Jump to content

Queer member speaking at byu women's conference


Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

The Church takes action on last year’s Proclamation by making the Doctrine and Covenants (the handbook of the Restoration) our course of study this year and by allocating tremendous effort and resources towards missionaries work.

I take personal responsibility by increasing my knowledge of and faith in the Restoration through study and prayer by being willing to share my testimony when appropriate given the opportunity.

The word “severe” aptly describes this section of the PoF:

 

The Doctrine and Covenants being studied this year was put into motion long before last years' proclamation. If we have prophets then why the need for a proclamation to tell what they have already told us?

Link to post
4 minutes ago, Duncan said:

The Doctrine and Covenants being studied this year was put into motion long before last years' proclamation. If we have prophets then why the need for a proclamation to tell what they have already told us?

Because a lot of people are bending the words to suit their own situation. 

Link to post
13 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Because a lot of people are bending the words to suit their own situation. 

that's for sure

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
6 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Which is why meeting the requirements for heaven is so necessary.
I"m not sure why there are Church members in this thread who seem to be bristling at the idea that an eternal male/female marriage is required or that other relationships won't be eternal.

Required for the Celestial Kingdom, or required for exhalation?
Does this count for anything?

 

Quote

“Man is the child of God, formed in the divine image and endowed with divine attributes, and even as the infant son of an earthly father and mother is capable in due time of becoming a man, so the undeveloped offspring of celestial parentage is capable, by experience through ages and aeons, of evolving into a God.”

Bristling seems to be a bit of an overstatement.

Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Duncan said:

The Doctrine and Covenants being studied this year was put into motion long before last years' proclamation. If we have prophets then why the need for a proclamation to tell what they have already told us?

Tying the prophesied calamities of the Last Days to the current disintegration of the family makes it up to date.

So, for you it is not valid, but for me it is. Perhaps we should come to some sort of agreement on what the purposes of Proclamations and Declarations are.

Así es la vida.

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
5 hours ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Well I think you may have missed my point. Any after life that doesn’t include the most important people in Elder Holland’s life wouldn’t be heaven for him. Given this, it’s incomprehensible that people on this thread want to describe “heaven” as a place that would by necessity exclude the most important person in California Boy’s life. That to me sounds like hell. Ymmv. 

I have absolutely no interest in some kind of heaven where every straight couple gets to spend eternity with their spouse, but if you are gay, you are not allowed that relationship to continue. There is nothing heaven about that kind of place.  It all seems pointless as some goal to want to obtain.  It is why I put my trust in God and not the guesswork of men who think they know what heaven is going to be like based on their own goals and expectations while throwing everyone else that doesn't fit that dynamic under the bus.  Somehow, I believe God will find a place for me and my partner.  I don't think I will be eternally punished for being in love with the person that is by my very nature, the person I should love.  And hey, if it is not in the Celestial Kingdom with all you straight members of the Church, I am ok with that.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
4 minutes ago, california boy said:

I have absolutely no interest in some kind of heaven where every straight couple gets to spend eternity with their spouse, but if you are gay, you are not allowed that relationship to continue. There is nothing heaven about that kind of place.  It all seems pointless as some goal to want to obtain.  It is why I put my trust in God and not the guesswork of men who think they know what heaven is going to be like based on their own goals and expectations while throwing everyone else that doesn't fit that dynamic under the bus.  Somehow, I believe God will find a place for me and my partner.  I don't think I will be eternally punished for being in love with the person that is by my very nature, the person I should love.  And hey, if it is not in the Celestial Kingdom with all you straight members of the Church, I am ok with that.

God will find a good place for all his children. "In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2021 at 5:43 AM, Calm said:

She also said she was YW Pres for her ward and she referred to times she had been single, implying she was now married.

You might be right in your assumption. But what she said is she had been “a member of Relief Society in a singles ward.” It’s quite possible she currently could still be single while belonging to a ward where she could serve as a Young Women president. 
 

Furthermore, if she were married now, why would she not say so at the outset when giving a list of the things that define her identity? Why would she leave that out?
 

