Seriously No Politics ×

"Y" on Mountain Above BYU Lit Up with Rainbow Colors

From the Daily Universe:

Students, faculty and alumni across the BYU campus wore rainbow makeup, shirts, hats, scarfs, bandanas, skirts, masks and more on March 4 for Rainbow Day in support of the LGBT community.

Rainbow Day is an event put on by Color the Campus, an organization founded by BYU student Bradley Talbot in 2019.

According to the Color the Campus Instagram, this event is to “show love and support for LGBTQ+ students and faculty at all CES schools.”

“Some people think of this as a protest, but it is not. It is just a day to wear rainbow around the campus and to pass out different little rainbow things to show our support for queer students on campus,” student Madi Hawes said.
A year ago on March 4, 2020, a letter from the Church Education System clarified previous changes in the Honor Code to say homosexual actions are still against the Honor Code.

“This Rainbow Day is especially important because it’s on the one year anniversary of the Honor Code changing back after the letter from CES,” Hawes said.

Rainbow Day participants gathered in Brigham Square outside the Wilkinson Student Center. They passed out rainbow stickers, bracelets, pins, temporary tattoos and masks.

Ah.  That must be it.

I'm curious if the administration at BYU are on board with lighting the Y with the rainbow colors, or if this was a student-led sort of thing.

Throughout the day the crowd varied in size with about 45 people at its peak. Hawes and a BYU official kept everyone socially distanced to ensure the gathering was safe and would not get shut down.

At 1 p.m. a counter-protest occurred where a group of individuals dressed in BYU gear and holding umbrellas read “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” on the opposite side of the quad. Promoters of the counter-protest are part of a culture clash within the BYU community over how LGBT issues are being promoted.

The link above is to a story from March 2 announcing the "counter-protest."  From that link:

Controversial flyers were posted around campus on Tuesday suggesting a counter-protest planned for Thursday when LGBT support movement Color the Campus plans to celebrate “Rainbow Day.”

But BYU made it clear that university officials were taking the signs down. “The flyers were not approved and since have been and will be taken down,” said university spokesperson Carri Jenkins.

The flyer depicts a raining cloud with rainbow-colored raindrops and “Has the raYnbow got you seeking shelter from the storm?” written over it. Underneath, there’s what appears to be a family holding up an umbrella with “FamProc” written on it.

“On March 4th, LGBT activists are protesting church teachings on BYU campus,” it reads. “Instead, faithful members will show their support for the Family Proclamation by wearing BYU swag and carrying or wearing an umbrella. Join us.”

It is unclear what exact group or individuals planned the protest, but it appears to be in connection with #DezNat on Twitter. DezNat stands for Deseret Nation. Those who use the hashtag often defend The Family Proclamation, sometimes criticizing BYU.

Hmm.

Thanks,

-Smac

2 minutes ago, Ipod Touch said:

It is merely a sign that the Lord will not destroy Provo by flood.

Nah.....

🎵🎵🎵

"Our Primary colors are one, two, three—

Red, yellow, and blue.

Each one has a message for you and me.

Each is a symbol true!

Red is for courage to do what is right,

Yellow for service from morning till night.

Blue is for truth in our thought and our deed.

We will be happy when this is our creed."    🎵🎵🎵

28 minutes ago, smac97 said:

From the Daily Universe:

Students, faculty and alumni across the BYU campus wore rainbow makeup, shirts, hats, scarfs, bandanas, skirts, masks and more on March 4 for Rainbow Day in support of the LGBT community.

Hmmm... weren't we just discussing this on another thread?  Would never have happened even 20 years ago.  Imagine 20 years from now.

Edited by JLHPROF

And why exactly did they have to do this on my birthday?  I turn 60 and then this happens.  Is somebody trying to tell me something?

edited to add: Oh, I think I get it now.  "Y" is short for Why? in this whacky world of abbreviations we now live in.

Edited by Ahab
7 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

"Their names are kept private so they can be safe."

"Safe" seems to be code for "so they don't get in trouble for trespassing."  It's not like their actual safety was at risk.

