me.  You know, the type who go on about all the cool things you do but when you suggest they drive a few hours out of town, hike just a few miles, pitch a tent in the woods and won't even do that.  Might get a mosquito bite.......

There is a growing industry that delivers and sets up campsites for those you describe.   But it isn't always laziness.  Sometimes it is have no energy left.   Or my brain and expectations are so full, no more room for X, Y or Z.   And sometimes when we are good at something, taking the lead every once in a while is a gift we share with people we love.

For some reason, adults waged - and won - a war against kids' ambition. In just a few generations, we've eliminated the vast bulk of organic learning opportunities.

The unsupervised time when kids would learn analysis, peer cooperation and solution-building has been replaced with homework and curated activities (for those that can afford them). If time is available there is simply nowhere for kids to go on their own. Reachable, free range land is all but gone and what few spaces are safe from trespassing charges are sterile and preformed.

Wherever children might try to take the initiative to expand themselves, adults have a wall waiting. To discourage kids from finding growth spaces on their own, we've concocted a false risk of stranger kidnapping and we bombard them with it. As a society, we're fairly sadistic.

So I don't feel kids are lazy. I feel they are a product of an environment that stifles critical learning at every turn.

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, poptart said:

How many of you have childrem, grandchildren, other relatives, friends etc. who came from outdoorsy families but are lazy and when it comes to outdoors activities expect everyone else who knows what they're doing to do everything for them?

Well, in my experience most people want the go getters to do everything for them😂, not just in outdoor activities. But, as far as outdoor activities, I know what you mean. Just last week we took a trip to the Outer Banks to go fishing with a couple we had never done anything outdoorsy with, it was a simple easy trip. We brought the fishing poles, fishing gear, bait, chairs, flashlights, batteries, first aid kit, extra water, air compressor, surf boards, wet suits, latrine, shovels, drone, extra battery, 75 percent of the food, ice, ice and ice, illegal fire wood😁, and probably 20 more items. All the ding-a-ling had to bring was his family, a grill, charcoal, and enough steak and potatoes for 9 people. Well, he got the family part correct, but ended up not bringing the grate for the grill, maybe a pound of potatoes, and steaks that were maybe a 1/2" thick. I was pissed!!  Who brings 1/2" thick steaks to any outing!! And the worse part was neither ONE of us brought A1 SAUCE!😠🤬😠🤬

To make it even worse, he had never drove on the sand so I told him when he got to the sand, lower the tire pressure down to 15psi and drive through the soft sand without stopping until he makes it to the wet sand that's more compact. Apparently his wife got scared because 150' or so after entering the sand and he stopped, which really wouldn't be that bad this time of year because it's not hot enough to dry the sand out, but he didn't lower his tire pressure. By the time I got to him he had spun the wheels so much, the frame of the SUV was sitting in the sand, what an idiot 😁. I will admit though, when I hooked my truck up to pull him out, I pulled extra hard just to scare him and his wife, that was fun. But we still had fun poptart. Just be glad that you're an outdoorsy kind of guy, that way when the zombi apocalypse happens next year you'll be sought out by everyone you know.

How do you "manage" them?

There really is no managing, just do most of the work yourself if you want it to go right, that's life.

It's irritating, know a few who moved outwest because of family, want to come out here to do things but in the back of my head know they're the type to start complaining after a mile and ruin things for me.  You know, the type who go on about all the cool things you do but when you suggest they drive a few hours out of town, hike just a few miles, pitch a tent in the woods and won't even do that.  Might get a mosquito bite......

Give them a chance, you might be surprised! But, just in case your correct and they turn into total Aholes, plan the trip near some cliffs, who knows, maybe they'll fall off.😂😂

Take up fishing, I go fishing by myself all the time. I meet people fishing probably half the time I'm in the water. Also golf, good outdoor activity and there's tons of leagues you can join.

