The millennium - a curious doctrine

2 hours ago, strappinglad said:

We " can't HANDLE the truth " !!

I forgot a factor that will affect the righteousness of the world in the Millennium. At His coming and before, the earth's population of particularly the wicked, will be destroyed. Also , many righteous ( as many as one half ) will be caught up to meet Him. How many of those return to earth is unknown. 

Say “hi” to the City of Enoch for me. I would say it myself but I will probably be trying to cook one final S’mores on myself and hopefully eat it before the flames are done.

Edited by The Nehor
51 minutes ago, california boy said:

I am curious.  Do you think it is possible to have a war in the Celestial Kingdom where many of these conditions will also be possible?  

No, because character weaknesses that lead to such behaviour have been removed from us through the full acceptance of the Atonement.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:36 PM, The Nehor said:

Nope, they are resurrected at the beginning of the Millenium at their current age and, per Joseph Smith, are raised by their parents. I assume that only applies if the parents are resurrected. I am guessing there will be a huge need for adoption in the first part of the Millenium as well.

I also suspect that the ‘twinkling of an eye’ ‘death’ is not a thing for them as they have already been resurrected so seems likely they will live on earth until the end of the Millenium.

Again, I am way off in speculation land. I take no responsibility for anyone who believes this to be the true gospel and gets damned for it.

Reminds me of something Joseph Smith Jr. had to say about the ex-communication of someone who believed a little something (can't remember what that something was off-hand, sorry!) that a stake high council took exception to.  Joseph Smith Jr. reversed the ex-communication saying something along the lines of "a man can be damned for believing too little but may not be damned for believing too much."  

8 minutes ago, Douglas Avans said:

Reminds me of something Joseph Smith Jr. had to say about the ex-communication of someone who believed a little something (can't remember what that something was off-hand, sorry!) that a stake high council took exception to.  Joseph Smith Jr. reversed the ex-communication saying something along the lines of "a man can be damned for believing too little but may not be damned for believing too much."  

I like that quote, but you know, I've never been able to find any record of Joseph saying it.  It's nowhere on the Joseph Smith papers site, not in the TPJS or WJS compilations.
The only possible reference is Discourses of Joseph Smith by Burton pg 39 but I don't have a copy to check the reference.

Reminds me of the Brigham Young quote that Brigham never said:

Pin on Quotes

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

Reminds me of the Brigham Young quote that Brigham never said:

Pin on Quotes

Just because it was never recorded did not meant it was never said by them. I accept this quote without question:

6F86E988-676A-4E84-A936-3D5D5C6CC3A8.jpeg.2f7e2110711d606f1278bddf8dce5d6d.jpeg

• Haha 1

What purpose would the millennium have?

1) temple work

2) repairing the earth

3) introduction of ordinances not yet known

4) recovery and translation of ancient scriptures not yet found

5) completing works of salvation that require a more direct communication between mortals and angels

6) Advancements science and technology to prepare our species for divinity. The school of the prophets becomes the school of the temple worthy scientist

7) advances in forms of government to prepare  our species for divinity

I can see that as humanity makes great strides in social advancement, Satan will try to make a final effort to prevent us from our next stage of evolution as a species. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Freedom said:

1) temple work

2) repairing the earth

5) completing works of salvation that require a more direct communication between mortals and angels

6) Advancements science and technology to prepare our species for divinity. The school of the prophets becomes the school of the temple worthy scientist

I can see that as humanity makes great strides in social advancement, Satan will try to make a final effort to prevent us from our next stage of evolution as a species. 

You forgot the most important one - direct political administration by the Savior.

5 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

You forgot the most important one - direct political administration by the Savior.

I am not sure that this is the purpose so much as the means that will allow critical work to be accomplished. But it certainly will be how government is directed. a UN with real teeth. 

1 hour ago, Freedom said:

1) temple work

2) repairing the earth

A chance to perfect ourselves.

It is not that Satan will make one final effort. It is that he will be allowed to offer his alternative one last time so those who did not get a chance in physical form will. His desperation alone will not release him or his followers. Who knows? There may even be a piece of fruit someone eats or some equivalent to let him out.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Freedom said:

I am not sure that this is the purpose so much as the means that will allow critical work to be accomplished. But it certainly will be how government is directed. a UN with real teeth. 

You just sent tens of thousands of crazy people into a paroxysm of despair imagining their nightmare UN.

I don't think it will have real teeth. That suggests that God is willing to rule by coercion and might. I have met far too many people (not saying you are one of them) for whom the only significant difference between God and Satan is that God will win and the key is to pick the winner. They see both as a kind of bully bent of compelling obedience but if they pick the winner they will get power over those who disagree and finally be able to gloat over those (insert enemy here) who will finally see how wrong they were. I admit that often appeals to me but I suspect that impulse is more diabolic than divine.

If the government needs teeth and seeks to compel obedience in a Terrestrial World I doubt Jesus would be willing to be at the head of it at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

You just sent tens of thousands of crazy people into a paroxysm of despair imagining their nightmare UN.

I don't think it will have real teeth. That suggests that God is willing to rule by coercion and might. I have met far too many people (not saying you are one of them) for whom the only significant difference between God and Satan is that God will win and the key is to pick the winner. They see both as a kind of bully bent of compelling obedience but if they pick the winner they will get power over those who disagree and finally be able to gloat over those (insert enemy here) who will finally see how wrong they were. I admit that often appeals to me but I suspect that impulse is more diabolic than divine.

If the government needs teeth and seeks to compel obedience in a Terrestrial World I doubt Jesus would be willing to be at the head of it at all.

At some point God will enforce his laws on the earth.  But until then you are right.

Just as religious freedom will be maintained AND every knee will now and tongue confess.