Seriously No Politics ×

Byutv to include lgbtq characters....

6 hours ago, california boy said:

The honest truth is, I don't really trust the Church to treat LGBT fairly and honestly.  It is not like they have a good track record in that department.  

And my expectation is that you will see exactly whatever you expect to see in this. It seems clear that your judgement is already made. 

Oh my!

Another terribly wrong decision by BYU / The Church...Are we  so scared of what the world thinks or do we want to be liked by the world so badly that we are willing to accept THEIR values?  Do we think appeasing the world will make them our friends?

Appeasement never works.  It is a loosing strategy.

Look,  it’s easy to guess how the gay characters will be portrayed:  They will be portrayed positively.  They will not be portrayed as a person struggling against evil temptations, trying to keep the law of chastity.  This would go against the CBC and they have already “warned” us so it’s pretty clear we will do whatever they say.

in the end it will come across as normalizing which leads to condoning homosexuality—sad.

I fear for The Church.

2 hours ago, OGHoosier said:

And my expectation is that you will see exactly whatever you expect to see in this. It seems clear that your judgement is already made. 

Well considering the history of the Church against LGBT and what the Church told me to do, I certainly have my reasons to not expect a fair and honest treatment.

You might not be aware of the actions and attitudes towards gays through the long history of the Church.  Of course, why would you care?  It is something you have never had to deal with.  If you are interested, you might want to look at this.  Timeline of Mormon Thinking About Homosexuality.  So much for visionary men guided by God.

I know there are some on this board that thinks I should shut up about this history and just sweep it under the rug.  And perhaps I should.  But considering the personal impact it has caused in my life, I feel like it is something that I should bring out in the open.  It certainly is not something you are going to learn about in Sunday School.  I figure if you are not interested in learning and trying to understand where former gay members come from, you can ignore my posts.

37 minutes ago, california boy said:

Well considering the history of the Church against LGBT and what the Church told me to do, I certainly have my reasons to not expect a fair and honest treatment.

You might not be aware of the actions and attitudes towards gays through the long history of the Church.  Of course, why would you care?  It is something you have never had to deal with.  If you are interested, you might want to look at this.  Timeline of Mormon Thinking About Homosexuality.  So much for visionary men guided by God.

I know there are some on this board that thinks I should shut up about this history and just sweep it under the rug.  And perhaps I should.  But considering the personal impact it has caused in my life, I feel like it is something that I should bring out in the open.  It certainly is not something you are going to learn about in Sunday School.  I figure if you are not interested in learning and trying to understand where former gay members come from, you can ignore my posts.

Thank you for the link. I am very interested in this subject because I am concerned about the church’s stance on homosexual behavior, and I have my own thoughts about it. I always read your posts with great interest. 

I thought there were already LGBTQ characters on Studio C?  In the first cast, the guy that was actually gay (Stacey?) was less effeminate than most of the other dudes.  I admit my gaydar broke when the 46 different terms for sexuality came out so I can't tell what anyone is anymore.  It's a good thing that everyone now posts their sexual orientation on the internet so we all can know without trying to guess.

On 4/12/2021 at 4:34 PM, The Nehor said:

I am not willing to do the research to find out.

On 4/12/2021 at 4:30 PM, JustAnAustralian said:

The question of course is, how will people know that these characters are lgbti+?

For the sexuality related ones, it would be either them saying it, or through romantic relationships. How are straight romantic relationships shown on BYUtv?

We know....

On 4/13/2021 at 1:41 AM, california boy said:

The honest truth is, I don't really trust the Church to treat LGBT fairly and honestly.  It is not like they have a good track record in that department.  

If I watched more network type tv i'd just sit back and watch the fun.  Not like I trust networks here in general but hey, the controversy and angry youtube/social media comments will be comedy gold.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 2:30 PM, ttribe said:

An interesting development out of Canada.  Link: https://nowtoronto.com/movies/byutv-to-include-lgbtq-characters-following-a-warning-from-cbc

Wonder how this is going to work...