Edited by AtlanticMike
31 minutes ago, Chum said:

For some reason, adults waged - and won - a war against kids' ambition. In just a few generations, we've eliminated the vast bulk of organic learning opportunities.

The unsupervised time when kids would learn analysis, peer cooperation and solution-building has been replaced with homework and curated activities (for those that can afford them). If time is available there is simply nowhere for kids to go on their own. Reachable, free range land is all but gone and what few spaces are safe from trespassing charges are sterile and preformed.

Wherever children might try to take the initiative to expand themselves, adults have a wall waiting. To discourage kids from finding growth spaces on their own, we've concocted a false risk of stranger kidnapping and we bombard them with it. As a society, we're fairly sadistic.

So I don't feel kids are lazy. I feel they are a product of an environment that stifles critical learning at every turn.

Talking to someone who was at times homeless growing up and spends summers miles away from the road in the mountains, if my speashul self can do it, anyone can.  Then again, I am pretty speashul....

52 minutes ago, rpn said:

There is a growing industry that delivers and sets up campsites for those you describe.   But it isn't always laziness.  Sometimes it is have no energy left.   Or my brain and expectations are so full, no more room for X, Y or Z.   And sometimes when we are good at something, taking the lead every once in a while is a gift we share with people we love.

A business?  Wow........

12 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Well, in my experience most people want the go getters to do everything for them😂, not just in outdoor activities. But, as far as outdoor activities, I know what you mean. Just last week we took a trip to the Outer Banks to go fishing with a couple we had never done anything outdoorsy with, it was a simple easy trip. We brought the fishing poles, fishing gear, bait, chairs, flashlights, batteries, first aid kit, extra water, air compressor, surf boards, wet suits, latrine, shovels, drone, extra battery, 75 percent of the food, ice, ice and ice, illegal fire wood😁, and probably 20 more items. All the ding-a-ling had to bring was his family, a grill, charcoal, and enough steak and potatoes for 9 people. Well, he got the family part correct, but ended up not bringing the grate for the grill, maybe a pound of potatoes, and steaks that were maybe a 1/2" thick. I was pissed!!  Who brings 1/2" thick steaks to any outing!! And the worse part was neither ONE of us brought A1 SAUCE!😠🤬😠🤬

To make it even worse, he had never drove on the sand so I told him when he got to the sand, lower the tire pressure down to 15psi and drive through the soft sand without stopping until he makes it to the wet sand that's more compact. Apparently his wife got scared because 150' or so after entering the sand and he stopped, which really wouldn't be that bad this time of year because it's not hot enough to dry the sand out, but he didn't lower his tire pressure. By the time I got to him he had spun the wheels so much, the frame of the SUV was sitting in the sand, what an idiot 😁. I will admit though, when I hooked my truck up to pull him out, I pulled extra hard just to scare him and his wife, that was fun. But we still had fun poptart. Just be glad that you're an outdoorsy kind of guy, that way when the zombi apocalypse happens next year you'll be sought out by everyone you know.

There really is no managing, just do most of the work yourself if you want it to go right, that's life.

Give them a chance, you might be surprised! But, just in case your correct and they turn into total Aholes, plan the trip near some cliffs, who knows, maybe they'll fall off.😂😂

Take up fishing, I go fishing by myself all the time. I meet people fishing probably half the time I'm in the water. Also golf, good outdoor activity and there's tons of leagues you can join.

You have the patience of a saint, pun intended lol.  Stories like yours make me glad i'm single and live in a self imposed bubble, I'll peak my head out and see stuff like what you have to endure with idiots then go back into hiding.  Also 1/2 inch steaks?!  Wow that guy sucks.  Were these people from your ward?  Good news is since there was no alcohol involved there's less that can go wrong.  This is another reason why I'm so careful with people, you say outdoors around a lot of people they think start a campfire, get drunk and do really dumb things.  BTW I hope you really scared his wife, some ROI for your suffering.  If/when the zombie appocalypse happens my services won't come cheap.

