Do Allegience, Commitment, Confidence, Dedication, Devotion, Discipleship, Faithfulness, Fidelity, Follower, Loyalty, Obedience, Trust all come within the meanings within the Walls of the Ancient Middle East ?, Any links would be welcomed. Thank you all,

Posted (edited)

Ancient meaning of faith

A couple of names in the Book of Mormon come to mind:  Ammon and Ammonihah (P MS has Amonihah in Alma 9:hdg, 10:1)

Phoenician and Hebrew proper name ʼAmôn “Firm, Faithful, True” (Jeremiah 52:15; Song of Songs 7:2), name of a king of Judah (2 Kings 21:18-19).[1]   The Phoenician name ʼEl-ʼamon “My God is Faithful,” might be a reflex of Ammonihah “Yahwe is my faithfulness.”[2]   Michael Fox suggests that it takes the form of an infinitive absolute in Proverbs 8:30a, ʼĀmôn, indicating that “Lady Wisdom is declaring that while God was busy creating the world, she was [his faithful disciple], growing up like a child in his care.”[3]  Cf. the play on words at Alma 18:2,10, “faithfulness of Ammon,” and 1 Samuel 22:14 “so faithful” (neʼeman).[4]

[1] Y. Muchiki, Egyptian Proper Names and Loanwords in NW Semitic, 66; cf. BDB 52-53 ʾommān (Songs 7:2).

[2] J. Hackett & J. Welch, “Possible Linguistic Roots of Book of Mormon Names,” FARMS Preliminary Report CAR-81. Provo: FARMS, 1982.  Cf. Reynolds & Sjodahl, CBM VII:380.

[3] M. Fox, “ʾAmon Again,” JBL, 115/4 (Winter 1996):702.

[4] M. Bowen, “’According to My Faith Which is in Me’: The Covenant Dimension of Faithfulness in Nephi’s Writings,” SMPT Conference lecture, October 10, 2015, at BYU, Provo, Utah.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
Posted (edited)

Thank you Robert, I  just would like to see meanings for Faith that was ingrained into the Being, Essence, Nature, Spirit, Body, every day lives of those that lived in the Ancient middle east in Holy writ.  

Edited by Anakin7
Posted (edited)

Curiously the word for faith isn't used but twice or so in the Old Testament (and then with respect to faithlessness). But in later scriptures we describes the Patriarchs as being faithful.
In Greek mythology Pistis was a personification of the attributes of honesty, trust, loyalty.
Of course, we have to be careful that contemporary usage or even biblical translations aren't always exactly faithful to the etymological origins of a word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistis

Edited by Nofear
1 hour ago, Nofear said:

Curiously the word for faith isn't used but twice or so in the Old Testament (and then with respect to faithlessness). But in later scriptures we describes the Patriarchs as being faithful.
In Greek mythology Pistis was a personification of the attributes of honesty, trust, loyalty.
Of course, we have to be careful that contemporary usage or even biblical translations aren't always exactly faithful to the etymological origins of a word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistis

The Hebrew word for "faith" is 'emuna  אמונה , and "faithful" 'amon, 'amin.  In OT and NT Greek these are translated by pistis, pistos, aksiopistos "faith, trust, belief, conviction, good conscience, assurance, proof, promise, trustworthy, convincing" (Rom 14:22-23, Jude 3,20, Acts 17:31, I Tim 5:12), and by pisteuo "believe, have faith, have confidence in, entrust"; and by aletheia, alethinos "truth, thruthfulness, reality, genuine, dependable" and by sterigma, steriksein "firm, firmness, support, staff, strengthen, establish."

We cannot depend upon a translation (KJV) to tell us the full range of meaning of the term.

3 hours ago, Douglas Avans said:

I've always liked Rev. Eugene Scott's spin on faith.  The words translated in English as faith might better be translated as "faithing".  

I loved to watch Eugene Scott on TV. After he passed away I believe his wife took over the ministry. Wonder if  the ministry is still around ?.