Seriously No Politics ×

James huntsman (jon's brother) sues church for 'fraud'

10 hours ago, Analytics said:

Whether Churches are in fact taxed has a lot of bearing on whether they may be taxed.

Churches don't cease being churches if they endorse political candidates. Rather, they are simply taxed according to the Constitutional rules of the tax code. Likewise, churches don't cease to be churches if they generate taxable income. These examples prove that churches can be and in fact are taxed.

Churches can only be taxed when they are not churches.  You might want to work out the syllogism.

Churches in fact cease to be churches when they cease to function as such.  That is why churches may have profit-earning subsidiary businesses, which are in fact taxed.  The profit-making subsidiearies are not churches.  Tax lawyers advise on the niceties, which do not include by-gosh-and-by-golly reasoning.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
10 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Well given that case the phrase is still being over applied.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

If no law respecting establishing a formal religion is what they actually meant, then applying it as "no laws respecting Churches" would be a big overstatement.

The Founding Fathers were disestablishmentarians.   😎

10 hours ago, Tacenda said:

It has bothered me that many of the leaders have many books in the book store. I remember going online at DB store and seeing many per leader, or the select few I looked up. But maybe I'm causing cross hairs here.

Perhaps not surprisingly, a lot of LDS members like to read advice from the Brethren.  Some of their books have become classics.  There is a definite market for it.  Why does that bother you?

10 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

But only on the federal level. Some of the founders opposed them on the state level but it wasn’t until the early 19th century that state funds going to support churches ended for the last states. The last great church/state controversy was Utah where statehood was held back out of fear that the church would be the government.

15 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Edited by JLHPROF
2 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

But only on the federal level. Some of the founders opposed them on the state level but it wasn’t until the early 19th century that state funds going to support churches ended for the last states. The last great church/state controversy was Utah where statehood was held back out of fear that the church would be the government.

Yes, it is instructive to note the ever so slow application of the Constitution to American life.  It took so long to remove legal slavery of Black people, and another century to remove illegal slavery.  Yet we are still afflicted by massive human trafficking.

10 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Churches can only be taxed when they are not churches.  You might want to work out the syllogism.

Churches in fact cease to be churches when they cease to function as such.  That is why churches may have profit-earning subsidiary businesses, which are in fact taxed.  The profit-making subsidiearies are not churches.  Tax lawyers advise on the niceties, which do not include by-gosh-and-by-golly reasoning.

That clarifies where you are coming from. It is a good thing we have the IRS and tax attorneys to tell us what aspects of churches are really churches and when! 

13 hours ago, webbles said:

I agree the report is excellent, I just don't see it as "transparent".  I can't use that report to figure out if the Billy Graham Evangelical Association is using their funds "wisely".

And, you are correct about the numbers.  I misread the report.

Big organizations are usually complicated and even the Board of Directors can struggle to understand what’s really going on.  

I’m just using that report as an example of what transparency, as I use the word, looks like.

3 hours ago, Analytics said:

Big organizations are usually complicated and even the Board of Directors can struggle to understand what’s really going on.  

I’m just using that report as an example of what transparency, as I use the word, looks like.

I just don't see the point of that transparency.  Take the fraud allegation that James Huntsman filed.  He is alleging that tithing money was used for commercial purposes (specifically, the City Creek mall and the Beneficial Life Insurance).  I don't see how a report like the one from Billy Graham Evangelistic Association would help James Huntsman.  Everything he is alleging would probably just show up under the "Investment return" line on page 4.

If the church released a report like that, how would that help James Huntsman?  How would it help others?

23 hours ago, Ahab said:

That doesn't matter.  All Church money and property belongs to all of the members, whether active or inactive or less active than some others as members.  And we even share it with others who are not members.  Generous, we are.  Truly, truly.

I like you Ahab.😀

On 3/26/2021 at 1:03 PM, teddyaware said:

As a matter of fact, I can absolutely guarantee to you that the day will come when the complainers will reverse course and start railing against the Church leaders for not preparing enough (!) when they knew darn well that persecutions, droughts, famines, pestilences, pandemics, natural disasters and armed conflicts galore were coming. I can hear it now, “What kind of prophets are these people to leave us in such a mess that all we have left to do is curse God and die?! What more proof do we need to know for certain that they are not real prophets of God?!”

No you cannot "absolutely guarantee to you that the day will come when the complainers will reverse course..."  Your beliefs are dimply faith based and some metaphysical experience that what you believe is true. THAT IS IT.  That is fine and well and feel free to live your live accordingly but you cannot guarantee diddly squat and it is the ultimate hubris and arrogance to think you can.  Of course that is epidemic in the very religious and the LDS people possess that bad attribute is excess.

On 3/26/2021 at 1:05 PM, smac97 said:

Do you see a difference between a large sum of money held by, say, Jeff Bezos and a separate sum of money held in trust by, say Russell M. Nelson?  If so, what differences do you see?

Do you see a difference between the revenues of Apple and the revenues of the Church?  If so, what differences do you see?