That's a good idea, fishing.  They have fantastic fishing here.  Have a hand me down flyrod plus everything else.

17 minutes ago, poptart said:

Stories like yours make me glad i'm single and live in a self imposed bubble, I'll peak my head out and see stuff like what you have to endure with idiots then go back into hiding.

I'll tell ya poptart, some of my best memories when it comes to outdoor trips are the ones that were totally or partially screwed up. One of our best trips was spent in an emergency room for 5 hours because my daughter was bit by a snake on a hike and I couldn't find it, so I didn't know if it was poisonous. We rushed her to the emergency room, and after we knew she was fine,  we changed everything up and went to a water park, instead of finishing the hike. It was fun fun fun, we still look back and have fond memories of that "messed up" trip. 

26 minutes ago, poptart said:

Were these people from your ward?

Yes. He was a yuppie, I wasn't expecting to much to be honest. But he turned out to be a great fisherman!! 

29 minutes ago, poptart said:

you say outdoors around a lot of people they think start a campfire, get drunk and do really dumb things.

I know a lot of people who love that, drinking is a social activity to them. I can understand why they like it, it's more about stress relief and hanging out with good friends, unwinding. 

You sound a lot like me, the preparation for a trip is just as exciting for me as the actual trip. I'll lose sleep over preparation and worrying about if I brought enough of this or that. I'm so **** I bought a scale so I could weigh everything that went into my hiking pack. When planning a fishing trip, I'll drive 25 miles for fresh bait even though there's frozen bait in my freezer, my wife thinks I'm nuts😁. If you have any of these personality traits, may I suggest lowering your standards when interacting or planning a trip with others, you'll always be disappointed 😂

41 minutes ago, poptart said:

BTW I hope you really scared his wife,

Oh yeah, I had my wife record it because I knew it was going to be funny.  Usually when a vehicle is sitting on the sand and the wheels are buried, you dig a trench in front of all 4 tires so when you pull them out the vehicle has a gradual slope to climb. Well, I had a new snatch strap that was made to give a little when pulling a vehicle out. So I left the SUV buried and decided to put pedal to the metal, bammm!! Came out like a champ. But it was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. When I took off, her head whipped back from all the force 😂, even my kids were laughing. When we got to good sand to stop on, we got out to lower their tire pressure, a cop came up to me and said, man, that was cruel😁. He was laughing when he said.

Just to throw some more out there for you. Try Kayaking, plenty of kayak associations around to join.  Disk golf, it's cheap and again, clubs in most places. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Chum said:

I re-read your post, figured I'd just type out a new reply instead of editing my old one.  You're right.  I keep forgetting, I'm an adult and despite what I had to go through as a kid the 90s and even early 2000s were so much more free.  Something my older Gen X friends have told me before, back in the day even if you had lousy parents schools and society did a better job of enabling people to lift themselves out of poverty and leave bad neighborhoods.  Now things are a lot worse, unless you're privilieged it really is that much tougher.  This is why I praised groups like the LDS church, even the poor kids have a shot.  That's so rare nowadays, I remember boyscouts as a kid, we had scouts from different denominations, even a few Latter Day Saints.  (Was Alaska...)  There was a God and Church medal for everyone under the sun, none of us cared we just got along and did what kids do best, be kids.   From what I gleam from coworkers with kids, nowadays you're either poor and well, screwed or if you're lower to middle class you're not only working your butt off in school you're playing sports and competing with all the other suburbanite kids for scarce resources like spots in good schools.  Add in that you have a surplus bachelor population that has no interest in having a family and well, you have a voting populace that doesn't make it easy to raise children.  Dunno, I have cop friends and  family who say otherwise, there is a lot more child abduction nowadays.  I think it's always been there, thing is before social media it wasn't talked about as much.  That and well, resources for this stuff just isn't there in a lot of places.  US society is very sadistic, well put.  