From the story -

Sounds like BYU-TV is pandering. No need to do such things unless they forgot or no longer care about whose name they carry and are associated with, for starters. They prefer to appear appeasing to a tiny minority because they fear what? What is the explicit benefit to their audience? Other than fear, political and ideological compromise, there are no obvious reason for that particular media entity to include such characters into their scripted programing. 

"Compromise is like pulling your pants down, son, 1/2 an inch at a time....in not too long, you will be completely exposed for all to see what was always there....just hiding"  -F.M . (my grandmother)

4 hours ago, Islander said:

Sounds like BYU-TV is pandering. No need to do such things unless they forgot or no longer care about whose name they carry and are associated with, for starters. They prefer to appear appeasing to a tiny minority because they fear what? What is the explicit benefit to their audience? Other than fear, political and ideological compromise, there are no obvious reason for that particular media entity to include such characters into their scripted programing. 

"Compromise is like pulling your pants down, son, 1/2 an inch at a time....in not too long, you will be completely exposed for all to see what was always there....just hiding"  -F.M . (my grandmother)

don't be so dramatic, there have been gay characters or at least people playing characters on TV since forever. As I said this is unheard of Canadian company broadcasting, in Canada-this is absolutely not mainstream.

18 hours ago, Duncan said:

don't be so dramatic, there have been gay characters or at least people playing characters on TV since forever. As I said this is unheard of Canadian company broadcasting, in Canada-this is absolutely not mainstream.

What the rest of the world has done or currently does is not my concern when it come programming. I was referring, specifically, about BYU-TV. And, notice, you actually failed to answer to my argument, ignored it and moved on to rather tangential response.

Just now, Islander said:

What the rest of the world has done or currently does is not my concern when it come programming. I was referring, specifically, about BYU-TV. And, notice, you actually failed to answer to my argument, ignored it and moved on to rather tangential response.

Then you shouldn't have commented on what BYUTV shows in CANADA, which is part of what you said,  "the rest of the world" PLEASE tell me you know that Canada is NOT the USA? PLEASE tell me you know they are TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES. By your own admission then this matter is "not my concern"

21 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Then you shouldn't have commented on what BYUTV shows in CANADA, which is part of what you said,  "the rest of the world" PLEASE tell me you know that Canada is NOT the USA? PLEASE tell me you know they are TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES. By your own admission then this matter is "not my concern"

Again, I was referring to BYU-TV which is the same whether here in the US or Australia (assuming there was one there), in terms of what the organization represents and the values that it should uphold. The "rest of the world" is NOT BYU-TV, i.e. other broadcasters.

5 minutes ago, Islander said:

Again, I was referring to BYU-TV which is the same whether here in the US or Australia (assuming there was one there), in terms of what the organization represents and the values that it should uphold. The "rest of the world" is NOT BYU-TV, i.e. other broadcasters.

your opinion is totally worthless, this is ONLY in Canada. My goodness

https://geology.com/world/world-map.shtml

a Map of the world to help you out. Can you see that Canada isn't the same country as the United States? do you see the two different colors for the two different countries? There's yellow for Canada and Orange for the United States, two colors for two countries

Edited by Duncan
4 minutes ago, Duncan said:

your opinion is totally worthless, this is ONLY in Canada. My goodness

https://geology.com/world/world-map.shtml

a Map of the world to help you out. Can you see that Canada isn't the same country as the United States? do you see the two different colors for the two different countries? There's yellow for Canada and Orange for the United States, two colors for two countries

Is your first language English? You definitely are not understanding what I am saying and, I promise you, it has absolutely nothing to do with geography! I gave you the 6th grade explanation in my last post and yo come back with a map? I give up.

Just now, Islander said:

Is your first language English? You definitely are not understanding what I am saying and, I promise you, it has absolutely nothing to do with geography! I gave you the 6th grade explanation in my last post and yo come back with a map? I give up.

Yes, but I am typing this out so I don't see what language I speak has anything to do with anything. What if I spoke German? Would it matter?  Do you think in a logical manner because it doesn't seem like it. I am glad you give up because you can't see how easy I had to explain all this-you don't seem to get the idea of BYUTV showing this in CANADA, not the US. Like, I said worthless opinion