Seriously No Politics ×

Byutv to include lgbtq characters....

An interesting development out of Canada.  Link: https://nowtoronto.com/movies/byutv-to-include-lgbtq-characters-following-a-warning-from-cbc

Wonder how this is going to work...

From the story -

BYUtv will start including LGBTQ characters on its TV shows after Canadian writers and producers voiced concerns over exclusionary “unwritten” rules on the Mormon church-affiliated broadcaster’s productions.

“Our upcoming series Overlord And The Underwoods will have LGBTQ characters,” BYUtv’s Canadian producing partner Marblemedia said in an email to NOW on April 8. “We have been having conversations with BYUtv about LGBTQ representation in future seasons of The Parker Andersons/Amelia Parker.”

Showrunner Anthony Q. Farrell and members from his writing team from made-in-Canada shows The Parker Andersons and Amelia Parker told NOW they could not include clearly identified queer characters in the shows since BYUtv is owned by U.S.-based college Brigham Young University, the flagship educational institution of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), aka the Mormon church.

BYU has a ban on same-sex relationships on campus. The church also deems same-sex relationships a “serious transgression” and can excommunicate members who identify as gay and act on their homosexuality.

“BYU has told me for the shows that I’m working on with them, which right now is just Overlord And The Underwoods, we can open the doors up to queer representation,” said Farrell said in a follow-up interview. He also says that the LGBTQ characters in the sitcom about an intergalactic villain seeking witness protection on earth will be clearly identified, not simply coded as queer for deniability’s sake.

BYUtv provided NOW with the following statement: “As a young network committed to bringing together religious and non-religious audiences, BYUtv is learning and exploring ways to partner with diverse content creators, writers and talent to implement meaningful co-viewing experiences for our target audience (children 8-15 and their parents). While BYUtv has not referenced LGBTQ+ topics and characters in the five original scripted series it has aired to date, we desire to address subjects – including LGBTQ+ – that are important to our growing and diverse audience.

“There are no policies that would exclude the network from including characters who identify as LGBTQ+, and BYUtv is exploring ways to do so,” a network rep added.

8 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I saw this last week.  I think it's a great idea and a way to put our money where our mouth is.  We teach that there is no sin in being homosexual.   If we really believe that, then there should be nothing wrong with having characters on a BYUtv show that are homosexual.  As long as the character is written in a way that stays within the teachings of the church, I'm all for it.

I'm sure that for those that will never be happy with the church or BYU until they embrace SSM and a homosexual lifestyle, this will be met with an "it's not good enough, it's still wrong" mentality.  I've already read some people expressing the opinion that all that BYU is doing is tokenism and therefore it's not o.k.  I can understand that perspective, and agree that tokenism usually does no one any favors.  But I don't think we know enough yet to definitively say that tokenism is what is going to happen in this instance.

Was the church's hand forced?

3 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Was the church's hand forced?

The articles basically says that BYUtv was strongly encouraged to make the change following concerns over "unwritten" rules for the show that seemed exclusionary.  If it's true (and I have no reason to believe it's not), it doesn't really surprise me that BYUtv didn't make the decision all on it's own. 

The church doesn't seem to be involved, other than through their connection with the school obviously.

LGBTQ characters next.  And then what?  People who violate the Word of Wisdom?  People who have sexual relations but who are not sealed as husband and wife in a temple of God?  Protestants?  Catholics?  Muslims, even?  (gasps!)

Has any show ever had only perfect characters in it, with no flaws whatsoever!  What are our standards for the types of characters that should be allowed to appear on TV shows and movies, exactly?

4 minutes ago, JustAnAustralian said:

The question of course is, how will people know that these characters are lgbti+?

For the sexuality related ones, it would be either them saying it, or through romantic relationships. How are straight romantic relationships shown on BYUtv?

I am not willing to do the research to find out.

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

I saw this last week.  I think it's a great idea and a way to put our money where our mouth is.  We teach that there is no sin in being homosexual.   If we really believe that, then there should be nothing wrong with having characters on a BYUtv show that are homosexual.  As long as the character is written in a way that stays within the teachings of the church, I'm all for it.

I'm sure that for those that will never be happy with the church or BYU until they embrace SSM and a homosexual lifestyle, this will be met with an "it's not good enough, it's still wrong" mentality.  I've already read some people expressing the opinion that all that BYU is doing is tokenism and therefore it's not o.k.  I can understand that perspective, and agree that tokenism usually does no one any favors.  But I don't think we know enough yet to definitively say that tokenism is what is going to happen in this instance.

Before I got to your 2nd paragraph I was already wondering the same thing about the potential reaction. And yes, my suspicion is that it will be viewed as tokenism. I don't believe the argument has been that as long as you give commensurate representation then all is well but rather, give us representation and let us be portrayed as practicing our sexual preferences much like you would do with the heterosexual community.