I get the feeling you and I would agree on much, like your deznat post.  Without making this thread political, I think like that, we're going to keep seeing things in this country get worse.  What worries me is when some group like say, Atomwaffen starts filling the void for poor kids in this country, the likes of them an other Azoz batalion groups sure are in E.Europe.  

12 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

I'll tell ya poptart, some of my best memories when it comes to outdoor trips are the ones that were totally or partially screwed up. One of our best trips was spent in an emergency room for 5 hours because my daughter was bit by a snake on a hike and I couldn't find it, so I didn't know if it was poisonous. We rushed her to the emergency room, and after we knew she was fine,  we changed everything up and went to a water park, instead of finishing the hike. It was fun fun fun, we still look back and have fond memories of that "messed up" trip. 

Yes. He was a yuppie, I wasn't expecting to much to be honest. But he turned out to be a great fisherman!! 

I know a lot of people who love that, drinking is a social activity to them. I can understand why they like it, it's more about stress relief and hanging out with good friends, unwinding. 

You sound a lot like me, the preparation for a trip is just as exciting for me as the actual trip. I'll lose sleep over preparation and worrying about if I brought enough of this or that. I'm so **** I bought a scale so I could weigh everything that went into my hiking pack. When planning a fishing trip, I'll drive 25 miles for fresh bait even though there's frozen bait in my freezer, my wife thinks I'm nuts😁. If you have any of these personality traits, may I suggest lowering your standards when interacting or planning a trip with others, you'll always be disappointed 😂

Oh yeah, I had my wife record it because I knew it was going to be funny.  Usually when a vehicle is sitting on the sand and the wheels are buried, you dig a trench in front of all 4 tires so when you pull them out the vehicle has a gradual slope to climb. Well, I had a new snatch strap that was made to give a little when pulling a vehicle out. So I left the SUV buried and decided to put pedal to the metal, bammm!! Came out like a champ. But it was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. When I took off, her head whipped back from all the force 😂, even my kids were laughing. When we got to good sand to stop on, we got out to lower their tire pressure, a cop came up to me and said, man, that was cruel😁. He was laughing when he said.

Just to throw some more out there for you. Try Kayaking, plenty of kayak associations around to join.  Disk golf, it's cheap and again, clubs in most places. 

Yeah I'd think figuring out the snake that bit your 5 year old daughter would be quite a relief.  

I hate yuppies, they move into places, displace the locals and just ruin everything.  Now that a lot of hipsters have aged out and many want kids they complain about how hard it is to raise them in this country and how anti child people are, take a look in the mirror.

It is.  Been a while for me, when I do have to start networking in public with "those" people again there's a game I like to play.  I maybe have one drink or if I show up after most have had a few in them I just get a sprite with a lemon in it, let them think it's a gin and tonic.  Anyway, I just sit around and let the alcohol get whatever info I want out of people.  That and just sit back and enjoy the free entertainment at their expense.  Will say even pre covid it had been a while since I'd done that, i'm too afraid of having someone take a selfie and my pic floating around.  Anymore it does not pay to have photos of you with drunk/high people, so glad I don't have social media.

It's not so much the prep, it's more so having plans laid out, the time off needed for it, planning for weather etc.  Nothing irriates me more than someone who has no consideration for that and just ruins plans.  Depending on where you go you really have to plan for weather.  It's not say, Montana or Wyoming but still we have nasty lighting in the summer, people do die.  I'll admit it, part of it is selfishness, the other part is if someone is ill prepared they put you in danger.  Pic related, one of my fav spots, it's like, 9 miles in?  I just pitch my tent there then clime the mountains around me.   Something comfy about being in a tent at tree line surrounded by shrubs.  The scary part is when the lighting hits, the echo from being in between two mountains is something.  It's like Thor is saying hello.

IMG-20200707-113826.jpg

That's a good idea, that and fishing.  I may just get a rental and drive out to Moab too.  

