Seriously No Politics ×

Motivational speech thread

Today, a lot of us live such a cushy life, me included, I think we forget what the men and women of the greatest generation did for us. They lived through the great depression and two world wars. 

Growing up, I was fortunate enough to be able to work with an older gentleman who fought in World War II. He must of been his 70s at the time and he was the most humble, hardworking man I have ever met. He could out work me even though I was a teenager. 

I think us youngins can learn a lot from the words of people born back then. In many ways Winston Churchill was a flawed man, but he also did great things, that's where we can find inspiration.

27 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

My question is why is he giving the sign of the Devil with his left hand?

No no no Robert , that's not the sign of the devil, I think there's a big light behind him and he's making a big shadow rabbit on the ceiling for the audience 😂🤣😂🤣.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

https://www.leadershipnow.com/tr-citizenship.html

2 minutes ago, poptart said:

That's was cool, I pushed on the link and I was already a subscriber. I'll listen to videos from that channel in my headset while I'm at work.

Poptart, this is off the topic of the thread but since you talk about privilege a lot, I thought you might enjoy a you tube channel im addicted to, it's called Soft White Underbelly. The video below is one of the videos from that channel, I think some of these videos should be required to watch in high school. A lot of kids these days don't understand how much poverty there is around them, can't really learn about that through Facebook or tic toc.  Actually, this isn't off topic because Elmer, the guy in the video below actually motivates me because I really like his personality and his outlook on life. I'm one generation removed from this type of life in the Appalachian mountains but still practice some of the lifestyle through raising my own meat along with hunting and fishing. 

15 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

That's was cool, I pushed on the link and I was already a subscriber. I'll listen to videos from that channel in my headset while I'm at work.

Poptart, this is off the topic of the thread but since you talk about privilege a lot, I thought you might enjoy a you tube channel im addicted to, it's called Soft White Underbelly. The video below is one of the videos from that channel, I think some of these videos should be required to watch in high school. A lot of kids these days don't understand how much poverty there is around them, can't really learn about that through Facebook or tic toc.  Actually, this isn't off topic because Elmer, the guy in the video below actually motivates me because I really like his personality and his outlook on life. I'm one generation removed from this type of life in the Appalachian mountains but still practice some of the lifestyle through raising my own meat along with hunting and fishing. 

I knew people who were that poor growing up, good people.  Was saddens me is when people like that lose their homes because transplants drive up the cost of living.  The drugs part is scary, believe it was in the SE oxycotin addiction started, now it's Fentanyl.  Children in this country in general irritate me, the entitlement is one reason why.  Still, in a way you can't be too angry at them, it's the parents.  I would not want to be a child growing up in this country nowadays, thanks to social media your whole life can be ruined on your first day of school if someone doesn't like you.  Stuff like that has to drive the parents up the wall, only thing harder than being a child nowadays is being a parent, big surprise why so many men chose to be child free.  What I am curious about is how much longer entitled children will be able to live in such insular bubbles, it's becoming very, very expensive and difficult for parents to maintain.  Big surprise the majority of men like me simply don't care and tend to withdraw from society as much as we can.  You see it in how men nowadays really don't participate in fraternities, churches etc.  for us the lemon simply isn't worth the squeeze, we're simply not welcome so we've turned our backs as they did to us.  As it is child abduction is a lot more common as is crime.  What's the first thing you see when there's an accident?  People recording/streaming it on their phones, same with riots.  

On 4/16/2021 at 11:30 AM, Robert F. Smith said:

My question is why is he giving the sign of the Devil with his left hand?

Ha! No, that is Hawaiian sign language for "Hang loose"!

9 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Thanks.  But is that LDS Hawaiian, or just generic Hawaiian?

Quite generic. While on our week-long vacation on Oahu back in 2012, I saw a number of just random people waggling this sign. 

Actually, I think I got confused there. The proper sign is with the thumb and little finger. The one in the image above might not actually be the "Shaka", and maybe it is what you said. 

• 2 weeks later...