Seriously No Politics ×

Lesson 1 - Another testament

I started reading this manual of the church.   I have a question about a teaching
of Ezra Taft Benson in lesson 1.

"Much of the Christian world today rejects the divinity of the Savior. They question 
His miraculous birth, His perfect life, and the reality of His glorious resurrection. 

What does "Christian world" mean?  Can someone even be considered a Christian if he
or she denies the biblical teachings of Christ's divinity, his miraculous birth, his
perfect life, and his resurrection?

Tony

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_population_growth#:~:text=As of 2021%2C the global,world population of 7.875 billion

As of 2021, the global Christian population is estimated at 2.545 billion, compared to an estimated world population of 7.875 billion. 

I think Ezra may have considered any Christian who was questioning Jesus' miraculous birth, His perfect life, and the reality of His glorious resurrection to be Christians who were rejecting those teachings.  Otherwise they could accept without question.

16 minutes ago, marineland said:

I started reading this manual of the church.   I have a question about a teaching

"Much of the Christian world today rejects the divinity of the Savior. They question 
His miraculous birth, His perfect life, and the reality of His glorious resurrection. 

What does "Christian world" mean?  Can someone even be considered a Christian if he
or she denies the biblical teachings of Christ's divinity, his miraculous birth, his

Tony

It could be that Pres. Benson was referring to the western world where the culture is, for the most part, based on Christianity.

29 minutes ago, marineland said:

Tony

"Much" of the Christian world means "a significant portion" (not the majority). This is an accurate statement. There are many nominal, cultural Christians who do not believe and accept that Jesus was God, that He was born of the virgin Mary, that He was resurrected, etc. He was a great teacher, but a mortal man, etc. There are ordained ministers in this category. 

On 4/8/2021 at 10:49 AM, marineland said:

Tony

Maybe he had Christian progressives in mind; as in Jesus "the great teacher and rebel" and whatnot, but nothing particularly miraculous or salvific.