Received a deseret book catalogue - it turns me off

5 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I highly doubt anyone was getting rich at the temple in Jesus time either.  

I don't have a problem with art.  I'm a professional artist myself, of sorts, but my issue has always been around using the Word to get gain.  It convolutes the message for me personally.  I hold no grudge against those who choose to buy. My heart was affected by an uncle who retired recently from the church institute program who would share with us at dinner his stories of his "prideful colleagues" who pursued fame and fortune the biz.  He himself turned down multiple speaking gigs because he didn't want to mix money with the gospel.  I realize it's extreme but that's how my background formed me today.

FYI

I do think it could be hard to keep your humility sometimes in things like this.  I think one needs to recognize that in these kind of jobs (as well as in other jobs) and work closely with Heavenly Father to do it.  I trust though that if a prophet can do it then others can as well.  

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

That stands to reason that the church is making some good money then, since they own the publishing company. 

That’s a simplistic view. Deseret Book, like others of the Church’s commercial holdings, is a self-sustaining business with profits being plowed back into the business. 

Added later: Furthermore, my hunch is that the vast majority of titles published by Deseret Book are not huge money makers. They probably earn about enough to cover costs, if that. 

So it doesn’t “stand to reason” that the Church is making a killing off from Deseret Book. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

That stands to reason that the church is making some good money then, since they own the publishing company. 

Just now, Scott Lloyd said:

That’s a simplistic view. Deseret Book, like others of the Church’s commercial holdings, is a self-sustaining business with profits being plowed back into the business. 

Neither one of those positions is knowable absent financial statements.  There are many possibilities which could confirm or contradict both of these statements (Tacenda's and Scott's).

• Upvote 1