Edited by poptart
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, poptart said:

I re-read your post, figured I'd just type out a new reply instead of editing my old one.  You're right.  I keep forgetting, I'm an adult and despite what I had to go through as a kid the 90s and even early 2000s were so much more free.  Something my older Gen X friends have told me before, back in the day even if you had lousy parents schools and society did a better job of enabling people to lift themselves out of poverty and leave bad neighborhoods.  Now things are a lot worse, unless you're privilieged it really is that much tougher.  This is why I praised groups like the LDS church, even the poor kids have a shot.  That's so rare nowadays, I remember boyscouts as a kid, we had scouts from different denominations, even a few Latter Day Saints.  (Was Alaska...)  There was a God and Church medal for everyone under the sun, none of us cared we just got along and did what kids do best, be kids.   From what I gleam from coworkers with kids, nowadays you're either poor and well, screwed or if you're lower to middle class you're not only working your butt off in school you're playing sports and competing with all the other suburbanite kids for scarce resources like spots in good schools.  Add in that you have a surplus bachelor population that has no interest in having a family and well, you have a voting populace that doesn't make it easy to raise children.  Dunno, I have cop friends and  family who say otherwise, there is a lot more child abduction nowadays.  I think it's always been there, thing is before social media it wasn't talked about as much.  That and well, resources for this stuff just isn't there in a lot of places.  US society is very sadistic, well put.  

I get the feeling you and I would agree on much, like your deznat post.  Without making this thread political, I think like that, we're going to keep seeing things in this country get worse.  What worries me is when some group like say, Atomwaffen starts filling the void for poor kids in this country, the likes of them an other Azoz batalion groups sure are in E.Europe.  

Yeah I'd think figuring out the snake that bit your 5 year old daughter would be quite a relief.  

I hate yuppies, they move into places, displace the locals and just ruin everything.  Now that a lot of hipsters have aged out and many want kids they complain about how hard it is to raise them in this country and how anti child people are, take a look in the mirror.

It is.  Been a while for me, when I do have to start networking in public with "those" people again there's a game I like to play.  I maybe have one drink or if I show up after most have had a few in them I just get a sprite with a lemon in it, let them think it's a gin and tonic.  Anyway, I just sit around and let the alcohol get whatever info I want out of people.  That and just sit back and enjoy the free entertainment at their expense.  Will say even pre covid it had been a while since I'd done that, i'm too afraid of having someone take a selfie and my pic floating around.  Anymore it does not pay to have photos of you with drunk/high people, so glad I don't have social media.

It's not so much the prep, it's more so having plans laid out, the time off needed for it, planning for weather etc.  Nothing irriates me more than someone who has no consideration for that and just ruins plans.  Depending on where you go you really have to plan for weather.  It's not say, Montana or Wyoming but still we have nasty lighting in the summer, people do die.  I'll admit it, part of it is selfishness, the other part is if someone is ill prepared they put you in danger.  Pic related, one of my fav spots, it's like, 9 miles in?  I just pitch my tent there then clime the mountains around me.   Something comfy about being in a tent at tree line surrounded by shrubs.  The scary part is when the lighting hits, the echo from being in between two mountains is something.  It's like Thor is saying hello.

IMG-20200707-113826.jpg

That's a good idea, that and fishing.  I may just get a rental and drive out to Moab too.  

Have you ever tried stealth camping? it's basically camping in an area where it's trespassing or in a place that is closed after hours. We did a trip to a place called kiptopeke State Park and kayaked out to the concrete ships about a 1/3 of a mile off shore in the Chesapeake Bay and camped on top of one of the ships. It was extremely stupid, but fun, we actually pulled the kayaks up the side of the ship so if any boaters came by they couldn't see us at all. Google concrete ships kiptopeke, it's a cool site, great fishing. Somewhere on youtube is a video of me filming one of my buddies catching a 40 some inch striper, it was years and years ago but really fun trip, right after that i caught a 5foot shark, sharks suck. 