Thanks,

-Smac

Sure I see a difference in both. For the first it is one man who has amassed a fortune and in the case of Apple a for profit corp. In my mind it is less justifiable for Bezos than Apple. I like what Bill Gates is doing with his money. For Apple they may need the $$ to grow their business. It is mot likely that they will let is just sit idle.  Businesses just don't do that. I think the LDS Church could follow with their 100 plus billion.  Put it to work but let it grow as well. I really have no problem with a reasonable reserve for the LDS Church. We live in a modern worlds where money is important and the Church is a large entity that needs cash to take care of what it does. I guess we an debate all day long about how much should be kept in reserve.  Personally I think for a Church whose major source of operating income is donations they should have a healthy reserve. $20-$30 billion in liquid assets would seem more than sufficient assuming annual operating costs are around $6 billion. 

On 3/26/2021 at 1:13 PM, ttribe said:

And true believers in Scientology feel the same way.

And true believers in the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh feel the same way.

And true believers in Joel Osteen feel the same way.

What makes your belief any more valid?

Well see his true believing beliefs, are the one and only true believing beliefs. The others are simply sub par or downright deluded. 😆

37 minutes ago, Teancum said:

Sure I see a difference in both. For the first it is one man who has amassed a fortune and in the case of Apple a for profit corp. In my mind it is less justifiable for Bezos than Apple. I like what Bill Gates is doing with his money. For Apple they may need the $$ to grow their business. It is mot likely that they will let is just sit idle.  Businesses just don't do that. I think the LDS Church could follow with their 100 plus billion.  Put it to work but let it grow as well. I really have no problem with a reasonable reserve for the LDS Church. We live in a modern worlds where money is important and the Church is a large entity that needs cash to take care of what it does. I guess we an debate all day long about how much should be kept in reserve.  Personally I think for a Church whose major source of operating income is donations they should have a healthy reserve. $20-$30 billion in liquid assets would seem more than sufficient assuming annual operating costs are around $6 billion. 

For the first bold, isn't that what the church is doing?  It is investing the 100 billion which is putting it to work so that it can grow.

On 3/23/2021 at 10:02 PM, Analytics said:

I'd guess that about 45% of its income, including both tithing income and investment income/profit, goes towards its actual non-profit work.

You do a lot of guessing for an analytical person.

2 hours ago, Teancum said:

Well see his true believing beliefs, are the one and only true believing beliefs. The others are simply sub par or downright deluded. 😆

Hardly a gotcha. Anybody who believes anything which anybody else disagrees with must therefore maintain that belief on the assertion that the other person is not rightly perceiving reality, somehow. 

22 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

That would be a True Believer in the Church of Jesus Christ Latter-day Saints. Those other folks donate to their church is not my church. You donate to the one you believe in valid or not.

See ttribe... I was right!

2 hours ago, webbles said:

For the first bold, isn't that what the church is doing?  It is investing the 100 billion which is putting it to work so that it can grow.

No.  You are incorrect. The church is not investing squat of their stock pile of wealth in any work to help human kind. NOT ONE CENT. But some for the mall and an insurance company.

32 minutes ago, OGHoosier said:

Hardly a gotcha. Anybody who believes anything which anybody else disagrees with must therefore maintain that belief on the assertion that the other person is not rightly perceiving reality, somehow. 

Well sure, When you base your belief in faith and some esoteric "revelation."  But otherwise not so much.

22 hours ago, ttribe said:

One, I don't know what you mean by "you guys." Am I on some team I'm not aware of? Two, I've never donated tens of thousands of dollars to those organizations, so they're not my concern right now. I did, however, donate tens of thousands of dollars to the Church. 

Ok I'll rephrase. Do you put the same scrutiny to other charities that you donate to?  Do you expect to have a say where the money goes? Do you expect a refund if you don't like the way they spend it? If you give gifts of tens of thousands to your wife over the years and she then cheats on you, you then get a divorce, do you expect a refund?

3 hours ago, Teancum said:

No.  You are incorrect. The church is not investing squat of their stock pile of wealth in any work to help human kind. NOT ONE CENT. But some for the mall and an insurance company.

That makes no sense.  Are you seriously suggesting that the church has a massive money bin somewhere where they have all that money stock piled?  That would be a serious breach of trust if they did.  The money would loose value just by inflation alone.

5 hours ago, mgy401 said:

Sitting on his miserable padded keester surrounded by his daddy’s billions and trading on the family name to play-act as a Hollywood bigwig, that’s where—while Tom Monson, living on a roughly $150K stipend, saved thousands of jobs and supervised the distribution of thousands of man-hours and millions of dollars in food and humanitarian relief, to boot.

Reading this sentence was a cathartic experience. 

I agree that Huntsman's moral authority is nonexistent. 

12 hours ago, webbles said:

That makes no sense.  Are you seriously suggesting that the church has a massive money bin somewhere where they have all that money stock piled?  That would be a serious breach of trust if they did.  The money would loose value just by inflation alone.

It in stocks, bonds and do forth.  The record is clear. Ensign Peak has not spent any of its massive wealth on humanitarian efforts. It is just growing and growing. They did however move money to an insurance company and the SLC downtown mall.