Seriously No Politics ×

Virtual church meeting poll

Virtual church meetings poll.  

31 members have voted

1. 1. When participating in any Sunday Church meetings virtually by Zoom do you normally wear your church clothes and have your video turned on?

• Yes, I am dressed for church and have video turned on.
    • Yes, I am dressed for church but don't have video turned on.
    • No, I do not dress for church but I do have the video turned on.
    • No, I don't dress for church and don't have video turned on.
    • N/A, All our meetings are back to normal in person.

23 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

Surprised to see wearing only underwire with video on isn’t an option. It happened to me. 

I'm surprised too, as the center gore and wings are just as essential components.

35 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

Surprised to see wearing only underwire with video on isn’t an option. It happened to me. 

There have been embarrassing moments in some of our meetings, like the sound of a toilet flushing in the middle of a Sunday School zoom meeting (I'm glad it was only the flushing part and no video).  I also didn't look to see which member it was that did that, I didn't want to know  :) 

4 hours ago, InCognitus said:

There have been embarrassing moments in some of our meetings, like the sound of a toilet flushing in the middle of a Sunday School zoom meeting (I'm glad it was only the flushing part and no video).  I also didn't look to see which member it was that did that, I didn't want to know  :) 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/07/toilet-flush-supreme-court/

I'm pretty dang happy with remote Sunday meetings. For our household of adults, it's fairly unchanged from 2019 (excepting Sacrament itself).

Am I missing anything outside of Sunday? I went back and looked at our 2019 schedule. Tue: ARC. Wed: youth & scripture class. 1st Thru RS. Generally it's all us+us@building.

Social activities: A SA dinner in Feb. Youth fundraiser in May. Youth camped two nights in July. Trunk/Treat. Christmas dinner. There are some moves and baptisms. Figure about 9 hours a year and the youth get a couple of nights.

The one time we had video on and were dressed for church was 2 weeks ago when my wife was one of the speakers.

If we had young children in our home, we would definitely be dressing for church. Since we're a couple of grandparents, we don't see the need for making the extra effort to look good.

It's nice being dressed down for church, but I look forward to the day when we can attend church in person.

8 hours ago, Chum said:

I'm pretty dang happy with remote Sunday meetings. For our household of adults, it's fairly unchanged from 2019 (excepting Sacrament itself).

Am I missing anything outside of Sunday? I went back and looked at our 2019 schedule. Tue: ARC. Wed: youth & scripture class. 1st Thru RS. Generally it's all us+us@building.

Social activities: A SA dinner in Feb. Youth fundraiser in May. Youth camped two nights in July. Trunk/Treat. Christmas dinner. There are some moves and baptisms. Figure about 9 hours a year and the youth get a couple of nights.

What’s ARC?

Not "A-leted" ...

Not "B-leted" ...

Not "C-leted" ...

But

DE-leted!

I didn't pay enough attention to Chum's link.  When first I compared Chum's link with the one I found, I thought it was a little different (one linking to videos only and the other linking to all course materials), but ... they're the same!  A thousand pardons! :huh: :unknw:

;) :D

Edited by Kenngo1969

Can we add an option to the poll question?  "While participating in Sunday meetings via Zoom, have you ever taken a dump and flushed the toilet, live and (as it were) on-air?" 

"Brother Smith!  Brother Smith!  Brother Smith ... can you hear me?  I recognize the importance of your bodily functions, and I recognize that, past a certain age, they can pose certain ... difficulties ... but we need you to keep the grunting to a minimum if you're not going to mute your microphone!" :rofl: :D :rofl:

22 hours ago, JAHS said:

Just wondering how many of you watching church meetings by Zoom (or other type of medium) still dress up as if attending church in person.

I selected the no dress-up / no video option, but it really just depends.

The only virtual meeting I attend is 2nd hour. I usually leave the video OFF for Sunday School and ON for Quorum meetings.

My choice of dress is usually determined by taking into account the following: how much time do I have between getting home and the meeting beginning, how messy is my lunch selection, and do I have another meeting or some other obligation later in the day that I'll need to be dressed up for.

By default, I tend to gravitate toward the casual. I don't really see the point in staying dressed up just for the sake of being dressed up. But it's not like I'm opposed to wearing Sunday clothes. It's really mostly about convenience.

Our virtual, “second-hour” meetings are held right (or very soon) after in-person sacrament meeting, so as a practical matter, it would not make much sense to get home and hurry and change into grubbies before the Sunday School/priesthood/Relief Society meeting takes up. 

But I believe we put on “Sunday best” as a show of reverence and decorum, so where there is video involved, I would take care to do that, even for a virtual meeting if it is part of the Sabbath day block. 

Added later: As I consider the virtual Sunday School and quorum meetings I attend in my ward, it occurs to me it would be strikingly awkward for an attendee to appear on video dressed in beachwear or gardening clothes when everybody else is in his or her Sunday best. And so far, the wearing of Sunday best has been universal at these meetings in our ward. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
2 hours ago, mtomm said:

Our sacrament meeting his streamed, it is not Zoom so it doesn't matter how I am dressed or if the camera is off or on. So maybe this poll wasn't really meant for me. 

Our Sacrament meeting is both on Zoom and on Youtube. The other meetings are only on Zoom.

4 hours ago, JAHS said:

Our Sacrament meeting is both on Zoom and on Youtube. The other meetings are only on Zoom.

Have you noticed a difference watching them?  Far too often the other people don't get muted during sacrament meeting so that could be one difference. I'm just wondering if it displays differently or if the tech is better with one or the other.

10 hours ago, mtomm said:

Our sacrament meeting his streamed, it is not Zoom so it doesn't matter how I am dressed or if the camera is off or on. So maybe this poll wasn't really meant for me. 

8 hours ago, JAHS said:

YouTube for sacrament meeting and Zoom for everything else where I live. 

I kind of wish everything were on YouTube, because it’s so easy and convenient to beam it from my iPhone to our flat-screen TV. 

3 hours ago, Rain said:

Have you noticed a difference watching them?  Far too often the other people don't get muted during sacrament meeting so that could be one difference. I'm just wondering if it displays differently or if the tech is better with one or the other.

I think the obvious difference is Zoom is better for an interactive experience (such as a Sunday School class). YouTube is better for a non-interactive one (such as sacrament meeting) because it can be viewed on a large-screen television to better simulate in-person attendance.