Romney gets profile in courage award

4 minutes ago, gopher said:

I've worked in DC too long to believe morals factor much in decisions made by politicians.  It was a safe bet for Romney to go against Trump since he knew it wouldn't hurt him much as a Senator from Utah.  I'm not sure why you are claiming Cruz and Graham have no morals with the criticisms they made against Trump.  Don't you agree with their assessments?

The State GOP was working on censuring Romney and there were attempts to find a way to recall him. I don’t think it was a safe move.

The GOP in general is really going overboard on ideological purity. McCain’s wife was censuring by the Arizona state GOP for defending her husband against things they were saying about him.

Ideological may be a bad word. Idolatrous purity since it is about devotion and kissing the ring of one person?

14 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Ever heard of the Oscars ? 

Yeah I'm not impressed with people patting themselves on the back.

21 hours ago, ttribe said:

I'm guessing you're a Trump supporter?

One doesn't need to be a Trump supporter to believe that in neither impeachment was there a shadow of validity. In the first one, a prominent constitutional lawyer who in no way was a Trump supporter, and in fact supported Clinton in 2016 and Biden in 2020, spent an hour and a half on the floor of the Senate arguing that there was no constitutional validity in the impeachment. I found his arguments compelling, and I did not vote for Trump in 2016. 

In my personal opinion, Mitt voted the way he did because he has a snit against Trump. And I don't hold that snit against him -- Trump deserves a lot of snits -- but I do feel that Mitt voted his snit, and it had little to do with principle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

The State GOP was working on censuring Romney and there were attempts to find a way to recall him. I don’t think it was a safe move.

The GOP in general is really going overboard on ideological purity. McCain’s wife was censuring by the Arizona state GOP for defending her husband against things they were saying about him.

Ideological may be a bad word. Idolatrous purity since it is about devotion and kissing the ring of one person?

I don't think Romney was too worried about any idle threats from the State GOP.  He's often been criticized by the GOP as being weak and wishy washy so this was a way to prove he has a backbone.  Of course, far more damning accusations of him come from the left who reminded us during the election that HE PUT HIS DOG ON THE TOP OF HIS CAR WHILE DRIVING HIS FAMILY ON VACATION!!!

Romney seems like a decent guy and I wish there were more people in government like him.  But it still seems like this award was more a dig at Trump than rewarding courage from Romney.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, gopher said:

I don't think Romney was too worried about any idle threats from the State GOP.  He's often been criticized by the GOP as being weak and wishy washy so this was a way to prove he has a backbone.  Of course, far more damning accusations of him come from the left who reminded us during the election that HE PUT HIS DOG ON THE TOP OF HIS CAR WHILE DRIVING HIS FAMILY ON VACATION!!!

Romney seems like a decent guy and I wish there were more people in government like him.  But it still seems like this award was more a dig at Trump than rewarding courage from Romney.

It can be both things.

3 minutes ago, gopher said:

A most damning accusation, indeed. As pathetic as it was possible to be.

3 minutes ago, gopher said:

As much as I don't care for Romney's action vis-a-vis the impeachments, I agree with you here.