By the way that's a great picture, that could be a post card or something. Do they still make post cards😂😂?? I'm old!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I couldn't find the video I was telling you about, but here's one that shows the fishing we have out here. This is one of my buddies that goes all the time. Caution, after watching this you'll want to move to the coast😂. If you ever want to go fishing, give me a shout around end of September to December, that's when it gets really good!  Remember though, don't bring 1/2" thick steaks 😂😂😂😂

23 hours ago, poptart said:

Dunno, I have cop friends and  family who say otherwise, there is a lot more child abduction nowadays.  I think it's always been there, thing is before social media it wasn't talked about as much. 

There may be more parental abductions. However, stranger abduction is so mind-mindbogglingly rare, altering our lives over it is more like paranoia than reason. I'd argue that instilling our kids with the fear of a near-zero risk is a bit of poor parenting on our part.

What news orgs like to do is report rare, remote tragedies as if they occurred in our own communities and as if we were at meaningful risk. What police like to do just flat out portray a false risk of danger. My best guess is they lump the small handful of stranger kidnappings in with the many thousands of non-custodial cases and then pretend the total represents stranger kidnappings. This delusion seems cruel and counterproductive to me.

• Upvote 2
On 5/9/2021 at 10:18 AM, poptart said:

I re-read your post, figured I'd just type out a new reply instead of editing my old one. 

I really appreciate this.

3 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

Have you ever tried stealth camping? it's basically camping in an area where it's trespassing or in a place that is closed after hours. We did a trip to a place called kiptopeke State Park and kayaked out to the concrete ships about a 1/3 of a mile off shore in the Chesapeake Bay and camped on top of one of the ships. It was extremely stupid, but fun, we actually pulled the kayaks up the side of the ship so if any boaters came by they couldn't see us at all. Google concrete ships kiptopeke, it's a cool site, great fishing. Somewhere on youtube is a video of me filming one of my buddies catching a 40 some inch striper, it was years and years ago but really fun trip, right after that i caught a 5foot shark, sharks suck. 

By the way that's a great picture, that could be a post card or something. Do they still make post cards😂😂?? I'm old!

My husband and I are going to the Virginia Beach area in three weeks and I hope to go on the underwater tunnel in the ocean to Chesapeake Bay!

6 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

My husband and I are going to the Virginia Beach area in three weeks and I hope to go on the underwater tunnel in the ocean to Chesapeake Bay!

That US13 route up the VA peninsula is my most favorite drive anywhere.

1 minute ago, Chum said:

That US13 route up the VA peninsula is my most favorite drive anywhere.

I was hoping for some advice on where to go, never been there. We are staying in Williamsburg. But ultimately I want to visit Washington D.C. But glad for your suggestion on what to do the other days!

10 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I was hoping for some advice on where to go, never been there. We are staying in Williamsburg. But ultimately I want to visit Washington D.C. But glad for your suggestion on what to do the other days!

I moved away in the 1990s so my info is probably out of date. We adored Assateague, but in the winter when we'd have the island to ourselves.  I visited Northern VA two years back and can confirm I95 is the same parking lot I left. Old Town Alexandria hasn't changed, I can recommend it. The torpedo factory there is still hosting local artists (some of whom I really liked).  The DC museums are as good as they say. I was partial to the National Cathedral and Botanical Gardens. The Zoo is worth visiting.

I grew up in Lorton VA, just south of DC. The old DC prison there is a historical site that housed the Suffragettes (a friend of my mom's got it on the national historic register). Historic Occoquan is next door and Historic Clifton is about a half hour away. Obviously I'm biased, so these might be a 'if you happen to be in the area' kind of visit.

If you like to drive, US15 from Haymarket VA to Corning NY is endlessly charming.  Skyline Drive in western VA is gorgeous but often crowed.  Parallel (east side) is Fort Valley, which is a hidden jewel just south of Front Royal.

