Seriously No Politics ×

Mormon Boy

If you've read any of my post you'll realize I am having a tough time giving up the word Mormon. I love it, it's part of who I am. So my question is, especially for the women, do you find this song appropriate or does it make you cringe? Personally I love it🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Could youth sing this song today?

https://youtu.be/

https://youtu.be/

20210304_143846.jpg

Edited by AtlanticMike

All my years of being LDS, I only heard of that song when it was mentioned by Pres. Hinckley during his conference talk. And then ever since Pres. Nelson wanted us to use the whole name of the church instead of Mormon it's popped up in conversation. It must not have been a thing in my days of attending church such as sing it in church or hearing it sung.

No worries, I believe it's been given a pass to call ourselves Mormon, to difficult in regular conversation to say the whole name each time.

I’m wondering why you’re having trouble giving it up when the direction from the president of the Church and the reasoning behind it has been very clear and unequivocal. 

Also, what do you think being a woman would have to do with a preference for the song?

4 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

If you've read any of my post you'll realize I am having a tough time giving up the word Mormon. I love it, it's part of who I am. So my question is, especially for the women, do you find this song appropriate or does it make you cringe?

It's a silly song and I like to sing silly songs sometimes.

Question for you now:  Do you call yourself "a Mormon" or "Mormon"?  Like, for example, do you say "Hi, I'm AtlanticMike and I'm a Mormon" or do you instead say "Hi, I'm AtlanticMike and I'm Mormon" 

I don't consider myself to be Mormon or a Mormon because I'm not a person whose name is Mormon and I'm not sure what being a Mormon is supposed to mean, but if by that term someone is asking if I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, then I would of course just say yes.

23 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I’m wondering why you’re having trouble giving it up when the direction from the president of the Church and the reasoning behind it has been very clear and unequivocal. 

Also, what do you think being a woman would have to do with a preference for the song?

Clearly there must be something wrong with him. He's probably unworthy ;) 

5 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

All of my friends and co-workers know that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but in casual conversation with them and others I still refer to members of the church as Mormons. 

I don't have a problem referring to the church by its official name - that's never been a problem though.

It's what to call the members the church that is the sticking point. 

Most other religions have easy to use naming conventions for their adhearants: Jews, Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, Episcopalians, Muslims, Anglicans, Mennonites, Buddhists, Adventists, Unitarians, etc.

Heck, even the sacrilegious Pastafarians have got an easier name to swallow than "member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Plus, Mormon carries a lot of brand recognition. From the old Homefront ads which were brought to you by "the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...the Mormons," to the more recent "I'm a Mormon" media blitz. Like it or not, that's how a lot of people recognize us.

And while I'm happy to expand their understanding, at the end of the day I'm a bit of a pragmatist when it comes to communication. So, if someone asks if I'm a Mormon, well, I don't have a problem with answering them just as Joseph F. Smith did and say, "Yes siree; dyed in the wool; true blue, through and through." ;)

5 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

So my question is, [...], do you find this song appropriate or does it make you cringe?

I find both songs a bit cringeworthy, though not for their use of the word "Mormon." 

That being said, the first one isn't how they sing the song down here. I believe the true and correct lyrics are as follows:

Wiener, wiener, wiener, wiener,
wiener, wiener, wiener, wiener, 
I know a wiener man.
He owns a wiener stand.
He sells most everything from hot dogs on down.
One day I'll change his life,
I'll be his wienie wife.
Hot-dog, I love that wiener man!

(You're welcome.)

Edited by Amulek
11 minutes ago, Amulek said:

I find both songs a bit cringeworthy, though not for their use of the word "Mormon." 

That being said, the first one isn't how they sing the song down here. I believe the true and correct lyrics are as follows:

I know a wiener man.
He owns a wiener stand.
I'll be his wienie wife.

(You're welcome.)

Also "So very queer I feel"  doesn't quite fit in given today's more common usage of the word. 

17 minutes ago, Amulek said:

I know a wiener man.
He owns a wiener stand.
I'll be his wienie wife.

(You're welcome.)

I'm using that😁

19 minutes ago, Amulek said:

I know a wiener man.
He owns a wiener stand.
I'll be his wienie wife.

(You're welcome.)

Love! My daughter would sing this and I think she learned it at a girl's camp.

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I'm wondering why you’re having trouble giving it up when the direction from the president of the Church and the reasoning behind it has been very clear and unequivocal. 

I'm wondering the same thing Scott. Honestly, it should be a minor issue, but it's not for me, I feel like "mormon" is part of my identity. I've watched pres. Nelson's talk 20 times and can not understand why he would say stop using the word. He said using the word mormon would offend God. He also said using the phrase the " mormon church" is a major victory for satan, I can't get past that, it doesn't make since to me. 

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

It's a silly song and I like to sing silly songs sometimes.

Question for you now:  Do you call yourself "a Mormon" or "Mormon"?  Like, for example, do you say "Hi, I'm AtlanticMike and I'm a Mormon" or do you instead say "Hi, I'm AtlanticMike and I'm Mormon" 

I don't consider myself to be Mormon or a Mormon because I'm not a person whose name is Mormon and I'm not sure what being a Mormon is supposed to mean, but if by that term someone is asking if I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, then I would of course just say yes.

