Seriously No Politics ×

Jordan Peterson

poptart

45 minutes ago, poptart said:

Anyone watch his videos or read his stuff?

I have done so, and greatly enjoy what he has to say. He's quite powerful in terms of self-actualization and independence. He doesn't molly-coddle; calls spades spades. Which is why the woke left hates him so much.

Peterson is one of the most brilliant thinkers of the age, in my honest opinion.  

17 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I have done so, and greatly enjoy what he has to say. He's quite powerful in terms of self-actualization and independence. He doesn't molly-coddle; calls spades spades. Which is why the woke left hates him so much.

Peterson is one of the most brilliant thinkers of the age, in my honest opinion.  

I like the guy, he says it like it is.  I like how he zaps entitlement, the rage it causes is kinda fun to watch.  that being said, it does seem like he caters to certain demographics.  Just saying.  I agree, he is still quite brilliant, he speaks to those who had little to no exposure to philosophy nor had much of a father figure.  

55 minutes ago, poptart said:

I like the guy, he says it like it is.  I like how he zaps entitlement, the rage it causes is kinda fun to watch.  that being said, it does seem like he caters to certain demographics.  Just saying.  I agree, he is still quite brilliant, he speaks to those who had little to no exposure to philosophy nor had much of a father figure.  

No disrespect to my own father, who was a great guy, I would have loved to have been a son to Jordan Peterson.

1 hour ago, poptart said:

I  have seen Jordan Peterson soundly debunk any assertions that he intentionally caters to specific demographic groups. For example, I recently watched a video on which a feminist accused Peterson of deliberately appealing to men and to their “toxic masculinity,” a claim she said is amply demonstrated by the fact that 75% of the viewers of his YouTube videos are men. Peterson countered the accusation with aplomb, simply stating that he can’t help it if surveys show that 75% of those who watch YouTube are males.

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

No disrespect to my own father, who was a great guy, I would have loved to have been a son to Jordan Peterson.

Dunno if I would say the same.  Id opt for prince Oskar of house Hohenzollern if we're choosing fathers.

26 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

I  have seen Jordan Peterson soundly debunk any assertions that he intentionally caters to specific demographic groups. For example, I recently watched a video on which a feminist accused Peterson of deliberately appealing to men and to their “toxic masculinity,” a claim she said is amply demonstrated by the fact that 75% of the viewers of his YouTube videos are men. Peterson countered the accusation with aplomb, simply stating that he can’t help it if surveys show that 75% of those who watch YouTube are males.

I said seems like, didn't say I did.  Way I see it, anyone with a semi functioning brain would appreciate him.  He's fair, lays out good arguments and for the uninitiated he's a fantastic resource,im getting his new book when its out in a month. 

In my world, it seems like most people who like him are privileged WASPs who never really delve into philosophy.  I do to an extent.  Julius Evola is one of my go to guys.

Edited by poptart
6 minutes ago, poptart said:

Dunno if I would say the same.  Id opt for prince Oskar of house Hohenzollern if we're choosing fathers.

Which one? Are you talking about this one? And if so, why him in particular?

9 minutes ago, poptart said:

In my world, it seems like most people who like him are privileged WASPs

I'm a privileged WASM, actually.

Although I'm not too sure about the privilege, and being half-German I'm also not too sure about the Anglo-Saxon.

25 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Which one? Are you talking about this one? And if so, why him in particular?

He's the head of the Johanitter.

24 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I'm a privileged WASM, actually.

Although I'm not too sure about the privilege, and being half-German I'm also not too sure about the Anglo-Saxon.

You don't strike me like a lot of the wasps I've met irl who feel like it's societies job to protect them from the consequences of poor choices while blaming marginalized groups for their own problems.  Then again, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt....

I have read his 12 Rules for Life, watched all 17 lectures on The Psychological Significance of the Biblical Stories, the 2016 and 2017 Maps of Meaning classroom lectures he gave at the University of Toronto, as well as his critiques of Canadian Bill C16 which he fears will have a devastating impact limiting free speech. He has been very ill over the past year and pretty much out of public discourse, but has recently returned and I believe has a new book coming out in March. He's as incisive an analyst and articulate a speaker as I know anything about.

1 hour ago, poptart said:

I said seems like, didn't say I did.  Way I see it, anyone with a semi functioning brain would appreciate him.  He's fair, lays out good arguments and for the uninitiated he's a fantastic resource,im getting his new book when its out in a month. 

In my world, it seems like most people who like him are privileged WASPs who never really delve into philosophy.  I do to an extent.  Julius Evola is one of my go to guys.

The way I interpret the portion in bold is that that the people who like Peterson are those who come from a traditional Judeo-Christian family values background where thrift, hard work, responsibility, personal initiative and loyalty to spouse and family are valued. 

16 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

The way I interpret the portion in bold is that that the people who like Peterson are those who come from a traditional Judeo-Christian family values background where thrift, hard work, responsibility, personal initiative and loyalty to spouse and family are valued. 

