Seriously No Politics ×

Perseverance Has Landed!

Stargazer

4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Arthur C. Clarke wrote about this kind of thing already: Rendezvous with Rama

Ummm, I'd be interested to see evidence that it changed course and speed as a result of anything other than gravitational influence. Any object entering the solar system is going to change course and speed in response to the gravity of the sun and the planets, along with any other influences, such as outgassing due to solar heating. One would have to demonstrate that the change was counter to the expected influences in order to be able to claim that the object was an artifact under some form of guidance.

He demonstrates the change in speed and course were greater than expected by the gravity of the sun. Also there is only a 9% chance that Oumuamua was shaped like a cigar shaped rock and a 91% chance it was shaped like a disc. Also its reflective properties were more like a shiny metal than stone. 

You really should read the book.

P.S I have read everything Arthur C Clarke wrote.

Edited by rodheadlee
5 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

He demonstrates the change in speed and course were greater than expected by the gravity of the sun. Also there is only a 9% chance that Oumuamua was shaped like a cigar shaped rock and a 91% chance it was shaped like a disc. Also its reflective properties were more like a shiny metal than stone. 

Well, aside from any doubt as to the actual reliability of the characteristics of the thing, there is the natural institutional inertia of science and scientists regarding anything so very far out of the accepted norms. Incremental advances are always welcomed, even if reluctantly and under protest, but true paradigm shifts are usually met with implacable and sometimes hostile resistance. And there is also the likelihood that IF this object is a true artifact of extraterrestrial origin, the military may very well know something and be keeping it strictly classified. And even be actively trying to discredit anyone who tries to convince anyone otherwise.

You really should read the book.

If I get time.

I confess I have not, though I've read most of it. Personally, I found Rendezvous with Rama to be rather boring, and I'm not sure I ever finished it. I never read any of the sequels.

12 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Well, aside from any doubt as to the actual reliability of the characteristics of the thing, there is the natural institutional inertia of science and scientists regarding anything so very far out of the accepted norms. Incremental advances are always welcomed, even if reluctantly and under protest, but true paradigm shifts are usually met with implacable and sometimes hostile resistance. And there is also the likelihood that IF this object is a true artifact of extraterrestrial origin, the military may very well know something and be keeping it strictly classified. And even be actively trying to discredit anyone who tries to convince anyone otherwise.

If I get time.

I confess I have not, though I've read most of it. Personally, I found Rendezvous with Rama to be rather boring, and I'm not sure I ever finished it. I never read any of the sequels.

I had a lot of time to read sailing across the Pacific.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 9:13 PM, rodheadlee said:

The most transformative book I have ever read (next to the scriptures) was when I was a teenager in 1968:  "2001:  A Space Odyssey".  It blew my mind and I thought endlessly about the implications and imagined how it could have led to the beginnings of the Celestial Order of the Priesthood.  Even today I still marvel at its wonders (I fully expect the Kingdom of God to be orders of magnitude more mind blowing).