Seriously No Politics ×

More details on Salt Lake Temple renovation released

The church released an update on the Salt Lake temple renovations.  Bullet points from the update are:

• Two more instruction rooms, additional sealing ordinance rooms, and a second baptistry are being added to allow for greater capacity and more temple ordinances.
  • Previously, the member experience in this temple included a progressive room-to-room presentation by live actors. When the temple reopens, this will transition to single-room presentations by film, available in more than 80 languages (previously presented only in English). This decision will also make it possible to hold more sessions each day. And finally, we hope it will help more members feel confident to serve as ordinance workers without the requirement for lengthy memorization.
  • The area that previously housed the temple cafeteria will now accommodate additional temple facilities to support the increased capacity of the temple. There will not be a cafeteria included when the temple reopens.

No more live actor sessions or room progression with murals.

Only movie version left.

😔

Edited by JLHPROF
8 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Only movie version left.

😔

Glad I went in the last few years. I can say it really happened. I remember riding in the elevator to the parking lot with Adam & Eve. 

7 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Only movie version left.

😔

Idaho Falls still does room progression even after our recent renovation. But it is not live presentation. I agree that it is sad. I wish I had known that. I would have made it down to attend a live presentation one last time before it closed. 

16 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Only movie version left.

😔

Manti is also loosing live actor and room progression as well, per the article.  I think those were the last two temples with live actor.

1 hour ago, kllindley said:

Idaho Falls still does room progression even after our recent renovation. But it is not live presentation. I agree that it is sad. I wish I had known that. I would have made it down to attend a live presentation one last time before it closed. 

There's still time to go to Manti I think...

1 hour ago, Maestrophil said:

It makes me sad to think they would get rid of the old murals.  I would vote to keep them for historicity.  😞

They may not leave the murals in the Temple, but I thought I remember reading that they will be preserved.

59 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

They may not leave the murals in the Temple, but I thought I remember reading that they will be preserved.

Per the FAQ at the end of the article:

Why couldn’t the murals be preserved?

As the First Presidency said in their statement: “The addition of new instruction rooms, a new method of presentation, seismic strengthening, and changes to meet accessibility requirements meant that the murals in the temple would need to be moved and/or repainted. It was impossible to know whether the murals could be preserved during such a move. They were originally painted directly on lath and plaster walls, which had been repaired and repainted many times because of water damage and other deterioration. Further, the change to a film presentation meant that the rooms would be reconfigured. For all these reasons, the murals were carefully photographed and documented before removal, and some of the original portions are being preserved in the Church’s archives.”

2 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

There's still time to go to Manti I think...

Manti is in phase 2 and is only open for living ordinances (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/temples/details/manti-utah-temple?lang=eng).  If it moves to phase 3 before its renovation, then only those within the temple district can schedule an appointment for an endowment.  I doubt it will make it to phase 4 (which is open to all) before its renovation.

4 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Only movie version left.

😔

😥

2 hours ago, Maestrophil said:

It makes me sad to think they would get rid of the old murals.  I would vote to keep them for historicity.  😞

Did it say that? Putting in a screen doesn't mean the murals have to go, does it?

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

LA was originally live with progression, then went to movie in three rooms (3 sessions at once) then movie with progression (2 sessions staggered)- this is how it was til 2020- BUT the murals were always there unchanged. No reason to eliminate them!

11 minutes ago, JustAnAustralian said:

I would have liked to have seen a live performance endowment just for the experience, but I'm not sure if I'd get anything more out of it than just watching the video.

Not really, but it is interesting to see Adam and Eve as octogenarians!

And one room had 2 levels so the actors actually "went down" and "returned" on visible stairways so they had to be spry enough to be able to physically climb and come down a couple of flights of stairs.

AND memorize the whole presentation

Both of those are big challenges for older folks.

Edited by mfbukowski
2 hours ago, JustAnAustralian said:

I would have liked to have seen a live performance endowment just for the experience, but I'm not sure if I'd get anything more out of it than just watching the video.

I would go to Manti and witness all those old, humble farmer/ranchers from the area take the roles in the endowment presentation. They weren't thespians by any standard, but their sincere efforts in both the presentation as well as what it demanded of them in terms of the incredible amount of memorization required always blessed my life with a powerful example of what it means to sacrifice and serve. Glad for that memory.

Edited by Derl Sanderson
claify
40 minutes ago, Derl Sanderson said:

I would go to Manti and witness all those old, humble farmer/ranchers from the area take the roles in the endowment presentation. They weren't thespians by any standard, but their sincere efforts in both the presentation as well as what it demanded of them in terms of the incredible amount of memorization required always blessed my life with a powerful example of what it means to sacrifice and serve. Glad for that memory.

You may have seen my father-in-law.

I am happy I was able to go through the live presentation endowment at the SLC temple. However, I was an ordinance worker here in Texas and I can’t imagine the extra pressure of “performing” in front of an “audience.” Plus, there was enough to memorize without that. 

4 hours ago, JustAnAustralian said:

In my experiences with both, I agree that I did not get more out of one presentation or the other, but I did get something different out of each presentation. Between both presentations, I think I got more out of the endowment than I would have got limited to exclusively one or the other.

I was still in my first decade when the Logan temple was renovated in the late '70s. I know there were many who did not appreciate the "gutting" of that temple. What is being described here sounds like more of a gutting than a remodel. It's rooted more in sentimentality than eternal truth, but there it is. I can appreciate the emphasis on uniformity and efficiency (more ordinances per day and/or more ordinances per temple worker) as well as the difficulties an exact restoration represents, but I think something sentimental will be lost with this kind of renovation. I should probably have a more eternal perspective -- recognizing that the ordinances have the same efficacy either way and efficiency has eternal value, but the sentimentality is still afraid of losing something.

3 hours ago, Calm said:

... I loved moving room to room up the staircase in Cardston.  Favorite temple for that and the design (more woods than golds).

image.jpeg.7291d61cf6daf30405b41c246e9612fb.jpeg

That's gorgeous.  i was climbing the staircase in Nauvoo when an ever-helpful Sister (bless her heart! :D) approached me and asked if the elevator wouldn't be more my speed or more to my liking.  I told her, "Thanks, but it's not every day that I get to climb a beautiful spiral staircase in the House of the Lord." :D

Edited by Kenngo1969