Seriously No Politics ×

2020 numbers

13 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

When will the baptism numbers for last year be released? I’m curious how the Covid restrictions affected our missionary efforts

Historically the statistic reports are released at the same time as April General Conference.  I recall being able to look them up on the church website on or shortly after April General Conference weekend.  If you look back at prior years, the statistics are published in the May Ensign along with the conference talks.  So I would start looking for the 2020 statistics this weekend.

Edited by InCognitus
11 hours ago, sunstoned said:

They use to give the numbers over the pulpit during conference.  I have not seen this happen the last several years.

I think the last time it happened was in 2018.  Maybe October 2017.  It's hard to find out since the reports are still released during general conference and the news outlets seem to word the release the same way whether it was published during general conference or actually shared over the pulpit.

On 4/2/2021 at 9:41 AM, Avatar4321 said:

When will the baptism numbers for last year be released? I’m curious how the Covid restrictions affected our missionary efforts

It has been posted here.

Matt Martinich summarizes here, and promises an analysis soon.

Try this one:  https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/april-2021-general-conference-statistical-report

Edited by Okrahomer
10 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

Unless I am misunderstanding your 3rd column, your numbers are off in the third and fourth columns for the last two rows. I did not check above those two rows.

2019      16,565,036      251301      1.51%

2020      16,663,663       98,627      .59%   

Grrr..... I didn't correct the math formula when I added the new line, it should be this:

2016 15,882,417 248,218 1.59%
2017 16,118,169 235,752 1.48%
2018 16,313,735 195,566 1.21%
2019 16,565,036 251,301 1.56%
2020 16,663,663 98,627 0.60%

Thanks for pointing that out.  I thought the last percentage seemed high, that should have been a good clue to check the formula.

EDIT:  I fixed it in my original post so it is complete.

Edited by InCognitus
28 minutes ago, InCognitus said:

It should be obvious from the spreadsheet numbers, but I'll point out that the .6% net increase in church membership for 2020 is the lowest that it has been in the last 163 years, ever since the decrease in membership in 1857.  

Wouldn’t that have been intuitively predictable, given the COVID mess we have endured? 

8 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Wouldn’t that have been intuitively predictable, given the COVID mess we have endured? 

I think a good comparison would be to look at the numbers from 1919 and 1920. Those were the years the Spanish Flu was in full pandemic mode.

Also, you could look and compare the numbers during the years of WWI and WWII when we didn’t have much, if any, missionary program and many nations were completely shut off from access. Similarly, the Korean War or Vietnam years.

Edited by Peppermint Patty
33 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

I think a good comparison would be to look at the numbers from 1919 and 1920. Those were the years the Spanish Flu was in full pandemic mode.

Also, you could look and compare the numbers during the years of WWI and WWII when we didn’t have much, if any, missionary program and many nations were completely shut off from access. Similarly, the Korean War or Vietnam years.

I’m old enough to remember the Vietnam War. I recall some years in the. ‘60s when, to appease draft boards, quotas were imposed upon wards limiting the number of missionaries that could be called, but I don’t remember missionary work being curtailed on anywhere near the scale we’ve seen this past year. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
8 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I’m old enough to remember the Vietnam War. I recall some years in the. ‘60s when quotas were imposed upon wards limiting the number of missionaries that could be called, but I don’t remember missionary work being curtailed on anywhere near the scale we’ve seen this past year. 

Scott, during WWII what was our missionary program like compared to 2020?

1 minute ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Scott, during WWII what was our missionary program like compared to 2020?

I don’t have any information at the ready on that. 

But I did find this regarding the Church during the 1918 flu epidemic. It says meetings were canceled in October through December. No information about missionary work, but I’m guessing if meetings were only canceled for three months, that missionary work curtailment wasn’t as extensive then as it was this past year. 

https://history.churchofjesuschrist.org/blog/the-church-is-more-than-a-meetinghouse?lang=eng

15 minutes ago, SteveO said:

It was probably as robust as the industrial sector and general economies in each respective year...

Steve, I could be mistaken but I was under the impression all missionary age men would have been subject to the mandatory military draft during the years of WWII? And, I don’t think many countries would have accepted our missionaries had that not been the case? Large parts of the world were at war with each other.

18 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I don’t have any information at the ready on that. 

But I did find this regarding the Church during the 1918 flu epidemic. It says meetings were canceled in October through December. No information about missionary work, but I’m guessing if meetings were only canceled for three months, that missionary work curtailment wasn’t as extensive then as it was this past year. 

https://history.churchofjesuschrist.org/blog/the-church-is-more-than-a-meetinghouse?lang=eng

Scott, I was able to find this article about missionary work in WWII. It looks like LDS missionaries were evacuated starting in 1939 from all foreign countries until the end of WWII in 1945:

https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/etd/4542/

9 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Steve, I could be mistaken but I was under the impression all missionary age men would have been subject to the mandatory military draft during the years of WWII? And, I don’t think many countries would have accepted our missionaries had that not been the case? Large parts of the world were at war with each other.

That assumes missionary work begins and ends with full time missionaries.  It does not.  My point still stands that at no prior time did life shut down so completely and abruptly and widespread as it did in 2020.  Not even during WWII.

I moved to Virginia from Utah at the beginning of March last year.  I never did meet my bishop in person during my time in corporate housing.  We had to communicate entirely by text.  The fact the church grew at all is surprising.

12 minutes ago, SteveO said:

That assumes missionary work begins and ends with full time missionaries.  It does not.  My point still stands that at no prior time did life shut down so completely and abruptly and widespread as it did in 2020.  Not even during WWII.

Steve, you should read the article I posted in my comment above. Missionary work was shut down from 1939 until 1945 during WWII. At least in 2020 there were tens of thousands of missionaries still converting people through online means. The internet and social media were obviously not available during 1939-1945.

1 hour ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Steve, you should read the article I posted in my comment above. Missionary work was shut down from 1939 until 1945 during WWII. At least in 2020 there were tens of thousands of missionaries still converting people through online means. The internet and social media were obviously not available during 1939-1945.

It's been up to the whims of mission president roulette (and also local restrictions). Some places have had relatively normal missionary conditions. Norway has been great for our son.

I took the sisters to visit a good contact on Friday (she was near baptism when we moved two years ago, and attended regularly. I had told them that I was 99% sure I remembered which house is hers, and I was right. I really wanted to get them there, because the woman is Pima/Tewa, and one of the sisters is Shoshone/Bannock, but goes home in three weeks). They went door knocking afterwards. 

I think the Facebook only missions are mostly in North America (by choice of the mission president), with some exceptions. 

4 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

No information about missionary work

I tried to add a column for the number of full-time missionaries to my membership chart, but the Church Almanac data (that I could find) through 2008 shows the number of "Missionaries Called" by year, and not the number of full-time missionaries in the same way it is reported in our recent annual statistical reports.  If I could find the number of missionaries called each year for 2009 and later, I could match apples to apples for the prior year numbers.

Edited by InCognitus