Finally, not every woman reserves the ring finger of her left hand for a wedding ring, so that’s not a foolproof indication. 
 

I watched the entire segment in which she was on stage, but it’s possible something escaped my notice. Feel free to point it out if so. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Link to post
16 hours ago, california boy said:

And hey, if it is not in the Celestial Kingdom with all you straight members of the Church, I am ok with that.

I always pictured the telestial world as endless pristine quiet golf courses to play, where celestial friends or family would stop by to say hi but couldn't stay due to problems on the 1,125,548,756,985,584th world they created with their 78th decillionth offspring needing their attention.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
7 hours ago, CA Steve said:

I always pictured the telestial world as endless pristine quiet golf courses to play

Everyone knows the best golf courses are in hell. Better climate for growing Bermuda.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, AtlanticMike said:

Everyone knows the best golf courses are in hell. Better climate for growing Bermuda.

And the swimming pools are much nicer.  Is it bad that I am warming up to the idea of being sent to hell?

  • Haha 2
Link to post
1 minute ago, california boy said:

And the swimming pools are much nicer

Dont you mean hot tub?😂😂

2 minutes ago, california boy said:

Is it bad that I am warming up to the idea of being sent to hell?

On Earth hell is a state of mind. People put theirselves in "hell" daily because they won't put in the effort to overcome the fear that controls them while here on Earth.  I've read a bunch of your post, your a smart person, don't worry about hell, if anyone tells you that your possibly going there, well that's why God gave you two middle fingers. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
10 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:
  10 hours ago, california boy said:

Is it bad that I am warming up to the idea of being sent to hell?

I know I've already replied to this post you made, but this is the first time someone has posted and it has bugged me enough that I'm going to write you again. It drives me crazy that you feel this way! 

     My oldest daughter is gay and I knew it early on, years before she actually told us. I started preparing her for it mentally because I knew it wasn't an easy situation to deal with. I just wanted to tell you what I did as a father incase it can help you. It's probably not going to be popular, but oh well, I've never worried to much about that. Here's what I have taught my children.

   Ultimately, everything you do while here on Earth is between you and the Savior. There's no man that stands between you and him. Not your bishop, stake president, not even your dad. You have all the control, you're in the driver's seat. I taught my girls early on that if there's anything in their mind that is taking up too much precious energy, to face it head on and fix it as soon as they can. To use positivity to crush whatever is cankering their soul. For example, when my daughter came out as gay my mother was upset, she thought she was losing her grand daughter eternally. I shut that down really quick, and instead of pushing my mother away, we love bombed her basically, we made my daughter's identity a positive and used the situation to visit my mother more, send homemade gifts, take her food from our garden. 

   I believe our mind is like a long Hall way with many doors. And in my experience, I've never been able to open a door in my mind or in someone else's mind with negativity or fear. Positivity is the key. 

    Anyways, what I'm basically getting at, if you've never tried walking around daily like your the baddest moxxxx xxxxer on Earth, I suggest trying it. You can pull it off while still being humble, caring, kind, positive and do as many good deeds as possible daily. You control your mind, you can walk around while here on Earth thinking your a king, or you can walk around thinking your a slave, it's all a mental game, and one I know you can conquer.

    I hope this doesn't come across as preaching to you, but I wanted to give you a somewhat unique perspective. It hurts my soul to here people say they think they're possibly going to hell. Love ya buddy!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

I know I've already replied to this post you made, but this is the first time someone has posted and it has bugged me enough that I'm going to write you again. It drives me crazy that you feel this way! 

     My oldest daughter is gay and I knew it early on, years before she actually told us. I started preparing her for it mentally because I knew it wasn't an easy situation to deal with. I just wanted to tell you what I did as a father incase it can help you. It's probably not going to be popular, but oh well, I've never worried to much about that. Here's what I have taught my children.