14 minutes ago, JustAnAustralian said:

The question of course is, how will people know that these characters are lgbti+?

For the sexuality related ones, it would be either them saying it, or through romantic relationships. How are straight romantic relationships shown on BYUtv?

That was my question. Are characters introduced as gay in passing, or is gay dating, PDA, etc. actually portrayed? The latter would be much worse than the former, in my view. Or, would these characters be gay, but living Church standards? It doesn't sound like it, in any case. **That** would anger the activist mobs. 

I think about what Elder Johnson said in the letter that finally addressed the gay dating controversy at BYU last spring: "“Same-sex romantic behavior cannot lead to eternal marriage and is therefore not compatible with the principles included in the Honor Code." I don't see a way to even slip it in in passing for characters without violating the spirit of this, if not the letter. "Hey, Bruce, why don't you bring your boyfriend to the clam bake Friday?"

46 minutes ago, rongo said:

If it was top shelf, established entertainment, it wouldn't be appearing on BYUtv . . . ;) 

well, in that case I'll have to look for it now! funnily enough The Office is on, in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!! we don't know anything about Scranton!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow I don't think this is going to go well. 

I agree, how will anyone know if the character is gay.  I will go ballistic if they put on some effeminate flamboyant gay cartoon character as a way of letting the audience know there is a gay character.  I don't think I am alone.  

Having a person announce to everyone that they are gay each time they enter the room is also pretty offensive.  I just hope this doesn't come off as gay black face.  I am so uncomfortable with how BYUtv thinks a gay person should be portrayed.  Guess we will have to wait and see.

39 minutes ago, Duncan said:

well, in that case I'll have to look for it now! funnily enough The Office is on, in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!! we don't know anything about Scranton!!!!!!!!!!!

No one outside of Scranton knows anything about Scranton. 

32 minutes ago, california boy said:

I am so uncomfortable with how BYUtv thinks a gay person should be portrayed.

Do you know how BYUtv thinks a gay person should be portrayed?

I was under the impression that they haven't tried yet. 

Edited by OGHoosier
39 minutes ago, OGHoosier said:

Do you know how BYUtv thinks a gay person should be portrayed?

I was under the impression that they haven't tried yet. 

Of course not.  Did you think from my post that I did know?

1 hour ago, california boy said:

I am so uncomfortable with how BYUtv thinks a gay person should be portrayed.  Guess we will have to wait and see.

It's not in-house though, it's a Canadian production partner who it looks like has been wanting it for a while. 
Though judging how the lgbt+ characters in Riverdale are shown, I'm not sure that not being in-house will necessarily help.

42 minutes ago, JustAnAustralian said:

It's not in-house though, it's a Canadian production partner who it looks like has been wanting it for a while. 
Though judging how the lgbt+ characters in Riverdale are shown, I'm not sure that not being in-house will necessarily help.

I am still guessing that BYUTV won't be able to show the character as a normal gay person who actually dates guys or holds hands with his boyfriend.  The Church gets way too freaked about stuff like that.

Well, I am not going to worry about it.  The church will do what it wants.  It is not really my problem to figure out.

Edited by california boy
3 hours ago, Duncan said:

I have never heard of those TV shows or Marblemedia, I don't think it's mainstream any

Nothing on BYUTV is mainstream.  Would love for our Canadian friend Duncan to watch some of these programs with his family to determine if his family completely falls apart and into the grasp of Satan, or if his family determines they really don’t care and aren’t affected. :)

1 hour ago, california boy said:

Of course not.  Did you think from my post that I did know?

If you don't know how BYUtv thinks a gay character should be portrayed, how can you already be upset by it?

And yet you did say:

2 hours ago, california boy said:

I am so uncomfortable with how BYUtv thinks a gay person should be portrayed.

Edited by OGHoosier
2 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

Nothing on BYUTV is mainstream.  Would love for our Canadian friend Duncan to watch some of these programs with his family to determine if his family completely falls apart and into the grasp of Satan, or if his family determines they really don’t care and aren’t affected. :)

hahhahaha! well, the last time I heard anyone upset in our family over TV is when "The Facts of Life" went off the air

4 hours ago, OGHoosier said:

If you don't know how BYUtv thinks a gay character should be portrayed, how can you already be upset by it?

And yet you did say:

The honest truth is, I don't really trust the Church to treat LGBT fairly and honestly.  It is not like they have a good track record in that department.  

4 hours ago, california boy said:

The honest truth is, I don't really trust the Church to treat LGBT fairly and honestly.  It is not like they have a good track record in that department.  

Does anyone? Honestly, GLAAD has been harping on the portrayal of gays in entertainment media - including films coming out of Hollywood - for years

I imagine BYUtv will portray LGBT characters about as fairly and honestly as most other companies. Only I predict they will be criticized more harshly for doing just as well as everyone else.