And boy, it does get tiresome to have this issue come down to a "You are either our ally or you are a bigot and hater" type of attitude.  See, e.g., here:

In February 2020, BYU deleted the words "homosexual behavior" from the school’s honor code. And on March 4 2020, leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a statement clarifying that any "same-sex romance" was still a violation of the honor code. Bradley Talbot, one of the organizers of "Color the Campus," told 2News LGBTQ+ student still feel confusion and hurt from the statement.

A "Color The Campus" YouTube page aired a livestream of the rainbow Y on Thursday night.

The Color the Campus account on Twitter also shared a photo of the Y with the caption "RISE AND SHOUT THE COUGARS ARE OUT!"

A thread of tweets accompanying the photo explained that,

This is our symbol of love and unity with @BYU. The Cougars are Out. We stand with both. It's not black and white, it's Rainbow. I choose both. The world is our campus. I invite @BYu to choose to be our advocate and not our obstacle. It won't stop us either way. Hate is loud. We are louder."

Color the Campus responded to BYU on Twitter, asking the university's board of trustees to meet with LGBTQ+ students "so they understand the effects their actions have on some of most (sic) marginalized & victimized students at CES (Church Education System) schools."

"Hate is loud."  Lovely stuff.

Meanwhile, the Daily Universe  seemed to be going out of its way to vilify the counter-protesters.  See here:

At 1 p.m. a counter-protest occurred where a group of individuals dressed in BYU gear and holding umbrellas read “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” on the opposite side of the quad. Promoters of the counter-protest are part of a culture clash within the BYU community over how LGBT issues are being promoted.

One lady, dressed in all black and holding a black umbrella, stood near the quad for over five hours.

“I’m here to show my support of The Family Proclamation,” Katherine said. She would not give the Daily Universe her last name.

“(We’re) holding an umbrella to show that support that we are safe under the shield of Christ and the teachings the Church has given us as well as the foundation of all scripture,” she said.

No one else holding an umbrella was willing to talk to The Daily Universe. “I think the Family Proclamation says everything we need to say,” Katherine said.

When asked if she and the other umbrella participants were students or connected to BYU, Katherine hesitated before saying, “Yeah. I’ve seen some alumni too.”

And here:

Controversial flyers were posted around campus on Tuesday suggesting a counter-protest planned for Thursday when LGBT support movement Color the Campus plans to celebrate “Rainbow Day.”
BYU alumna Suzie Pilkington tweeted a photo of the flyer, which is now deleted. Her friend Jonathan Whitmore, a gay BYU senior, sent her the photo after he saw the flyers on campus. She said she was disheartened and sad to see it.

Along with the photo Pilkington wrote, “For all my BYU baddies who have seen this flyer today, please please know there is a place for you and you are loved. This flyer only represents the dumb close-minded few who don’t understand.”
She later removed the Tweet and posted a “Rainbow Day” advertisement instead. “I took it down because I didn’t want to give them the satisfaction,” she said. “We don’t need to focus on that flyer and the people associated with it.”

From what she’s seen, Pilkington described DezNat as a small group of radicalists who are “pretty hateful.”
Many of the critical tweets in response to BYU’s decision to remove the flyers were from people online who use the hashtag #DezNat. One in particular from Twitter user @Matthew_7_14 said, “We are taking BYU back.” He declined to do an interview with The Daily Universe, telling the reporter, “I don’t speak to journalists.”

Another user @yagirlstacy_ wrote, “Someone tell @Ch_JesusChrist that their school doesn’t support the teachings of The Church.”

@NotYourBishop tweeted, “I’m not saying that I would burn #BYU to the ground, but what I am saying is that if it caught on fire and I had a fleet of fire trucks right next to the university, I would pretend that we were out of water.”

That last tweet was plainly out of bounds and inappropriate.  But then, Pilkington publicly characterizing people who have different opinions as "the dumb close-minded few" and "Color the Campus" accusing anyone who disagrees with them of "hate" also seems out of bounds.

I would like to see more civility and mutual respect in these things.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I will get on board anytime a group of students is willing to sacrifice to show love for others.

I wish BYU would take opportunities to focus on the people that need to be loved sometimes rather than the problem that needs to be solved.  They could have said something like "While we don't agree with homosexual behavior and did not sanction the rainbow lights, we want our lgbtq students to feel loved and supported on our campus and understand the good intentions of the people involved.  Hopefully next time they will come to us first. to get permission."

