Seriously No Politics ×

The Quiet before the Storm

LDS themed news stories seem rather quiet lately, largely impacted by the pandemic I suspect.  Experience has taught me that these lulls are generally followed by a significant announcement or news story that seem to blow up the internet boards.  We have experienced these news lulls before other major "you know what hitting the fan" stories This seems, at least to me, to have been a pattern for decades since the introduction of the internet and the churches inability to fully control it's own story. A quiet and then a huge story.

So first, I'm pointing this out and second wondering what it is that will be the next big story to hit the fan or blow up the boards. Or it could be that I am just seeing random patterns in the clouds.

Edited by Fair Dinkum
7 minutes ago, Fair Dinkum said:

LDS themed news stories seem rather quiet lately, largely impacted by the pandemic I suspect. 

By this do you mean "news stories" that are published by the Church?  Or about the Church?

Experience has taught me that these lulls are generally followed by a significant announcement or news story that seem to blow up the internet boards. 

Hmm.  I've been following news coverage about the Church for many years now.  I have not noticed the pattern you describe.

We have experienced these news lulls before other major "you know what hitting the fan" stories This seems, at least to me, to have been a pattern for decades since the introduction of the internet and the churches inability to fully control it's own story. A quiet and then a huge story.

In the last few days I've seen stories about the Church publishing sketches of the forthcoming Syracuse temple, about a church building in Britisch Columbia, Canada being converted to a temporary homeless shelter during the freeze, multiple stories about the Church donating food (see herehere, here, here), and about the Church's investment funds having made money during the COVID epidemic.

Controversies continue to be in the news, as well.  Jana Riess is the go-to source for looking at the Church in a bleak, glass-half-empty sort of way.  Inside Edition recently re-visited the lurid details of the Jodi Arias story.  Netflix is releasing "a new, three-part true crime documentary about the 1985 Mark Hofmann forgeries and murders provocatively titled 'Murder Among the Mormons.'"  Real Housewives of Salt Lake City has provided regular seamy takes on the Church and its members.  The Trib is covering Deznat (here and here).

In other words, there's a mix of good coverage and bad.  But the mix does not seem to be particularly unusual.

So first, I'm pointing this out and second wondering what it is that will be the next big story to hit the fan or blow up the boards. Or it could be that I am just seeing random patterns in the clouds.

I think we've seen some pretty significant changes in the last several years.  Pres. Nelson's tenure seems to involve quite a bit of changes to the status quo.

Thanks,

-Smac

21 minutes ago, smac97 said:

By this do you mean "news stories" that are published by the Church?  Or about the Church?

Hmm.  I've been following news coverage about the Church for many years now.  I have not noticed the pattern you describe.

In the last few days I've seen stories about the Church publishing sketches of the forthcoming Syracuse temple, about a church building in Britisch Columbia, Canada being converted to a temporary homeless shelter during the freeze, multiple stories about the Church donating food (see herehere, here, here), and about the Church's investment funds having made money during the COVID epidemic.

Controversies continue to be in the news, as well.  Jana Riess is the go-to source for looking at the Church in a bleak, glass-half-empty sort of way.  Inside Edition recently re-visited the lurid details of the Jodi Arias story.  Netflix is releasing "a new, three-part true crime documentary about the 1985 Mark Hofmann forgeries and murders provocatively titled 'Murder Among the Mormons.'"  Real Housewives of Salt Lake City has provided regular seamy takes on the Church and its members.  The Trib is covering Deznat (here and here).

In other words, there's a mix of good coverage and bad.  But the mix does not seem to be particularly unusual.

I think we've seen some pretty significant changes in the last several years.  Pres. Nelson's tenure seems to involve quite a bit of changes to the status quo.

Thanks,

-Smac

I admire your ability to crank out these all inclusive posts.  Frankly quite incredible. You Sir have my respect.

I refer to stories about the church or that involve the church and yes I refer to both stories that the Trib might carry vs One that the DesNews might shy away from and also big announcements from the institutional church as well.  Generally stories that become headliners on the internet.  Seems like we are currently in a quiet lull. 

Some that come to mind, The Woman's Priesthood March, The October surprise aka LGBTQ ban and then reversal, Marriage Equality, The English lawsuit against President Monson to anme jsut a few that come to mind...but this list is not all inclusive.

Edited by Fair Dinkum
2 hours ago, katherine the great said:

My prediction: The translation of the entire Pocatello 3rd Ward. 

I'm trying to figure out whether it is a good or bad thing my husband didn't get a job in Pocatello.  They might have helped get me to translation status or I might have held them back! 😆

Edited by Rain
54 minutes ago, Fair Dinkum said:

I admire your ability to crank out these all inclusive posts.  Frankly quite incredible. You Sir have my respect.

I refer to stories about the church or that involve the church and yes I refer to both stories that the Trib might carry vs One that the DesNews might shy away from and also big announcements from the institutional church as well.  Generally stories that become headliners on the internet.  Seems like we are currently in a quiet lull. 

