Seriously No Politics ×

As bluebell said, where my catholics at?

As Bluebell said a few months ago, "Hey, where my Catholics at?" ;):D  Can any of all y'all recommend a good biography of Saint Joan that is accessible to someone who is all but completely ignorant of French and Catholic History?  (And shhh!  Please don't tell anyone that some of my ancestors were Huguenots: French Protestants.  If, by, some unfortunate quirk of fate, you happen to find out, please don't hold it against me! :huh:)

:D;)Merci in advance!

Jeanne d'Arc, La Pucelle d'Orléans

...she experienced her first vision in 1425 at the age of 13, when she was in her "father's garden"[32] and saw visions of figures she identified as Saint Michael, Saint Catherine, and Saint Margaret, who told her to drive out the English and take the Dauphin to Reims for his consecration. She said she cried when they left, as they were so beautiful.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arc

Kenngo, hi.

There is a silent movie I saw years ago. It was horrible but faith affirming for a Catholic. Politics corrupting Ecclesiastical authorities. Kind of contemporary in that respect. I would expect sentimental sensationalism from anything more modern.

No books that I have read. I would think there are some. My history is also shaky in that time and place. Apparently, God was for France...at that time and place. I mean from my perspective. No Huguenots yet. 

I am unfond of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. Perhaps the author of those works did better in his biography of St. Joan, but I doubt it.

Sorry not to know more.

Regards,

Rory

Edited by 3DOP
10 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

As Bluebell said a few months ago, "Hey, where my Catholics at?" ;):D  Can any of all y'all recommend a good biography of Saint Joan that is accessible to someone who is all but completely ignorant of French and Catholic History?  (And shhh!  Please don't tell anyone that some of my ancestors were Huguenots: French Protestants.  If, by, some unfortunate quirk of fate, you happen to find out, please don't hold it against me! :huh:)

I quite enjoyed the BYU TV Documentary on Joan of Arc that aired during the holiday season of 2015.  I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it already.  This is a top notch documentary, and it keeps your interest by combining historical re-creations with interviews from modern scholars and religious leaders.  You will want to see it simply for the Latter-day Saint take on the topic.  

Watching this convinced me that there was something important that this woman had to do, and the preservation of France was crucial to the establishment of the United States and consequently, to the restoration of the gospel.

This is a one minute trailer for the documentary: 

And here's the full 1.5 hour documentary:

Edited by InCognitus

😀

11 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

@3DOP

Thanks for chiming in Rory. :)  Always nice to cyber-see you. :D

Same here Ken. Thanks. My smiley face is misplaced. You might have to look for it!

Edited by 3DOP
On 3/26/2021 at 1:25 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

I'm sorry, I have not read any biographies of St. Joan, so I can't help out. I just wanted to say that I'm here, since you called :) 

8 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

I'm sorry, I have not read any biographies of St. Joan, so I can't help out. I just wanted to say that I'm here, since you called :) 

:good:

8 hours ago, 3DOP said:

😀

Same here Ken. Thanks. My smiley face is misplaced. You might have to look for it!

There's a song that Latter-day Saint Primary children (ages 3-11) sing:

If you chance to meet a frown

Do not let it stay

Quickly turn it upside down

And smile that frown away!

No-one likes a frowny face.

Change it for a smile.

Make the world a better place

By smiling all the while. :)

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/music/library/childrens-songbook/smiles?lang=eng

16 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I haven't read any of these, but I'll chime in anyway ;)  My dad read the one by Helen Castor and enjoyed it. I read a short one years ago by Mary Gordon, in the Penguin Lives series. I liked it but have nothing else to compare it to.

From the reviews I've read, Castor's book is a straightforward work of history, well told (Castor is a medieval historian who specializes in telling women's stories), whereas Harrison's book is more interpretive and idiosyncratic (Harrison is a novelist and memoirist).

I also highly recommend the movie that Rory mentioned, The Passion of Joan of Arc, by Carl Theodore Dreyer. The dialogue is taken from the transcripts of Joan's trial. It's unforgettable, particularly with the soundtrack by Richard Einhorn

2 hours ago, Nevo said:

I haven't read any of these, but I'll chime in anyway ;)  My dad read the one by Helen Castor and enjoyed it. I read a short one years ago by Mary Gordon, in the Penguin Lives series. I liked it but have nothing else to compare it to.

From the reviews I've read, Castor's book is a straightforward work of history, well told (Castor is a medieval historian who specializes in telling women's stories), whereas Harrison's book is more interpretive and idiosyncratic (Harrison is a novelist and memoirist).

I also highly recommend the movie that Rory mentioned, The Passion of Joan of Arc, by Carl Theodore Dreyer. The dialogue is taken from the transcripts of Joan's trial. It's unforgettable, particularly with the soundtrack by Richard Einhorn

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

On 3/26/2021 at 6:15 PM, Ahab said:

Here is another good one

I never heard of this version, indeed an all star cast. However the lead seems a bit more than this actress can carry. She is a talented actress, but not sure about this role. Anyway, I would love to see the movie. When did it come out, or has it come out?

