Genetic evidence of migrations across the pacific during book of mormon timeframe

Not suprised, I heard stories like this from mom who had them handed down.  Most polynesians who know their roots know the ancients were superb at sea.  While a lot of Europe was scratching things on cave walls and living in huts they were using the stars to navigate the seas.  

Also, they supposedly did sail around the pacific NW long ago.  Would have to find the source, they either intermarried or were just killed.  Pretty much what happened to the vikings in Canada.  

Edited by poptart
5 hours ago, poptart said:

Not suprised, I heard stories like this from mom who had them handed down.  Most polynesians who know their roots know the ancients were superb at sea.  While a lot of Europe was scratching things on cave walls and living in huts they were using the stars to navigate the seas.  

Also, they supposedly did sail around the pacific NW long ago.  Would have to find the source, they either intermarried or were just killed.  ..............

Are you thinking of studies which suggest that the Maori of New Zealand and the Kwakiutl of British Columbia, Canada, are related?  Both have totem poles, for example.

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Are you thinking of studies which suggest that the Maori of New Zealand and the Kwakiutl of British Columbia, Canada, are related?  Both have totem poles, for example.

That might have been it.  Also, remember reading a book about the Tlingit and how they were similar to the Ainu in Japan.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, poptart said:

Polynesians were experts, but like you say, they learned it from their ancestors. Their ancestors were the Kumr, the same people who settled (and named) Comoro Island and a likely candidate for the source of the Australasian genetic signal in the Americas.

What if we're looking at everything backwards?

The Book of Mormon setting is an island in the sea named Cumorah and Hagoth's ships sailed to South America in the 1st century BC. The Book of Mormon is an account of the former inhabitants of the American Continent and the islands from whence they came.

Edited by Rajah Manchou
On 4/4/2021 at 8:09 PM, Rajah Manchou said:

Polynesians were experts, but like you say, they learned it from their ancestors. Their ancestors were the Kumr, the same people who settled (and named) Comoro Island and a likely candidate for the source of the Australasian genetic signal in the Americas.

What if we're looking at everything backwards?

The Book of Mormon setting is an island in the sea named Cumorah and Hagoth's ships sailed to South America in the 1st century BC. The Book of Mormon is an account of the former inhabitants of the American Continent and the islands from whence they came.

While I am not a believing Christian/Mormon, the very idea of Natives and Polynesians being looked highly upon is always a welcome thing, outside of what a few Catholic Missions did think it really was the LDS church who was the kindest to them.  That being said, here's my take, reason why they were good at it?  Same reason why so many hunter gatherers and nomads like the Mongols were so big and ferocious, the weak died.  Those who couldn't read the stars and predict bad seas didn't make it.  Grandma believed in the Christian religion but when she would see things like a shark she'd say Manu (think it was a shark god).  Most of them were fishermen and later on military.  Hard concepts to explain to sheltered privileged people, even I can't imagine just how hard life was.  Even now I imagine that is a sailors worst nightmare, being stranded out at sea with sharks around you and unknown to you a storm approaching.  That was something else that was handed down to me, grandma seeing people dragged out to sea.