Seriously No Politics ×

Status of church

Status of church normalization  

61 members have voted

1. 1. To what extent is your Sunday meeting schedule "back to normal?"

• All meetings are still virtual only
    • Sacrament meeting is in person, but 2nd hour is virtual only
    • Both hours are offered in-person
    • Hybrid: In-person sacrament meeting alternates between segments of the ward
  2. 2. What is the level of "mitigation protocols" enforcement in your church meetings? (masks,

• Stringently enforced/insisted upon
    • Whatever people want to do, in practice

10 hours ago, JustAnAustralian said:

Our biggest problem at the moment is getting people vaccinated. For multiple reasons our roll-out hasn't worked out that well for us so far. That is one thing that I have been super impressed at the USA with.

In Utah, the governor has the National Guard helping to move people through the vaccinations quickly and efficiently.  They are unarmed and friendly.  Most of the elderly were vaccinated in February.

On 4/9/2021 at 8:05 AM, rongo said:

I'm in Pinal County, Arizona.

Heya!  I'm in southern Pima County, AZ.  Sahuarita, to be exact, though I commute up to Tucson for work.

Church for us is in-person, with a youtube stream for those who don't wish to attend.  Ward business and talks are done first, and then the stream is turned off for the sacrament.  Those who are at home have been authorized by the bishop to administer the sacrament in their homes at that point.  2nd hour is virtual, but it rotates between organizations.  Elder's Quorum one week, Relief Society the next. 

Unwise post.

Edited by 3DOP
Self preservation.
On 4/12/2021 at 12:14 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

In Utah, the governor has the National Guard helping to move people through the vaccinations quickly and efficiently.  They are unarmed and friendly.  Most of the elderly were vaccinated in February.

The men and women of the Utah National Guard rock! B:)

image.jpeg.01ede0f181691463c77b1c10a3e11f0a.jpegimage.png.539bc0e1977857faec14fc89f0ee02db.png

On 4/12/2021 at 12:14 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

I can’t get an appointment. And I’m in Utah. 

Have you tried the zip code vaccine locator site?

https://vaccinefinder.org/search/?zipcode=84664&medications=779bfe52-0dd8-4023-a183-457eb100fccc%2Ca84fb9ed-deb4-461c-b785-e17c782ef88b%2C784db609-dc1f-45a5-bad6-8db02e79d44f&radius=25

Don't just assume the big sites are the ones most likely to have openings.  My son was able to get right in with our small town pharmacy and I was with our small town clinic...though it is a part of several smaller town clinics group.

Can you go outside your county?  I don't know if people are restricted....If so and you don't mind driving, I can give you the names of our local sites and you might be able to get one that way.  Or check some sites in the north of the county.

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Back in February, I couldn't get one either.  However, a bunch of women in my ward would gather each day and start phoning the Utah County Health Dept number.  When one of them got through, she would arrange for a bunch of appts.  That's how I got my appt.  Anyone who wanted an appt got one.  In Feb.  I understand that availability has broadened since then.

In middle Indiana, we have sacrament in person. They continue to offer it by Zoom as an option. We have been having a second hour meeting by Zoom. Each week is a different group that gets the second hour meeting.

Today, it was announced that we will have a second hour meeting in person, including primary, beginning in May.

Masks are still worn, except by those speaking. After speaking, the speaker wipe down the podium and the microphone.

10 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Try Walgreens or Kroger/Fry's.  And try those sites every night after midnight (if you stay up that late), because they won't have them available one minute, but then after a short time they will have some available.  

This is the Walgreens site:   https://www.walgreens.com/topic/promotion/covid-vaccine.jsp

And this is the Kroger site:   https://www.kroger.com/rx/guest/get-vaccinated

The thing I hated about the Walgreens site is they make you create an account first.   But I was able to set an appointment there first.

I am in Ft. Worth, TX. We’ve been having 40 min., in-person sacrament for several months, but hubby and I only went back a few weeks ago once we were fully vaccinated. (I was promptly called as a primary teacher, lol). Everyone wears masks and social distances during the meeting, but I saw more people grouping up after the meeting today and talking. Singing started today, masks on, and only the sacrament hymn. It was also announced today that second hour would start in two weeks, but only 30 minutes, and they’re not sure what to do about primary, yet. I believe they will continue zoom meetings for those who aren’t ready to return. 

On another note, both of the bishop’s counselors have had beards at various times during their tenure, but today our High Council rep pulled off his mask to speak and he had a nice, full beard. First time I’ve seen a high councilman with a beard here. Funny how something so trivial could make me smile and feel like some of the old “culture” is falling by the wayside so we can concentrate on the important things. 

11 hours ago, Calm said:

Have you tried the zip code vaccine locator site?

https://vaccinefinder.org/search/?zipcode=84664&medications=779bfe52-0dd8-4023-a183-457eb100fccc%2Ca84fb9ed-deb4-461c-b785-e17c782ef88b%2C784db609-dc1f-45a5-bad6-8db02e79d44f&radius=25

Don't just assume the big sites are the ones most likely to have openings.  My son was able to get right in with our small town pharmacy and I was with our small town clinic...though it is a part of several smaller town clinics group.

Can you go outside your county?  I don't know if people are restricted....If so and you don't mind driving, I can give you the names of our local sites and you might be able to get one that way.  Or check some sites in the north of the county.

