Jump to content

mental illness


Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, poptart said:

How many of you have seen those with mental issues see them amplified in older age? 

 

My ADD has gotten more difficult to deal with as I age. It is probably more about coping mechanisms breaking down though and not mental deterioration.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, poptart said:

How many of you have seen those with mental issues see them amplified in older age? 

 

I have seen deterioration and improvement, really dependent on what the issue is, if they are able to get the right treatment for it, if it is age dependent, if they have a support system. 

There is something I call crystallization that usually occurs late 70s and 80’s where the individual narrows down their world dramatically and becomes self centered (not selfish always, just sees the world in terms of how it relates to them).  It is like the mind gets frozen and loses the ability to grow and characteristics become stereotyped. Fluidity is lost...thus the rigid, brittle crystals. 
 

Change is not usually appreciated.  Example:  my inlaws couldn’t handle having a pepper and salt grinder on the table, wouldn’t even try them; had to buy shakers for them.  Offer to provide meals, just want their TV dinners they live off of.  
 

One of my grandmothers offered to help whenever I needed her when I was in college. I asked to borrow the car in a few days. She refused because she had an appointment. Thinking it was doctor related, I asked what for. She needed to go to Ream’s to grocery shop that day. I asked her if she went with someone, but it was simply the day she had chosen and having chosen it, she felt it was wrong to not do it then. When I suggested she go the day before or after since nothing was scheduled for those days, she acted like I was asking her to betray her covenants. It was very strange and my first exposure to what aging can do. 

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
13 hours ago, The Nehor said:

My ADD has gotten more difficult to deal with as I age. It is probably more about coping mechanisms breaking down though and not mental deterioration.

I'm looking at what I've had to go through, really starting to see, coping resources are finite, even the privileged have limits.

11 hours ago, Calm said:

I have seen deterioration and improvement, really dependent on what the issue is, if they are able to get the right treatment for it, if it is age dependent, if they have a support system. 

There is something I call crystallization that usually occurs late 70s and 80’s where the individual narrows down their world dramatically and becomes self centered (not selfish always, just sees the world in terms of how it relates to them).  It is like the mind gets frozen and loses the ability to grow and characteristics become stereotyped. Fluidity is lost...thus the rigid, brittle crystals. 
 

Change is not usually appreciated.  Example:  my inlaws couldn’t handle having a pepper and salt grinder on the table, wouldn’t even try them; had to buy shakers for them.  Offer to provide meals, just want their TV dinners they live off of.  
 

One of my grandmothers offered to help whenever I needed her when I was in college. I asked to borrow the car in a few days. She refused because she had an appointment. Thinking it was doctor related, I asked what for. She needed to go to Ream’s to grocery shop that day. I asked her if she went with someone, but it was simply the day she had chosen and having chosen it, she felt it was wrong to not do it then. When I suggested she go the day before or after since nothing was scheduled for those days, she acted like I was asking her to betray her covenants. It was very strange and my first exposure to what aging can do. 

To be fair, crystallized intelligence isn't all bad, provided what it's based off of is genuine wisdom.  Also, the elderly are a vulnerable population, considering how people are especially nowadays I praise it to an extent.  When I talk to older friends who tell me they didn't see this kind of anger even in the 60s and 70s, I listen.  One was a Vietnam vet and riot cop, he's seen it all.

Link to comment

I have a teen that was recently diagnosed with ADD.  While I'm sure that he has always struggled with it it wasn't until the last couple of years that he fell off the deep end a bit to the point where it was obvious something was very wrong and we took him to see a doctor and a therapist.

Thankfully he is on meds now and doing amazing.  In the matter of a few weeks almost everything in his life has turned around for the better.

I think that there are quite a few mental illnesses that don't show up until late teens or early adulthood.

Link to comment
On 3/11/2021 at 2:41 AM, The Nehor said:

My ADD has gotten more difficult to deal with as I age. It is probably more about coping mechanisms breaking down though and not mental deterioration.

Same here, and in my case it's the loss of the imposed structure of going to work each day, because I'm retired. My ADD has more latitude to "kick off", as it were. I've been considering going back to a medical (drug) solution. Because there are things I want to get done, and the condition isn't helping at all.

Link to comment
16 hours ago, bluebell said:

I have a teen that was recently diagnosed with ADD.  While I'm sure that he has always struggled with it it wasn't until the last couple of years that he fell off the deep end a bit to the point where it was obvious something was very wrong and we took him to see a doctor and a therapist.

Thankfully he is on meds now and doing amazing.  In the matter of a few weeks almost everything in his life has turned around for the better.

I think that there are quite a few mental illnesses that don't show up until late teens or early adulthood.

I'm curious what meds he's using? Asking because I'm considering going that route again...