5 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I never heard of this version, indeed an all star cast. However the lead seems a bit more than this actress can carry. She is a talented actress, but not sure about this role. Anyway, I would love to see the movie. When did it come out, or has it come out?

It's been out for awhile, Papa.  Check the date on the trailer.  It might be on Netflix, I don't know.  I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I find it.

For what it's worth, this thread was inspired by this one over on Dan Peterson's Blog, Sic et non:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2021/03/some-personal-reflections-on-joan-of-arc.html

19 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

For what it's worth, this thread was inspired by this one over on Dan Peterson's Blog, Sic et non:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2021/03/some-personal-reflections-on-joan-of-arc.html

Thanks Ken. I have admired Dr. Peterson's acerbic wit over the years. But mostly, I admire his fearless open-mindedness. He isn't concerned if admission of a true spiritual reality in the life of St. Joan might seem to verify her faith. He examines the facts of the case without regard for the result. In that respect, he is a good Catholic, who I should try to emulate.

For what it's worth, I watched the BYUtv docudrama linked to earlier in the thread and, if one doesn't mind a few short clips from a couple of leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints interspersed with comments from others who are knowledgeable about Saint Joan's life (it's a BYUtv documentary/docudrama, after all! ;)) I daresay that even our Roman Catholic friends might like it! :D

Edited by Kenngo1969
7 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I said something similar earlier in this thread, but after reading Dan's article I need to say this again, because I've always had similar thoughts to what Dan wrote in his article:

Back in March 2006, my wife and I attended the production of a play at Brigham Young University that impressed me very much.  Written by Melissa Leilani Larson and directed by David Morgan, it was Angels Unaware: A Story of Joan of Arc.  I would love to see it (and to see it produced) again.  For the first time — I had honestly never given St. Joan of Arc much thought prior to that time — it raised the question in my mind of whether Joan might actually have been interacting with real angels.

I’m quite sympathetic to the thought.  My only reservation is that I can’t quite see why God would care about whether or not Charles VII was crowned at the Cathedral of Reims.  Charles seems such an unworthy object of divine concern.  What difference did it make?  On the other hand, Joan’s accomplishments are so astoundingly remarkable — an illiterate teenage peasant girl becomes the commander of the armies of France and essentially puts an end to the Hundred Years’ War? — that’s it’s difficult for me to imagine how the supernatural could not have been involved in her story.

But after I watched that BYU Documentary, it occurred to me that without Joan's intervention, England may have succeeded in gaining supremacy over France.  And France's help to the colonies during the American Revolutionary War is what made eventual victory and independence from Britain possible.  Without France's help, things in the Americas would definitely be different today, and perhaps even with respect to the restoration of the gospel. 

If we look back through history, even in biblical history, there are not many times when God interferes with human events in noticeably big and miraculous ways.  His intervention with France via Joan of Arc is definitely one of those times.  So it must have been an important reason.  It also makes me stop and think of the reasons why God didn't try to step in to convince one of the military leaders, or the king himself.  Instead, he had to send angels to a girl, one who would be humble enough to listen, someone he could work with to accomplish what needed to be done.  It tells me I need to be less like the thick headed, educated know-it-all military leaders and kings, and more like the humble peasants who seek to serve God and not their own desires.  I like the lessons from the story as much as the story itself.  It's a story that needs more attention.  Thanks for opening this thread.

2 minutes ago, InCognitus said:

... I like the lessons from the story as much as the story itself.  It's a story that needs more attention.  Thanks for opening this thread.

Thank you, for contributing! :D:friends:

12 hours ago, The Nehor said:

This is probably a good recreation of how it went down:

Recreation is an activity of leisure, leisure being discretionary time. The "need to do something for recreation" is an essential element of human biology and psychology. Recreational activities are often done for enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure and are considered to be "fun".

Synonyms & Antonyms of recreation
  • dalliance,
  • frolic,
  • frolicking,
  • fun,
  • fun and games,
  • play,
  • relaxation,
  • rollicking, etc . . .

Maybe you meant reconstruction - - -

other words for reconstruction
  • rehabilitation.
  • repair.
  • restoration.
  • alteration.
  • conversion.
  • reformation.
  • regeneration.
  • remodeling.
3 hours ago, longview said:

Recreation is an activity of leisure, leisure being discretionary time. The "need to do something for recreation" is an essential element of human biology and psychology. Recreational activities are often done for enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure and are considered to be "fun".

Synonyms & Antonyms of recreation
  • dalliance,
  • frolic,
  • frolicking,
  • fun,
  • fun and games,
  • play,
  • relaxation,
  • rollicking, etc . . .

Maybe you meant reconstruction - - -

other words for reconstruction
  • rehabilitation.
  • repair.
  • restoration.
  • alteration.
  • conversion.
  • reformation.
  • regeneration.
  • remodeling.

More than one definition of recreation.

rec·re·a·tion
/ˌrēkrēˈāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: recreation; noun: re-creation
the action or process of creating something again.
"the periodic destruction and recreation of the universe"
a re-enactment or simulation of something.
plural noun: recreations; plural noun: re-creations
"they enjoyed television's recreations of more confident times"