   Ultimately, everything you do while here on Earth is between you and the Savior. There's no man that stands between you and him. Not your bishop, stake president, not even your dad. You have all the control, you're in the driver's seat. I taught my girls early on that if there's anything in their mind that is taking up too much precious energy, to face it head on and fix it as soon as they can. To use positivity to crush whatever is cankering their soul. For example, when my daughter came out as gay my mother was upset, she thought she was losing her grand daughter eternally. I shut that down really quick, and instead of pushing my mother away, we love bombed her basically, we made my daughter's identity a positive and used the situation to visit my mother more, send homemade gifts, take her food from our garden. 

   I believe our mind is like a long Hall way with many doors. And in my experience, I've never been able to open a door in my mind or in someone else's mind with negativity or fear. Positivity is the key. 

    Anyways, what I'm basically getting at, if you've never tried walking around daily like your the baddest moxxxx xxxxer on Earth, I suggest trying it. You can pull it off while still being humble, caring, kind, positive and do as many good deeds as possible daily. You control your mind, you can walk around while here on Earth thinking your a king, or you can walk around thinking your a slave, it's all a mental game, and one I know you can conquer.

    I hope this doesn't come across as preaching to you, but I wanted to give you a somewhat unique perspective. It hurts my soul to here people say they think they're possibly going to hell. Love ya buddy!

Your post really touched some deep emotions in me.  I wish my coming out to my family could have been so supportive and understanding.   Through this process, I too have learned for myself that nothing comes between my Savior and myself.  I know this might sound strange to many on this board, but I honestly felt closer to the Savior after I came out and left the Church.  In my mind, I always knew that the Savior knew who I was and I always felt his love.  But to feel an increase in love was not what I expected.  Maybe He was love bombing me as well to help me get through this.

I don't really feel like I am going to hell myself, though I know there are many members who feel that is where I am headed.  I know I will be judged on who I am as a person.  I know God will judge me, not against others, but based on who I am.  I may very well not be part of the upper echelon of gods, but really, since I don't want to be with some woman for eternity, and would much rather be with the one I love, that is perfectly ok with me.  

Thanks for your tender spirit.  That was very kind of you to share your approach.  Your daughter is a VERY lucky person.  I know I am lucky as well to have such a strong relationship with God.  Unfortunately that is not true with most LGBT members.  For some, this transition puts them in a deep spiral that is not healthy and is based on false understandings that they have been taught.  

Edited by california boy
  • Like 2
Link to post
1 hour ago, california boy said:

Your post really touched some deep emotions in me.  I wish my coming out to my family could have been so supportive and understanding.   Through this process, I too have learned for myself that nothing comes between my Savior and myself.  I know this might sound strange to many on this board, but I honestly felt closer to the Savior after I came out and left the Church.  In my mind, I always knew that the Savior knew who I was and I always felt his love.  But to feel an increase in love was not what I expected.  Maybe He was love bombing me as well to help me get through this.

I don't really feel like I am going to hell myself, though I know there are many members who feel that is where I am headed.  I know I will be judged on who I am as a person.  I know God will judge me, not against others, but based on who I am.  I may very well not be part of the upper echelon of gods, but really, since I don't want to be with some woman for eternity, and would much rather be with the one I love, that is perfectly ok with me.  

Thanks for your tender spirit.  That was very kind of you to share your approach.  Your daughter is a VERY lucky person.  I know I am lucky as well to have such a strong relationship with God.  Unfortunately that is not true with most LGBT members.  For some, this transition puts them in a deep spiral that is not healthy and is based on false understandings that they have been taught.  

You and Mike both, are great teachers and spreaders of love! I hope the LGBTQ crowd, of which I have in mine and my husband's family, can realize that God doesn't make mistakes, or Mother in heaven or the Divine or ?

My nephew on my husband's side lucked out with great parents. His dad, my BIL, is in the bishopric, and his mom is a Saint, one of the most giving people I know. They accept this young man and his partner wholeheartedly. And I believe it made all the difference and is a big reason he's still on the earth. Some mornings many years ago they had no idea if they'd find him alive in his room, it got so bad. Only because this nephew struggled so much with his identity because of the teachings from the church and from the world that said it is not okay. Luckily the church and most of society now realize it's not a choice really. Some may choose but most are born that way as you well know.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...