Seriously No Politics ×

2020 numbers

Being the stake clerk in my stake here in England, I thought I would run a report and compare convert numbers year by year for the past few years. Here are my results:

Year by Year Convert Numbers
Mid-March to Mid-March

3/2017 - 3/2018 38
3/2018 - 3/2019 32
3/2019 - 3/2020 38
3/2020 - 3/2021 20

Keep in mind that folks move out and move in, and the numbers above reflect confirmation dates that fall within the parameters, not where the baptism/confirmation ordinance occurred. But the vast majority of the numbers above would have occurred in our stake.

Obviously, the Covid-19 situation has affected missionary work -- though it hasn't stopped it.

3 hours ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Steve, I could be mistaken but I was under the impression all missionary age men would have been subject to the mandatory military draft during the years of WWII? And, I don’t think many countries would have accepted our missionaries had that not been the case? Large parts of the world were at war with each other.

Interesting article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.deseret.com/platform/amp/2017/4/3/20609680/events-surrounding-world-wars-had-significant-impact-on-lds-church-and-general-conference

14 hours ago, InCognitus said:

It should be obvious from the spreadsheet numbers, but I'll point out that the .6% net increase in church membership for 2020 is the lowest that it has been in the last 163 years, ever since the decrease in membership in 1857.  

Right.  And 1830 was the high-water mark for percentage growth.  Things have been going downhill since then, Alas! :( :huh: 

Don’t the numbers include children baptised as well as missionary converts? Would there have been a larger number of children to be baptised in the world wars and in the flu pandemic, given that larger families were more normal in the first half of the 20th century, than at this time?

4 hours ago, sheilauk said:

Don’t the numbers include children baptised as well as missionary converts? Would there have been a larger number of children to be baptised in the world wars and in the flu pandemic, given that larger families were more normal in the first half of the 20th century, than at this time?

It includes "children of record". Not sure if records are created if baby blessings are put off. 

4 hours ago, sheilauk said:

I think I read that one of the reasons the numbers are down is that a lot of parents didn't do baby blessings this year (covid) and that impacts the numbers.

15 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I think I read that one of the reasons the numbers are down is that a lot of parents didn't do baby blessings this year (covid) and that impacts the numbers.

I was thinking the same thing.  But there has been a steady decline in the last few years:

Year Children Added to Records Net Change
2009 119,722  
2010 120,528 806
2011 119,917 (611)
2012 122,273 2,356
2013 115,486 (6,787)
2014 116,409 923
2015 114,550 (1,859)
2016 109,246 (5,304)
2017 106,771 (2,475)
2018 102,102 (4,669)
2019 94,266 (7,836)
2020 65,440 (28,826)

On 4/4/2021 at 3:25 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

Wouldn’t that have been intuitively predictable, given the COVID mess we have endured? 

Scott, did you not predict that gay marriage in Utah would not happen in your lifetime?

Yet here you are, talking about intuition and predictability...

15 minutes ago, maxrep12 said:

Scott, did you not predict that gay marriage in Utah would not happen in your lifetime?

Yet here you are, talking about intuition and predictability...

I don't want to get into the maelstrom of argument that surrounds whether voters should be allowed to determine who gets to exercise what the United States Supreme Court says is a "fundamental right," but if voters had decided the question, it's very likely (or at least, it is much more likely) that Scott would have been right.

On 4/5/2021 at 2:43 PM, SeekingUnderstanding said:

It includes "children of record". Not sure if records are created if baby blessings are put off. 

It may have changed since I was assistant ward clerk for membership, but that's when records are created for them.

Here is a little information on the 2020 statistics: hopefully my math is correct.

2020 membership: 16,663,663

2020 convert baptisms: 125,930

2020 8 year old children baptized: 65,440

2019 membership: 16,565,036

If you take the 2019 total membership and add in the 2020 new convert baptisms and the 8 year old children baptisms the total is 16,756,406.  If you then subtract the 2020 total membership you find the total number of people who are no longer on the membership records due to death or leaving the church. That number is 92,743, if my math is correct.  

For the most part, many people are not interested in organized religion. Ir is on a downward trend. And so, no surprise with the missionary numbers. I do believe that there has been an attack on Christian beliefs by media outlets and programming at least in the western parts of the world. No surprise that church attendance would be down too for most faiths. And people seem to be encouraged to leave their christian faith.

I think that it is different in Islam. No critical thought about the Koran is allowed and there seems to be a lot of protection around that faith to keep members coming to the Mosque. Who would dare rake the Koran over the coals like the book of Mormon has been and the bible too. Not many. Just think of that poor teacher in France and what happened in the UK a couple of weeks ago to that teacher.

I do think however that we would all be better off if more people did have their organized religion to draw on. Would there be the chaos we have today if they were more involved?