Netflix 'murder among mormons'

The other day my daughter called me (very perplexed) wanting to know why she never heard of the “White Salamander Letter”. I told her that she never heard of it, because it was a forgery. I also explained to her that the bombings in Salt Lake, took place just weeks before she was born. This led to a long conversation about all that I knew from reading about it back in the 1980’s, and since. When I was still in Army, serving aboard Medivac Helicopters full time, it became a point of contention between myself and another pilot, I flew with often. He and his Church were heavily into anti-Mormon literature, and he would often make reference to the “White Salamander Letter”, among many other non-truths, and half-truths, concerning The Church. 

During this time, National Guard pilots would come to train with us each year. One such pilot was from Salt Lake, he joined our group for two weeks in 1984. He quickly inquired and found myself and another member, in order to get our Church meeting schedules. As soon as the before mentioned pilot found out he was LDS, it started again. One day when he got fed up, he told the other pilot, “look, it is not true, and one day it will be discovered as a lie”. He went on to say, “what will you do then, will you apologize to these guys, because I won’t be here”? 

Having never seen the Netflix documentary, I decided to watch it. In doing so I learned many things I did not know, and it was “CHILLING”, listening to Mark Hoffman’s allocation of his crimes to avoid the death penalty. I was listening to pure evil, coming from a very unassuming individual, a true evil genius! What I did not know, is that he was also doing this to others concerning American historical forgeries. Shortly before watching the Netflix series, I stumbled upon a story of forgiveness toward the family of Mark Hoffman, that I was able to forward to my daughter. 

So, now I am coming here to see what else I can learn from those who lived in the Salt Lake area. Those who are members of the Church, and members of this website. Or from anyone else, for that matter. 

Thoughts, feelings, impressions, etc? 

I was pretty blase' about it when it came on the news. I was a new mother and watched on the news. But back then I was all about the church ward being my social circle and wasn't worried about anything anti. It did affect me, as far as the killings especially because my best friend from elementary school's mom is Steve Christensen's aunt, so her cousin. But as far as the Salamander Letter, that didn't even phase me. But according to Sandra Tanner, it was one of the most harrowing for members to go through and many left the church, she said the store she worked at was full of members that came in to ask her about what they'd just learned and many left the church. So there's that. I'm very glad Mark didn't die and die as if he was an innocent.

7 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I was pretty blase' about it when it came on the news. I was a new mother and watched on the news. But back then I was all about the church ward being my social circle and wasn't worried about anything anti. It did affect me, as far as the killings especially because my best friend from elementary school's mom is Steve Christensen's aunt, so her cousin. But as far as the Salamander Letter, that didn't even phase me. But according to Sandra Tanner, it was one of the most harrowing for members to go through and many left the church, she said the store she worked at was full of members that came in to ask her about what they'd just learned and many left the church. So there's that. I'm very glad Mark didn't die and die as if he was an innocent.

Tanners, and Walter Martin made a lot of money, by running with Hoffman’s forgeries. I am not sure if they ever retracted the many books they sold based on this and other disproven writings. 

4 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Tanners, and Walter Martin made a lot of money, by running with Hoffman’s forgeries. I am not sure if they ever retracted the many books they sold based on this and other disproven writings. 

The Tanners recognized the Salamander Letter as a possible forgery, and said so well over a year before the bombings.

But some books did take a hard hit because of the forgeries, or had to be rewritten before being released, like D. Michael Quinn's, Early Mormonism and the Magic World View.

Edited by InCognitus
  • Upvote 2

I found the Netflix documentary fascinating.  The time I served as a missionary coincided almost exactly with the timeline of the bombings through the trial. As such, I was very much out of the loop on the news of the events.  Hearing that it was all a fraud was all I really needed to know to put it out of my mind while I served.