I probably could, but I don’t choose to. I won’t make a road trip for this. Especially if I have to get two doses. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
33 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

I am in Ft. Worth, TX. We’ve been having 40 min., in-person sacrament for several months, but hubby and I only went back a few weeks ago once we were fully vaccinated. (I was promptly called as a primary teacher, lol). Everyone wears masks and social distances during the meeting, but I saw more people grouping up after the meeting today and talking. Singing started today, masks on, and only the sacrament hymn. It was also announced today that second hour would start in two weeks, but only 30 minutes, and they’re not sure what to do about primary, yet. I believe they will continue zoom meetings for those who aren’t ready to return. 

On another note, both of the bishop’s counselors have had beards at various times during their tenure, but today our High Council rep pulled off his mask to speak and he had a nice, full beard. First time I’ve seen a high councilman with a beard here. Funny how something so trivial could make me smile and feel like some of the old “culture” is falling by the wayside so we can concentrate on the important things. 

They are doing both hours here in Ohio, but we’re not going back until my wife gets her second dose (I got mine several weeks ago). Having seen what Covid does (one death and several serious illnesses in our family), we’re not taking any chances. 

10 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Back in February, I couldn't get one either.  However, a bunch of women in my ward would gather each day and start phoning the Utah County Health Dept number.  When one of them got through, she would arrange for a bunch of appts.  That's how I got my appt.  Anyone who wanted an appt got one.  In Feb.  I understand that availability has broadened since then.

So has demand. They don’t restrict it to over-60 folks anymore, so I missed that window. 

At this point, I think I’ll just wait for the crowds to thin out. Fauci says everybody has to keep masking and social distancing even after getting vaccinated, so I don’t see much point in being in a hurry for it. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
3 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

They are doing both hours here in Ohio, but we’re not going back until my wife gets her second dose (I got mine several weeks ago). Having seen what Covid does (one death and several serious illnesses in our family), we’re not taking any chances. 

We feel the same way. We’ve had several acquaintances and one family member pass from Covid, including our RS President’s husband. 

Edited by Peacefully
3 hours ago, InCognitus said:

Try Walgreens or Kroger/Fry's.  And try those sites every night after midnight (if you stay up that late), because they won't have them available one minute, but then after a short time they will have some available.  

This is the Walgreens site:   https://www.walgreens.com/topic/promotion/covid-vaccine.jsp

And this is the Kroger site:   https://www.kroger.com/rx/guest/get-vaccinated

The thing I hated about the Walgreens site is they make you create an account first.   But I was able to set an appointment there first.

Thanks for the links. The Kroger one took me to some Smith’s stores, but it’s the same story: The nearby ones don’t have available slots. 

10 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Thanks for the links. The Kroger one took me to some Smith’s stores, but it’s the same story: The nearby ones don’t have available slots. 

Yeah, I forget they're called Smith's in Utah (they are Fry's in Arizona), but it's the same company.   But keep trying those.  As I said, I would try them one time, and come back a little later and they'd have slots open all of a sudden.  Those sites are a lot easier to get an appointment on than the government ones (from my family experiences).

Ward conference yesterday, and most members (including many elderly --- presumably vaccinated, although I know of some who have chosen not to) were not wearing masks. Stake presidency members weren't as well (the stake president did). We're literally waiting on the Area Seventy to allow in-person second hour. Stakes up in Maricopa County already have this, and our county and city have a low positivity rate. 

3 minutes ago, filovirus said:

Oregon. The state that seems to be permanently closed.

My son visa-waited in Milton-Freewater, OR for six weeks and loved it. It's night-and-day different from the population centers in the western part of the state, though (a ward in a town of 8,000 people). He's still in communication with people there, and we're going to go visit when he gets home. I'll have to have my son find out how that ward has done things during all of this. It's a very conservative area. 

On 4/19/2021 at 10:24 AM, rongo said:

Ward conference yesterday, and most members (including many elderly --- presumably vaccinated, although I know of some who have chosen not to) were not wearing masks. Stake presidency members weren't as well (the stake president did). We're literally waiting on the Area Seventy to allow in-person second hour. Stakes up in Maricopa County already have this, and our county and city have a low positivity rate. 

Sometimes it is so weird how this all works.  We really are not that far from each other - we have second hour in person (with zoom for those who want it), but masks are required.  

Edited by Rain
7 minutes ago, Rain said:

Sometimes it is so weird how this all works.  We really are not that far from each other - we have second hour in person (with zoom for those who want it), but asks are required.  

Area Seventy roulette, baby! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

We had second hour today (actually, 30 minutes) for the first time since getting back to in-person church. I was recently called as a primary teacher so I got a first-hand view of the primary process, but I’m sure it will be tweaked as we go along. We didn’t separate for classes or into jr/sr. We had 14 kids in total. We had a short lesson and then singing time. Kids were encouraged to use hand sanitizer as they came in. Doors were left open and chairs were three feet apart. Almost all had masks. The kids were really good and excited to be there but not as excited as the parents were to drop them off, lol. One observation, 4-yr olds are really bad at social distancing and are notorious anti-maskers, lol.

All in all, it was a very good experience and I think it was handled as well as it could be:)