Jump to content

So has the missionary dress code changed?


JAHS

Recommended Posts

missdress.jpg.9831e44025142fb8e20af6efa3d6e7bd.jpg

Ryan Matthews and Caleb Scott are happy to be serving in Madison as missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Matthews has been in Madison for eight weeks, while Scott is settling in after being here for two weeks. "The people in Madison are very welcoming and courteous," said Scott. Matthews echoed Scott's sentiments about the citizens of Madison, saying,  "I love the people here, and I've enjoyed serving them and drawing people to Christ."

Latter-Day Saints missionaries typically serve in the same location for up to six months, and Matthews is hoping he spends a while in Madison. "It's been a really good experience here," commented Scott. "I have enjoyed helping at the Methodist thrift store. I've also helped a man with car repairs and another family with some land clearing. My favorite experience here came while teaching a lady the plan of salvation. The Spirit was really strong in the presentation."

Matthews and Scott have enjoyed becoming familiar with Madison's rich southern culture, and Matthews has been learning to make a knife from a resident who has a forge. The pair looks forward to helping the United Methodist Cooperative with food distributions in the future.

If you would like to visit the Latter-Day Saints, the church is located at 1374 W Base St., in Madison.

http://www.greenepublishing.com/scott-and-matthews-enjoy-madisons-southern-charm/

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, JAHS said:

missdress.jpg.9831e44025142fb8e20af6efa3d6e7bd.jpg

Ryan Matthews and Caleb Scott are happy to be serving in Madison as missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Matthews has been in Madison for eight weeks, while Scott is settling in after being here for two weeks. "The people in Madison are very welcoming and courteous," said Scott. Matthews echoed Scott's sentiments about the citizens of Madison, saying,  "I love the people here, and I've enjoyed serving them and drawing people to Christ."

Latter-Day Saints missionaries typically serve in the same location for up to six months, and Matthews is hoping he spends a while in Madison. "It's been a really good experience here," commented Scott. "I have enjoyed helping at the Methodist thrift store. I've also helped a man with car repairs and another family with some land clearing. My favorite experience here came while teaching a lady the plan of salvation. The Spirit was really strong in the presentation."

Matthews and Scott have enjoyed becoming familiar with Madison's rich southern culture, and Matthews has been learning to make a knife from a resident who has a forge. The pair looks forward to helping the United Methodist Cooperative with food distributions in the future.

If you would like to visit the Latter-Day Saints, the church is located at 1374 W Base St., in Madison.

http://www.greenepublishing.com/scott-and-matthews-enjoy-madisons-southern-charm/

Yes, you're now allowed to wear your nametag at a 45 degree angle 😁

Edited by AtlanticMike
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

The tie choices leave something to be desired. They would have worked on white shirts. If a lot of their missionary work is service to food charities and mechanical stuff it seems wise to go to a different shirt color. 

I guess so, especially if they are serving barbecued ribs. 😊

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, bluebell said:

They changed it a while ago.  

There were changes but not for the white shirt.

Shirts and Ties
Wear only white, conservative-style dress shirts made of a polyester blend or other fabric that does not wrinkle easily. See examples below.

Ties should be simple in color and design and professional in style. They should not contain pictures or caricatures. Do not, for any reason, wear ties that draw attention, appear unprofessional, or distract others from your message.

https://missionary.lds.org/clothing/elder/dress/shirts?lang=eng

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, JAHS said:

There were changes but not for the white shirt.

Shirts and Ties
Wear only white, conservative-style dress shirts made of a polyester blend or other fabric that does not wrinkle easily. See examples below.

Ties should be simple in color and design and professional in style. They should not contain pictures or caricatures. Do not, for any reason, wear ties that draw attention, appear unprofessional, or distract others from your message.

https://missionary.lds.org/clothing/elder/dress/shirts?lang=eng

https://apnews.com/article/c410dc02e6bdafae3114dd4ec09c6a69#:~:text=SALT LAKE CITY (AP) —,dress code change announced Friday.

They started allowing blue shirts last June, with the mission president's permission.

Edited by bluebell
Link to comment
9 hours ago, JAHS said:

I guess they still need to make that change clear on the church website regarding missionary attire.

Probably unwise. The Church website has the general instructions and saying that blue shirts are acceptable when they are only acceptable in certain missions would cause confusion and wasted money. What you do is leave the basic instructions on the website and have the packet from the Mission give any exceptions.

Link to comment
8 hours ago, katherine the great said:
12 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I saw a photo the other day with a group of missionaries and one of the sister missionaries was wearing some styling pants. Which I think is awesome! Don't see a thing wrong with it. :)

It’s so much more practical ( and modest) on a windy day. 

Probably also easier for when riding bikes. Do sister missionaries still ride bikes?

Link to comment
39 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Probably also easier for when riding bikes. Do sister missionaries still ride bikes?

That's exactly what I thought about when I posted that, how much easier or modest it would be with pants.

Link to comment
On 2/16/2021 at 10:52 PM, The Nehor said:

Probably unwise. The Church website has the general instructions and saying that blue shirts are acceptable when they are only acceptable in certain missions would cause confusion and wasted money. What you do is leave the basic instructions on the website and have the packet from the Mission give any exceptions.

Yes, especially since those kind of problems already occur.

Link to comment
On 2/17/2021 at 7:55 PM, JAHS said:

Probably also easier for when riding bikes. Do sister missionaries still ride bikes?

Some do.  And yes, would have been a whole lot easier!

Link to comment
On 2/17/2021 at 8:55 PM, JAHS said:

Probably also easier for when riding bikes. Do sister missionaries still ride bikes?

Some do. The sisters who used to be stationed in our current ward were on bikes. They've since been reassigned to another ward - not sure if they still have bikes or not.

I think it depends on the mission (and the mission president). I had two presidents on my mission here in the states. The first didn't have an issue with sisters on bikes; the second, however, preferred to have all sister missionaries in cars. 

 

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...