6 minutes ago, Chum said:

I moved away in the 1990s so my info is probably out of date. We adored Assateague, but in the winter when we'd have the island to ourselves.  I visited Northern VA two years back and can confirm I95 is the same parking lot I left. Old Town Alexandria hasn't changed, I can recommend it. The torpedo factory there is still hosting local artists (some of whom I really liked).  The DC museums are as good as they say. I was partial to the National Cathedral and Botanical Gardens. The Zoo is worth visiting.

I grew up in Lorton VA, just south of DC. The old DC prison there is a historical site that housed the Suffragettes (a friend of my mom's got it on the national historic register). Historic Occoquan is next door and Historic Clifton is about a half hour away. Obviously I'm biased, so these might be a 'if you happen to be in the area' kind of visit.

If you like to drive, US15 from Haymarket VA to Corning NY is endlessly charming.  Skyline Drive in western VA is gorgeous but often crowed.  Parallel (east side) is Fort Valley, which is a hidden jewel just south of Front Royal.

Thank you Chum, very helpful. I will see if these will be in our area of travel! So excited to visit Virginia and surrounding areas!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Tacenda, I didn't call anywhere for you so I don't know what's open or closed because of covid but here's a list of places

D.C.

Probably mostly closed, if your staying in Williamsburg you'll have more fun getting a room in DC because it's a long trip from Williamsburg, traffic sucks. Temple still closed.

Holocaust Museum, Natural History Museum, plus many many more. If you don't mind spending money, Texas de Brazil is a good place to eat while in DC. 

Williamsburg

Plenty of places for history, Busch gardens if you don't like rides it's still great to visit. Also have Jamestown, Mariners Museum.

Virginia Beach/Norfolk

Norfolk Botanical Gardens, Virginia Marine Science Museum, dolphin tours out of rude inlet, make sure you don't get sea sick, head boats for fishing also out of rude inlet, Norfolk zoo, 

Beaches

Virginia Beach Oceanfront if you don't mind a lot of people. Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge if you want the beach pretty much to yourself cant swim there but you can wade out into the water. Kiptopeke State Park if you want to Wade and swim without waves beating you up you can visit when you go through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. 

Carolina/outer Banks about 2.5 hours from Williamsburg

Wright brothers memorial, jockey's Ridge State Park, plenty of Piers to walk out on, carova Beach if you want to drive on the sand. Pony tours on corova beach.

Lots of good places to eat just message me and I'll give you a list

PS. If you go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, drive really really really fast when entering the tunnel,, sometimes it floods and kills all the people in the bottom of the tunnel!! Haha😁 just kidding, but, now that you've read this, you'll be thinking about water coming in when you reach the bottom of the tunnel😂. It is worth going over though, its about 17 miles long with two tunnels, take cash, it's around 18 to 20 bucks this time of the year 

Edited by AtlanticMike
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Tacenda, I didn't call anywhere for you so I don't know what's open or closed because of covid but here's a list of places

D.C.

Probably mostly closed, if your staying in Williamsburg you'll have more fun getting a room in DC because it's a long trip from Williamsburg, traffic sucks. Temple still closed.

Holocaust Museum, Natural History Museum, plus many many more. If you don't mind spending money, Texas de Brazil is a good place to eat while in DC. 

Williamsburg

Plenty of places for history, Busch gardens if you don't like rides it's still great to visit. Also have Jamestown, Mariners Museum.

Virginia Beach/Norfolk

Norfolk Botanical Gardens, Virginia Marine Science Museum, dolphin tours out of rude inlet, make sure you don't get sea sick, head boats for fishing also out of rude inlet, Norfolk zoo, 

Beaches

Virginia Beach Oceanfront if you don't mind a lot of people. Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge if you want the beach pretty much to yourself cant swim there but you can wade out into the water. Kiptopeke State Park if you want to Wade and swim without waves beating you up you can visit when you go through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. 

Carolina/outer Banks about 2.5 hours from Williamsburg

Wright brothers memorial, jockey's Ridge State Park, plenty of Piers to walk out on, carova Beach if you want to drive on the sand. Pony tours on corova beach.

