Jump to content

Singles wards/Single adults


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So, what's the deal with them?  I've heard that the gender distribution is really skewed.  No offence intended here, are the women really picky or are the men just super self absorbed, aloof and/or varying degrees of anti-social?  I'd think two people from a belief system that encourages family and tends to have a lot of middle/upper middle class people would be happy to get married, strengthen family ties and make their own blood lines even more financially secure and powerful.   

Edited by poptart
Link to comment
12 hours ago, poptart said:

So, what's the deal with them?  I've heard that the gender distribution is really skewed.  No offence intended here, are the women really picky or are the men just super self absorbed, aloof and/or varying degrees of anti-social?  I'd think two people from a belief system that encourages family and tends to have a lot of middle/upper middle class people would be happy to get married, strengthen family ties and make their own blood lines even more financially secure and powerful.   

The basic idea is having a congregation specifically set up for young single folks, so that their focus in life can be addressed (like college classes, finding job stress, and not things like "my kid is driving crazy").  And of course to help people meet each other and hopefully pair up.  It is a good theory, even if the practice sometimes doesn't work.

As to the gender distribution: yes, they can be very female dominated.  This is a result of two factors:

- women are more likely to be religious (this is true across all faiths)

- Women are more likely to be involved in social activities, especially in the 20's (like most college clubs are very female dominated).

 

As to people being awkward in dating: welcome to the twenty first century.   

 

Link to comment
12 hours ago, poptart said:

So, what's the deal with them?  I've heard that the gender distribution is really skewed.  No offence intended here, are the women really picky or are the men just super self absorbed, aloof and/or varying degrees of anti-social?  I'd think two people from a belief system that encourages family and tends to have a lot of middle/upper middle class people would be happy to get married, strengthen family ties and make their own blood lines even more financially secure and powerful.   

I know several members who have found marriage partners in such gatherings (typically a talk or sermon followed by refreshments and conversations) or dances.  They include those who have been divorced or have lost a spouse.  One of my friends married his third wife and started a new family in his 70s (and now has two boys).  He is now in his 80s and till going strong..

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

The basic idea is having a congregation specifically set up for young single folks, so that their focus in life can be addressed (like college classes, finding job stress, and not things like "my kid is driving crazy").  And of course to help people meet each other and hopefully pair up.  It is a good theory, even if the practice sometimes doesn't work.

As to the gender distribution: yes, they can be very female dominated.  This is a result of two factors:

- women are more likely to be religious (this is true across all faiths)

- Women are more likely to be involved in social activities, especially in the 20's (like most college clubs are very female dominated).

 

As to people being awkward in dating: welcome to the twenty first century.   

 

Dunno, i'm sure other orgs do this, just had seen the LDS one.  I have my own slant on marriage, I tend to see it more about money then anything.  Then again, i've had the life I've had.

I can't help but wonder if religion benefits women more or if it's more so they're just better at collectivist type things.  In general, men can be and often are lazy, messy and disorganized.  Sad but true.

I think at one time men were more active in things, nowadays not so much.  For all the flack men give women, it's men i've seen who do the most bad anti-social stuff then when they're older die deaths of despair.  I deffinetely give women that one.

People in general are awkward and weird anymore.

3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I know several members who have found marriage partners in such gatherings (typically a talk or sermon followed by refreshments and conversations) or dances.  They include those who have been divorced or have lost a spouse.  One of my friends married his third wife and started a new family in his 70s (and now has two boys).  He is now in his 80s and till going strong..

A family in his 70s?  Are they autistic/have mental issues?  Usually conceiving in your early 40s is asking for it.  I know countries like Iceland all but removed mental retardation from their gene pool via selective abortions, think Japan has as well.  I can't imagine being married three times in a row, I dislike people in general too much to even consider once, unless they're was an equal exchange of some sort.  I miss the days of the dowry, refundable upon screw up. 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I know several members who have found marriage partners in such gatherings (typically a talk or sermon followed by refreshments and conversations) or dances.  They include those who have been divorced or have lost a spouse.  One of my friends married his third wife and started a new family in his 70s (and now has two boys).  He is now in his 80s and till going strong..

Wow.

Maybe I threw in the towel too early. :huh: :unsure: :unknw:

:D :rofl: :D

Link to comment
1 hour ago, poptart said:

Dunno, i'm sure other orgs do this, just had seen the LDS one.  I have my own slant on marriage, I tend to see it more about money then anything.  Then again, i've had the life I've had.

I can't help but wonder if religion benefits women more or if it's more so they're just better at collectivist type things.  In general, men can be and often are lazy, messy and disorganized.  Sad but true.

I think at one time men were more active in things, nowadays not so much.  For all the flack men give women, it's men i've seen who do the most bad anti-social stuff then when they're older die deaths of despair.  I deffinetely give women that one.

People in general are awkward and weird anymore.

People seem well-adjusted in my area of Provo.  Of course there have been some kids who have gone off the deep end into drugs, etc., but most are just down-home folks.  My LDS stake feels like a throwback to the 1950s.  Like California used to be 60 years ago.

1 hour ago, poptart said:

A family in his 70s?  Are they autistic/have mental issues?  Usually conceiving in your early 40s is asking for it.  I know countries like Iceland all but removed mental retardation from their gene pool via selective abortions, think Japan has as well.  I can't imagine being married three times in a row, I dislike people in general too much to even consider once, unless they're was an equal exchange of some sort.  I miss the days of the dowry, refundable upon screw up. 

His boys are very talented, but the older one is tough (a star athlete with a chip on his shoulder).  If he can just survive into adulthood.

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

People seem well-adjusted in my area of Provo.  Of course there have been some kids who have gone off the deep end into drugs, etc., but most are just down-home folks.  My LDS stake feels like a throwback to the 1950s.  Like California used to be 60 years ago.

His boys are very talented, but the older one is tough (a star athlete with a chip on his shoulder).  If he can just survive into adulthood.

>Provo

>Throwback to the 1950's.

So, privileged.  Not being mean here, just saying it like it is.  Enjoy it while it lasts, when the single transplants start spamming SLC like they did Denver you may well see the politics change.  I know you like to be overly optimistic, either way it's like a grand, entertaining social experiment I get to watch from afar with popcorn.  

Edited by poptart
Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...