Tact is a wonderful skill that I am still trying to perfect.

7 minutes ago, smac97 said:

"Their names are kept private so they can be safe."

"Safe" seems to be code for "so they don't get in trouble for trespassing."  It's not like their actual safety was at risk.

And boy, it does get tiresome to have this issue come down to a "You are either our ally or you are a bigot and hater" type of attitude.  See, e.g., here:

"Hate is loud."  Lovely stuff.

Meanwhile, the Daily Universe  seemed to be going out of its way to vilify the counter-protesters.  See here:

And here:

That last tweet was plainly out of bounds and inappropriate.  But then, Pilkington publicly characterizing people who have different opinions as "the dumb close-minded few" and "Color the Campus" accusing anyone who disagrees with them of "hate" also seems out of bounds.

I would like to see more civility and mutual respect in these things.

Thanks,

-Smac

I would assume they mean safe from church or school discipline.

38 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Safe" seems to be code for "so they don't get in trouble for trespassing."  It's not like their actual safety was at risk.

Were they trespassing?  I thought the trail had to be kept open to the public. 

https://news.byu.edu/news/byu-announces-final-purchase-and-acquisition-y-mountain-trail-land

BYU’s ownership of the land will not change access to the Y or the Y Mountain Trail, but it will allow for a series of major trail improvements beginning this spring

Edited by Calm
15 minutes ago, Calm said:

Were they trespassing?  I thought the trail had to be kept open to the public. 

Apparently so.  From KUTV:

"BYU did not authorize the lighting of the Y tonight," the school wrote on Twitter. (UPDATE: BYU has since added that, "The Y is BYU property and any form of public expression on university property requires prior approval.")

When a property owner gives a person permission to go on its property, that permission is constrained.  I have permission to go into Wal-Mart, but only during business hours.  And I can't break the door down to get in.  And after I get in I can't set up a stand to sell my son's freeze-dried skittles.  Nor can I light up a cigar.  Nor can I go in there and loudly proclaim my political opinions.  Nor can I endlessly loiter in the parking lot.  And so on.

What I can do is go into the store, behave in an orderly fashion, look for and purchase products, and then leave.  

Most of the time actual or formal permission is not given, but is instead implied.  This permission is called "license."  See here:

License, in property law, permission to enter or use the property of another. There are three categories of license: bare licenses, contractual licenses, and licenses coupled with an interest. A bare license occurs when a person enters or uses the property of another with the express or implied permission of the owner or under circumstances that would provide a good defense against an action for trespass. For example, a person entering a gas station to ask for directions is a licensee and not a trespasser. Contractual license provides an express or implied permission to enter or use the property in exchange for some consideration. For example, the purchase of a movie ticket allows the ticket holder a license to enter the theatre at a particular time. ...

Bare licenses generally are not assignable (transferable) and are revocable at will by the property owner. ...

And here:

Even a person who is lawfully on the property can commit a trespass by exceeding the scope of her license or privilege to be on the property. Here are some examples:

• An easement holder uses the property beyond the scope of her easement by overburdening the servient estate, benefitting nondominant land, going outside the boundaries of her easement, and so on.

• A licensee exceeds the scope of her license. For example, a real estate agent uses a house listed for sale for a weekend getaway.

• A person enters in a governmental capacity and exceeds the scope of his authority, such as a law enforcement officer who enters a property lawfully but then steals something from the premises.

• A person enters lawfully but leaves something on the property and doesn’t remove it within a reasonable time.

In the context of the Y, it "is BYU property."  BYU generally provides the public with free access.  But that access is not unlimited.  Visitors can "exceed the scope" of the license given by BYU, such as by using the Y for "public expression."  And if visitors exceed the scope of the license, they have committed a trespass.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
22 minutes ago, Meadowchik said:

I would assume they mean safe from church or school discipline.

Ah.  So "safe" means "breaking the rules and getting away with it."

Not that big a deal, really.  

Thanks,

-Smac

2 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Thanks,

-Smac

or be safe from physical violence from heaven knows who finds out their names, you just don't know who is out there

12 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Thanks,

-Smac

Yup, breaking the rules in a "not a big deal" way for a good cause.