Like this

20210304_133519.jpg

4 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

I'm wondering the same thing Scott. Honestly, it should be a minor issue, but it's not for me, I feel like "mormon" is part of my identity. I've watched pres. Nelson's talk 20 times and can not understand why he would say stop using the word. He said using the word mormon would offend God. He also said using the phrase the " mormon church" is a major victory for satan, I can't get past that, it doesn't make since to me. 

I think Pres Nelson is right about using the correct name. The problem is the name is so long for purposes of conversation. Maybe we could say TCOJCOLDS?  No that's too long too. 🤔

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

All my years of being LDS, I only heard of that song when it was mentioned by Pres. Hinckley during his conference talk. And then ever since Pres. Nelson wanted us to use the whole name of the church instead of Mormon it's popped up in conversation. It must not have been a thing in my days of attending church such as sing it in church or hearing it sung.

No worries, I believe it's been given a pass to call ourselves Mormon, to difficult in regular conversation to say the whole name each time.

Yep

You're giving me PTSD about my years at girls camp (I was among the week-long men contingent each of the 8 years I was a bishop)! My wife had never heard of the "I love a Mormon boy, he is my pride and joy . . ." camp song, but it's big in Arizona. 

I'm not introverted, but man, the men at girls camp have a spotlight/target on them, and have to do all sorts of zany and goofy things when it comes to dances, skits, and songs. The first exposure to camp felt a lot to me like the "don't forget your goat-leggings" scene from Dragnet:

Introvert girls, and new leaders alike are horrified by the spectacle of the whole group stuff, with the songs, dances, cheers, etc. Like Tom Hanks dancing in his goat leggings, you just have to swallow all of your pride and dignity and do as the Romans when in Rome. 

1 hour ago, AtlanticMike said:

Like this

20210304_133519.jpg

When calling yourself a Mormon are you simply trying to identify yourself as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?  Or do you mean something extra, something other than that?  

32 minutes ago, Ahab said:

When calling yourself a Mormon are you simply trying to identify yourself as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?  Or do you mean something extra, something other than that?  

When you ask "or do you mean something extra" are you talking about this⬇️🤣⬇️🤣⬇️🤣⬇️🤣⬇️

20210304_155505.jpg

Edited by AtlanticMike
42 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

When you ask "or do you mean something extra" are you talking about this⬇️🤣⬇️🤣⬇️🤣⬇️🤣⬇️

20210304_155505.jpg

I think that qualifies as one of the things that is something extra, but something extra to just being a member of the Church could be any kind of thing that is something extra.

We could probably come up with a term to refer to each kind of thing that is something extra in addition to being a member of the Church.  Even a thing like that.

3 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

I've watched pres. Nelson's talk 20 times and can not understand why he would say stop using the word. He said using the word mormon would offend God.

He didn't say stop using it though. He said specific things about when its use is and isn't correct.

He also said using the phrase the " mormon church" is a major victory for satan, I can't get past that, it doesn't make since to me. 

He said removing Christ's name from Christ's church is a victory for satan.

4 hours ago, Amulek said:

All of my friends and co-workers know that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but in casual conversation with them and others I still refer to members of the church as Mormons. 

I don't have a problem referring to the church by its official name - that's never been a problem though.

It's what to call the members the church that is the sticking point. 

Most other religions have easy to use naming conventions for their adhearants: Jews, Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, Episcopalians, Muslims, Anglicans, Mennonites, Buddhists, Adventists, Unitarians, etc.

Heck, even the sacrilegious Pastafarians have got an easier name to swallow than "member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Plus, Mormon carries a lot of brand recognition. From the old Homefront ads which were brought to you by "the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...the Mormons," to the more recent "I'm a Mormon" media blitz. Like it or not, that's how a lot of people recognize us.

And while I'm happy to expand their understanding, at the end of the day I'm a bit of a pragmatist when it comes to communication. So, if someone asks if I'm a Mormon, well, I don't have a problem with answering them just as Joseph F. Smith did and say, "Yes siree; dyed in the wool; true blue, through and through." ;)

As I understand President Nelson’s guidelines, it’s OK to refer to Church members, oneself included, as Latter-day Saints (without abbreviating). You can do that in casual conversation without correcting anyone. 

Historically, Latter-day Saints have been asked to do hard things in following what they deemed prophetic direction, even when they didn’t fully understand them. By comparison, this seems like a little one. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd

3 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

20 minutes ago, JustAnAustralian said:

He didn't say stop using it though. He said specific things about when its use is and isn't correct.

He said removing Christ's name from Christ's church is a victory for satan.

JustAnAustralian’s point cannot be emphasized strongly enough. It is not in using the name “Mormon” but in using it or anything else as a substitute for the name of Christ in the name of His Church that we fall into Satan’s trap and hand the victory to Satan.

I thought President Nelson was very clear in making that point and wonder why it has been been misunderstood or misstated so often since. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
5 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

I actually sang 'A Mormon Boy' as a solo in Sunday School back in the earlier 70s! It's a beautiful song and wonderful to hear our former prophet sing it. : ) I have fond memories of that era and being called 'Mormon'. Nonetheless, I'm ok with the emphasis on identifying the church as we now do. I haven't any problem with saying "I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. You know, what used to be called the 'Mormon Church'". ; )

5 hours ago, JAHS said:

I think Pres Nelson is right about using the correct name. The problem is the name is so long for purposes of conversation. Maybe we could say TCOJCOLDS?  No that's too long too. 🤔

Abbreviations are frowned upon as well. 

Why not just do what is asked and say “the Church of Jesus Christ” as a shortened form when you need one?