"Y" on Mountain Above BYU Lit Up with Rainbow Colors

2 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

We could fly a bunch of planes over those countries and release a bunch of rainbow colored glitterūüėĀ

Some would scream and shout for joy while others ranted about all of that pollution.

You can never please everybody at any time.

16 hours ago, Ahab said:

Some would scream and shout for joy while others ranted about all of that pollution.

You can never please everybody at any time.

I would scream and rant about the pollution. Both kinds. Glitter is the herpes of the craft world because it never cleans up or goes away. Then there is the airplane pollution but that is not as bad as glitter. Glitter is evil.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

There are two kinds of respect in play in this dynamic and too often the two forms are conflated to confuse the issue. There is the basic human dignity that should be given to everyone and having to request or earn it is abhorrent.

I can go along with that.  Let's start with a presumption that everyone deserves "basic human dignity."

The loss of a forum for public speaking is also routinely overblown:

What about the loss of a job?  Reputation?  Relationships?

The real obstacles on the path to social change are not the out and out bigots who, while they exist, are almost never the majority. It is the complicit reasonable people who kind of sort of agree but with reservations and who will mouth niceties and agree something should be done but only in a reasoned and careful and slow way while hoping nothing actually happens.

"Complicit reasonable people?"  What does that mean?

I saw it most clearly with attempts by others to reform the CPS system and get it funded well enough. Everyone agrees that it is a problem and that if anyone deserves our compassion and even financial support it is kids who are (temporarily or permanently) orphans but while people will state this with fervor very few actually care enough to do anything.

I'm not sure what you are referencing here.  

Thanks,

-Smac

• Upvote 1
On 3/8/2021 at 7:41 AM, HappyJackWagon said:

Just to be clear, you're mentioning hmsxual "behavior" that does not break the law of chastity. We're talking about holding hands, kissing etc. So, yes, BYU handled it terribly last year and IMO they didn't seem to learn much as they handled this poorly too.

The only problem in understanding their position is the double meaning of the Law of Chastity. There is one version for hetero and a different version for Homo. That's the confusion. Fixing the inconsistency would be the best way to end the confusion.

I think the confusion WAS fixed last year with a definitive clarification from the General Authority level that any alteration in the honor code should not be taken to mean that public displays of romantic affection between persons of the same sex, never tolerated on campus or in the Church before, were now acceptable. 

I agree the matter last year was handled poorly in the early stages. Written direction was ambiguous, false assumptions stemming from wishful thinking were made and allowed to persist, faulty information and analysis were given out by certain of the faculty and staff, and the whole matter was allowed to fester for too long before the clarifying statement was forthcoming. Once it did come forth, it was more painful for some than it might have been had the clarification been issued more promptly. This understandably resulted in hurt feelings and considerable rancor. 

But now that it has been issued, there is no good reason to dredge it up and thereby reopen old wounds or purvey the false hope that there is any realistic chance the Church will change its position. 

So if there is to be a day set aside to show love and respect for lgbtq persons, let it be simply that and not devolve into rancor, activism or pressure tactics against the university administration or its sponsoring church. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1

The Y has been rainbowed-ed again!¬†ūü•į

RainbowOnY.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Meadowchik said:

RainbowOnY.JPG

When I was in the MTC, I got a picture of a rainbow stretching from the Provo Temple to the Y. 

On 3/17/2021 at 10:19 AM, Meadowchik said:

RainbowOnY.JPG

When was this? Awesome photo!! 

4 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

When was this? Awesome photo!! 

On the 15th or 16th, if I remember correctly :D

On 3/17/2021 at 10:19 AM, Meadowchik said:

RainbowOnY.JPG

I suspect there is Photoshopping at play here. Which would make it far less remarkable. As in not remarkable at all. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd

If there is a rainbow, it is not unusual for it to be in front of the mountains down here in Utah Valley, so being in front of the Y doesn’t bother me. But the angle feels off somehow. Though it could be the time of year and the sun being more north than when I usually see them.  That it is a complete bow and the darkness above vs below also made me wonder if photoshopped myself. 

5 hours ago, Calm said:

If there is a rainbow, it is not unusual for it to be in front of the mountains down here in Utah Valley, so being in front of the Y doesn’t bother me. But the angle feels off somehow. Though it could be the time of year and the sun being more north than when I usually see them.  That it is a complete bow and the darkness above vs below also made me wonder if photoshopped myself. 

I had to compress the file and then crop to meet the file size requirements, but as far as I know it is genuine. 

I saw the photo two separate ways in my FB timeline, via two public posts. In one, two different people say they saw the rainbow themselves: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1927554397394390&id=100004195440885&anchor_composer=false&ref=content_filter

In the earliest, the author gives photo attribution to his friend: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10106508500335129&id=17803073&ref=content_filter

By the way, the weather history for March 16th shows sunny/cloudy during the day, which seems consistent with the photo.

• Upvote 1

I took a picture of the same rainbow on the same day with Y mountain in the background from SW Provo (though the Y itself was hidden behind a bunch of trees. It seems possible to me that, from campus, the rainbow may have easily appeared to be between the observer and the Y.

• Upvote 3

Sounds like the angle is just due to the winter sun. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, MrShorty said:

I took a picture of the same rainbow on the same day with Y mountain in the background from SW Provo (though the Y itself was hidden behind a bunch of trees. It seems possible to me that, from campus, the rainbow may have easily appeared to be between the observer and the Y.

It's a sign. ;)

15 hours ago, Vellichor said:

Speaking of rainbows, this article seems relevant: https://latterdaysaintmag.com/restoring-the-meaning-of-the-rainbow/

Thanks. Unfortunately, I think it misses an opportunity with this:

All this good news is central to the meaning God gave the rainbow‚ÄĒquite a contrast from the meaning others have given it today, and with quite a different genesis (pardon the pun).¬† It‚Äôs true that some see the ancient and modern symbolism as overlapping in complementary ways.¬† We do not. We see these meanings as fundamentally conflicting‚ÄĒwith a symbol anciently connected explicitly with God‚Äôs covenant, now central to a movement that ultimately, almost inevitably, leaves people estranged from the covenant path.¬†

What is more consistent with the prevailing message of Jesus Christ? I would think that among those many possibilities, expressing love and support for those who have been cast aside historically IS one. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 3/20/2021 at 12:05 PM, Vellichor said:

Speaking of rainbows, this article seems relevant: https://latterdaysaintmag.com/restoring-the-meaning-of-the-rainbow/

A weird take. The rainbow as a symbol of ‚ÄúI promise not to wipe you out again....at least with water‚ÄĚ is a poignant symbol of God‚Äôs faithfulness. I can accept the story of the rainbow but it is harder for me to see it as some beautiful symbol of that promise because the promise is kind of ‚Äúmeh‚ÄĚ. Contrasting it with the real fractures amongst the ‚ÄúRainbow Coalition‚ÄĚ is also weird. The flood¬†the rainbow is referencing is an incredibly stark divide in humanity.

I can accept the Flood as necessary but calling it beautiful or the promise to not do it again as deeply reassuring confuses me. In many ways it seems like it is among the least impressive of God’s promises.

• Upvote 1
On 3/20/2021 at 7:39 AM, Tacenda said:

It's a sign. ;)

From God no less. ¬† ¬†ūü§®

On 3/20/2021 at 6:48 AM, MrShorty said:

so from that direction I would say that signified:  no more global flood, Y?

From the opposite direction it would signify:  Y no more global flood?

the answer is because fire will be used to cleanse the planet the next time God wants to cleanse the planet