Some that come to mind, The Woman's Priesthood March, The October surprise aka LGBTQ ban and then reversal, Marriage Equality, The English lawsuit against President Monson to anme jsut a few that come to mind...but this list is not all inclusive.

Do you mean marriage redefinition? 💣 

2 hours ago, Fair Dinkum said:

I am just seeing random patterns in the clouds.

I'd suggest the data does suggest trends, in the clouds and otherwise.

I don't follow the news about the Church too much but, best guess as to what comes next:

- missionaries called home, not to their home countries but possibly called home to their families until the Holy Grail vaccine can be manufactured, distributed and administered globally

- mobile Temples (plane and ship) (my hope)

- polygamy reinstituted in countries where it is currently legal (my former hope)

- Permanent option to attend one's ward remotely

- More of a rollout of non-proselytizing missions

- No more EQ like dissolved like YMP and high priest groups (also my hope)

*None of these are based on any rumors I've heard from anyone inside or outside the Church.*

16 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

I'd suggest the data does suggest trends, in the clouds and otherwise.

I don't follow the news about the Church too much but, best guess as to what comes next:

- missionaries called home, not to their home countries but possibly called home to their families until the Holy Grail vaccine can be manufactured, distributed and administered globally

I don't see that happening.  Too many currently heading out.

16 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

- mobile Temples (plane and ship) (my hope)

- polygamy reinstituted in countries where it is currently legal (my former hope)

- Permanent option to attend one's ward remotely

- More of a rollout of non-proselytizing missions

- No more EQ like dissolved like YMP and high priest groups (also my hope)

*None of these are based on any rumors I've heard from anyone inside or outside the Church.*

Polygamy (as practiced by the church) was also multiple simultaneous and independent male-female marriages. The females were not married to each other, and each heterosexual marriage still only had two people.

So if bigamy laws didn't exist, polygamy (as practiced by the church) would be compatible with the family proclamation.

Edited by JustAnAustralian

This is off-topic, Fair Dinkum, so forgive me.  But when I think of your screen name, this is what I think of: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2019/10/12vinson?lang=eng

Just thought I'd share.  Sorry for the diversion!  Carry on!

There was a Canadian member of the Church with a PH.D. in Law who got the Order of Canada awhile back, that is amazing!!!!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Borrows

Something i've noticed is that on fridays they announce stuff, it's like they have a meeting in the morning, agree on whatever and then make the release of the news in the afternoon

58 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

This is off-topic, Fair Dinkum, so forgive me.  But when I think of your screen name, this is what I think of: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2019/10/12vinson?lang=eng

Just thought I'd share.  Sorry for the diversion!  Carry on!

LOL.. No worries mate and remember to keep those Sunny's on standby when chucking a Uee to have a squizz of the servo

Edited by Fair Dinkum
23 minutes ago, Fair Dinkum said:

I wonder if the rest of Christianity would agree with you...I'm guessing not.

The Lutheran's might.  Luther had no issue with it.

2 hours ago, Damien the Leper said:

And still Mormon polygamy is not nor will it ever be the same as Abraham or Solomon. Definitely not like Solomon. :D

Wasn't for lack of trying...

7 hours ago, Fair Dinkum said:

I agree with you about Smac, it's amazing how he comes up with such detailed stuff, must be the attorney in him. 

Also, I was quite surprised to see an article in the Deseret News about the Mark Hoffman movie on Netflix coming out in March.  https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/2/11/22278388/murder-among-the-mormons-docuseries-is-coming-to-netflix-directed-by-jared-hess

Edited by Tacenda
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Luther only said he did not have a scriptural refutation of it. He didn’t endorse it and emphatically thought it was a bad idea.

Yet he performed a plural marriage.

37 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

I think there are more issues brewing with LGBT and BYU.  I anticipate sport teams canceling games with BYU related to BYUs ostracizing LGBT folks. 

Ostracizing?  Sigh.  Okay.

It is about time for Church leaders to figure out another way to throw the LGBT community under the bus.  Past actions include:

Tell gay men that if they just marry, they will no longer be gay

Tells LGBT members in conference that being gay may "lead to despair, to disease, even to death"

Tells church members in conference that gay physical attractions as "impure and unnatural" tendencies that can be "overcome"

Church changes its position and maybe being gay can't be overcome.

Tell gay men that marriage is not therapy

Wage a political campaign to take away LGBT Americans right to marry

Deny underaged children blessings, baptism and priesthood of gay couples.

Labels gay couples apostates

Changes BYU honor code giving hope to LGBT students they can now hold hands, kiss and date at BYU

Tell LGBT students it was all a misunderstanding.  Stop dating holding hands and kissing or get thrown out of BYU

Change their mind about denying underaged children blessing, baptism and priesthood

Wonder what it will be this time. You know something is going to happen. It is about time for another new revelation.

Edited by california boy