Lots of good places to eat just message me and I'll give you a list

PS. If you go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, drive really really really fast when entering the tunnel,, sometimes it floods and kills all the people in the bottom of the tunnel!! Haha😁 just kidding, but, now that you've read this, you'll be thinking about water coming in when you reach the bottom of the tunnel😂. It is worth going over though, its about 17 miles long with two tunnels, take cash, it's around 18 to 20 bucks this time of the year 

How awesome to be able to get inside information!! You and Chum are the best, we are really going in blind pretty much. This helps immensely! And I was thinking that we may need to spend the night in DC. Thanks again! 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

How awesome to be able to get inside information!! You and Chum are the best, we are really going in blind pretty much. This helps immensely! And I was thinking that we may need to spend the night in DC. Thanks again! 

Predictably, hotels are less exorbitant the farther out you go. Two years ago, I hunkered down during rush hour and otherwise found I could easily get anywhere I needed to.  Alexandria Va to Westminster Md was a breeze mid day.

I hear the DC Metro subway is about as good as I recall. It lets out in the middle of The Mall.

Edited by Chum
5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Visit Annapolis, Md. It's my favorite town in the area. You can visit DC from there. We bought our boat there and spent 9 months refitting her in Annapolis. I really liked the Ward we were in. 

7 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Visit Annapolis, Md. It's my favorite town in the area. You can visit DC from there. We bought our boat there and spent 9 months refitting her in Annapolis. I really liked the Ward we were in. 

Thanks, I'll check it out!

10 hours ago, Chum said:

Predictably, hotels are less exorbitant the farther out you go. Two years ago, I hunkered down during rush hour and otherwise found I could easily get anywhere I needed to.  Alexandria Va to Westminster Md was a breeze mid day.

I hear the DC Metro subway is about as good as I recall. It lets out in the middle of The Mall.

Thanks, these suggestions are helpful!

On 5/10/2021 at 5:17 AM, AtlanticMike said:

That is something I would do given the chance.  How safe is it?  I'd be afraid of the top giving out and me falling through.  

Think they do still sell them.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:32 AM, Chum said:

There may be more parental abductions. However, stranger abduction is so mind-mindbogglingly rare, altering our lives over it is more like paranoia than reason. I'd argue that instilling our kids with the fear of a near-zero risk is a bit of poor parenting on our part.

What news orgs like to do is report rare, remote tragedies as if they occurred in our own communities and as if we were at meaningful risk. What police like to do just flat out portray a false risk of danger. My best guess is they lump the small handful of stranger kidnappings in with the many thousands of non-custodial cases and then pretend the total represents stranger kidnappings. This delusion seems cruel and counterproductive to me.

Think what it is, i'm used to seeing crazy stuff in WA and now here in CO.  There are homeless camps right by schools now, they do harass people.  Most of the people are mentally ill and addicted to something.  What irritates people is it's the midwest and southern states that keep busing them out here.  It's getting to the point where you can't escape it unless you can live rural.  For your average family, that's not exactly do-able.

Can't start topics because I'm on a "limited" status, shame on me! ;) So hopefully it's okay to use this thread. 

Watching a morning show, and they talked about this happening. So if you're in one of the states listed, lucky you! https://www.nj.com/news/2021/05/2021-cicadas-13-facts-about-the-brood-x-cicada-invasion-maps-when-they-will-emerge.html

23 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Can't start topics because I'm on a "limited" status, shame on me! ;) So hopefully it's okay to use this thread. 

Watching a morning show, and they talked about this happening. So if you're in one of the states listed, lucky you! https://www.nj.com/news/2021/05/2021-cicadas-13-facts-about-the-brood-x-cicada-invasion-maps-when-they-will-emerge.html

I'm in that area but haven't heard or seen any yet. I think it's to cold right now, I'm still wearing a pullover hoody in mid May, that's crazy!! It's been cold in my area. Usually they start coming out when it hits high 80s and into the 90s.