One of my sons always seemed a bit standoffish with respect to others, and he seemed to have a hard time interpreting others' emotions. As he got into his 20s it became apparent that he was suffering from paranoid personality disorder, and it seemed to get worse the older he got. Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done with this problem, as the condition self-reinforces. 

Edited by Stargazer
Link to comment
On 3/11/2021 at 4:09 AM, Calm said:

There is something I call crystallization that usually occurs late 70s and 80’s where the individual narrows down their world dramatically and becomes self centered (not selfish always, just sees the world in terms of how it relates to them).  It is like the mind gets frozen and loses the ability to grow and characteristics become stereotyped. Fluidity is lost...thus the rigid, brittle crystals. 

Wow, I hope that doesn't happen to me. 

 

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Wow, I hope that doesn't happen to me. 

 

Make a habit of doing new things, and avoid doing the same thing over and over.  Too easy to get stuck on autopilot. I see those older people who use their brain to try new things with a variety of people seem to stay flexible in their thinking longer. 

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I'm curious what meds he's using? Asking because I'm considering going that route again...

One of my sons always seemed a bit standoffish with respect to others, and he seemed to have a hard time interpreting others' emotions. As he got into his 20s it became apparent that he was suffering from paranoid personality disorder, and it seemed to get worse the older he got. Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done with this problem, as the condition self-reinforces. 

He's on Concerta, which is basically just slow-release ritalin. He takes one pill in the morning (the lowest dose available) and it lasts for 12 hours. 

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Calm said:

Make a habit of doing new things, and avoid doing the same thing over and over.  Too easy to get stuck on autopilot. I see those older people who use their brain to try new things with a variety of people seem to stay flexible in their thinking longer. 

Oh, crap!  :(  I'm in trouble already! :D:rofl::D

Link to comment
On 3/11/2021 at 12:09 PM, bluebell said:

I have a teen that was recently diagnosed with ADD.  While I'm sure that he has always struggled with it it wasn't until the last couple of years that he fell off the deep end a bit to the point where it was obvious something was very wrong and we took him to see a doctor and a therapist.

Thankfully he is on meds now and doing amazing.  In the matter of a few weeks almost everything in his life has turned around for the better.

I think that there are quite a few mental illnesses that don't show up until late teens or early adulthood.

I hear from parents about how much harder things are now compared to a generation or two ago.  What really sticks out for me is how some areas are so resource poor and how much worse mental health and substance abuse is.  One thing that really upsets me about how health care here varies from place to place is how so many in this country treat healthcare like a commodity, feel nothing for the economically disadvantaged, vote accordingly then wonder why they're having to fight with transplants for local resources that keep getting more expensive and hard to get.   Kids with issues like that I feel for, I knew many and left untreated that stuff gets bad with age.  Whenever I see homeless camps I wonder how many of them came from. Poor families that cared nothing for the mental issues they likely have.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, poptart said:

hear from parents about how much harder things are now compared to a generation or two ago. 

But there is also more info and treatments out there.  They didn't even know my disorder existed when I was in elementary school.  We learned what it was when my daughter was in grade 4 and at least I could explain to her teacher why she might need to get up and walk around at the back of class on occasion.  Kids with my disorder tended to get misdiagnoses as ADD because sleep deprivation wires kids.

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Calm said:

But there is also more info and treatments out there.  They didn't even know my disorder existed when I was in elementary school.  We learned what it was when my daughter was in grade 4 and at least I could explain to her teacher why she might need to get up and walk around at the back of class on occasion.  Kids with my disorder tended to get misdiagnoses as ADD because sleep deprivation wires kids.

Here's the thing, if you lack the financial resources and family stability I'm guessing a lot of you here have it really doesn't matter as much, life's gonna suck.  Income inequality and privilege plus the attitude people here have towards the less fortunate is so disgusting.  
Then again, i'm not a parent.

Link to comment
On 3/12/2021 at 5:26 AM, Stargazer said:

Same here, and in my case it's the loss of the imposed structure of going to work each day, because I'm retired. My ADD has more latitude to "kick off", as it were. I've been considering going back to a medical (drug) solution. Because there are things I want to get done, and the condition isn't helping at all.

Adderall or its equivalents might help. It lets me focus more (sometimes). The first month or two on it is magical and then it is just helps but it doesn’t fix anything by itself. It is just a tool.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post this...in the KUTV 2 news link it showed the manual that LDS Addiction Recovery uses, the same book my alcoholic brother used the first time I drove him to one of their meetings.  It was a great meeting, but sadly I couldn't get him to go anymore. He's pretty much Atheist. I saw this book shown often throughout the news show. And they say that medical cannabis is helping those addicted to harder drugs such as heroin. I'm so glad to know it's helping. https://kutv.com/news/addicted-utah/sober-living-home-likely-first-in-utah-to-use-medical-cannabis-to-aid-addiction-recovery

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...