My LDS Brothers and Sisters In Christ Jesus, I would like to know if there is any evidence in the  Ancient Middle East regarding the words "Grace" and "Faith" being Covenant words of relationship working together. Any links would be helpful. Thank you In Advance. 

The Atonement It Is The Central Doctrine, Washing My Garment/Robe In His Blood, In His Eternal Debt/Grace, He Died To Make Man Holy, They Are Not Just 6 Words To A Song, They Have Eternal Meaning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 8:30 PM, Anakin7 said:

My LDS Brothers and Sisters In Christ Jesus, I would like to know if there is any evidence in the  Ancient Middle East regarding the words "Grace" and "Faith" being Covenant words of relationship working together. Any links would be helpful. Thank you In Advance. 

The Atonement It Is The Central Doctrine, Washing My Garment/Robe In His Blood, In His Eternal Debt/Grace, He Died To Make Man Holy, They Are Not Just 6 Words To A Song, They Have Eternal Meaning.

I had to think for a while before committing to attempt a response to your post. For starters, the word "covenant" meant different things to different people in the Near East in ancient times. The ancient mystery religions had initiation ceremonies that involved covenants and oaths as evident by the The Mari Tablets, discovered in the 1930s in present day Syria. But they bare no reference, relation or similarity with the covenant of the God with Israel.

In Hebrew the root word hen and the verb hesed are translated "grace" or "favor" in some 20 passages in the OT. As in “But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord” (Gen 6:8). Another example we find in “The Lord will give grace and glory” Ps 84:11. 

Another frequent translation in the OT of the Hebrew word hen appears in “I know that You are a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness (hesed)” (Jonah 4:2).

Of course, the most famous and perhaps better known use of the word appears in te attitude expressed in the Aaronic benediction of Num. 6:24-26: 

"The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace."

The Lord tried for two millennia to show Israel that faith was indispensable to a relationship with Him and salvation. They just corrupted the religion, ignored the spirit of the law and injected their own traditions and philosophies to satisfy their own standard of righteousness. That is what the scathing rebuke of the Savior in the Sermon of the Mount is about. The OT prophets certainly knew that true faith, repentance and obedience was at the root of the covenant. 

1 Sam 15:22, Hosea 6:6, Amos 5:21-24, Mic 6:6-8, 7:18 are just some of the passages where the Lord communicates that faith is what triggers the mercy and grace of God. Of course, Paul in Hebrews 11 pulls it all together as he shows that since the beginning faith was the operating principle and that without it is impossible to please God. 

Nephi of old understood that the commandments and the ordinances could not save them. He held on to the moral law (the 10 commandments) because they predate the actual Mosaic Law and he knew the Lord expected them to adhere to it. But he articulated this monumental truth here: "For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.” 2 Nephi 25:23

4 hours ago, Islander said:

I had to think for a while before committing to attempt a response to your post. For starters, the word "covenant" meant different things to different people in the Near East in ancient times. The ancient mystery religions had initiation ceremonies that involved covenants and oaths as evident by the The Mari Tablets, discovered in the 1930s in present day Syria. But they bare no reference, relation or similarity with the covenant of the God with Israel.

In Hebrew the root word hen and the verb hesed are translated "grace" or "favor" in some 20 passages in the OT. As in “But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord” (Gen 6:8). Another example we find in “The Lord will give grace and glory” Ps 84:11. 

Another frequent translation in the OT of the Hebrew word hen appears in “I know that You are a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness (hesed)” (Jonah 4:2).

Of course, the most famous and perhaps better known use of the word appears in te attitude expressed in the Aaronic benediction of Num. 6:24-26: 

"The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace."

The Lord tried for two millennia to show Israel that faith was indispensable to a relationship with Him and salvation. They just corrupted the religion, ignored the spirit of the law and injected their own traditions and philosophies to satisfy their own standard of righteousness. That is what the scathing rebuke of the Savior in the Sermon of the Mount is about. The OT prophets certainly knew that true faith, repentance and obedience was at the root of the covenant. 

1 Sam 15:22, Hosea 6:6, Amos 5:21-24, Mic 6:6-8, 7:18 are just some of the passages where the Lord communicates that faith is what triggers the mercy and grace of God. Of course, Paul in Hebrews 11 pulls it all together as he shows that since the beginning faith was the operating principle and that without it is impossible to please God. 

Nephi of old understood that the commandments and the ordinances could not save them. He held on to the moral law (the 10 commandments) because they predate the actual Mosaic Law and he knew the Lord expected them to adhere to it. But he articulated this monumental truth here: "For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.” 2 Nephi 25:23

Thank you,