Nope, those people I have no problem with.  I'm moreso refering to people I've known who had everything handed to them, blame marginalized people for problems they tend to have the biggest hand in and are Christians of convenience.  Those who live Christ like lives, follow the rules and are actually contributing members of society I like.  Thing is, people like that are in short supply anymore, I think anyway.  Then again, going to assume you and I live in different worlds.  

7 minutes ago, poptart said:

Nope, those people I have no problem with.  I'm moreso refering to people I've known who had everything handed to them, blame marginalized people for problems they tend to have the biggest hand in and are Christians of convenience.  Those who live Christ like lives, follow the rules and are actually contributing members of society I like.  Thing is, people like that are in short supply anymore, I think anyway.  Then again, going to assume you and I live in different worlds.  

Then I’m wondering why moochers would take a liking to Peterson’s message, a message anathema to unearned privilege? Peterson’s prescription is a stoic approach to life that frowns upon those who never mature to adulthood and learn how to stand with determination on their own two feet.

5 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

Then I’m wondering why moochers would take a liking to Peterson’s message, a message anathema to unearned privilege? Peterson’s prescription is a stoic approach to life that frowns upon those who never mature to adulthood and learn how to stand with determination on their own two feet.

Not so much moochers, more so entitled people with homophobic, racist tendencies.  They can still hold down a job, i'll give them that. 

That being said, the friends I have who like him as much as I do feel the same way you do, it's his stoicism we like most.  Also, that is a big problem with people here, most never mature.  It does blow my mind how many men in their mid to late 30s/40s never grow up, destroy their health, blame their ex's for their problems and then proceed to burn what bridges they have left.  Saw that quite a bit last year sadly.  

53 minutes ago, poptart said:

Not so much moochers, more so entitled people with homophobic, racist tendencies.  They can still hold down a job, i'll give them that. 

That being said, the friends I have who like him as much as I do feel the same way you do, it's his stoicism we like most.  Also, that is a big problem with people here, most never mature.  It does blow my mind how many men in their mid to late 30s/40s never grow up, destroy their health, blame their ex's for their problems and then proceed to burn what bridges they have left.  Saw that quite a bit last year sadly.  

The modern plague of arrested adolescence. I’m still wondering why your entitled acquaintances would gravitate toward Peterson? Is the motivating factor a form of peer pressure because Peterson’s philosophy of life has become the ‘in’ thing among those opposed to political correctness?

2 hours ago, teddyaware said:

The modern plague of arrested adolescence. I’m still wondering why your entitled acquaintances would gravitate toward Peterson? Is the motivating factor a form of peer pressure because Peterson’s philosophy of life has become the ‘in’ thing among those opposed to political correctness?

Jordan Peterson is trendy and yeah, the 'in" thing who want to rail on those they consider political/social opponents.  If they actually seriously read his stuff, it would do them a lot of good.  

12 hours ago, poptart said:

Anyone watch his videos or read his stuff?

For several years now.  He is a Canadian scholar-psychologist, but spent years teaching at Harvard.  Now he teaches at Univ of Toronto.  Has his own regular podcast on YouTube.   He likes to tell the uncomfortable, unvarnished truth, and has drawn a lot of ire from some woke people who haven't quite thought through their socio-political claims.

4 hours ago, teddyaware said:

Many of them are in dire straits with nowhere to turn, and find Peterson gives them a path to meaningful life and maybe manhood.  He certainly isn't politically correct.

10 hours ago, poptart said:

He's the head of the Johanitter.

Fair enough. Seems like a nice enough guy. 

10 hours ago, poptart said:

You don't strike me like a lot of the wasps I've met irl who feel like it's societies job to protect them from the consequences of poor choices while blaming marginalized groups for their own problems.  Then again, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt....

Oooh, I like being benefitted of the doubt! As it happens, I have made some poor choices in life, but I know who to blame for the consequences: the nut behind the keyboard. But what you seem to be describing is more along the line of silver-spoon trust babies. Or Karens.

9 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

For several years now.  He is a Canadian scholar-psychologist, but spent years teaching at Harvard.  Now he teaches at Univ of Toronto.  Has his own regular podcast on YouTube.   He likes to tell the uncomfortable, unvarnished truth, and has drawn a lot of ire from some woke people who haven't quite thought through their socio-political claims.

I don't stick with political labels, I've found people change them like they change religions/denominations like their clothes, some more often then others.  I find the sheltered and entitled, regardless of factional affiliation resent him.  The truth hurts but it does set you free.  Also, getting to watch their reactions on youtube is great entertainment.

6 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Fair enough. Seems like a nice enough guy. 

Oooh, I like being benefitted of the doubt! As it happens, I have made some poor choices in life, but I know who to blame for the consequences: the nut behind the keyboard. But what you seem to be describing is more along the line of silver-spoon trust babies. Or Karens.

How bad is the karen problem over there?  WHere I live it's getting worse, there are videos uploaded of karens snapping, it's getting popular.  I feel for the husbands, i've heard and read stories of men losing their jobs over their wives outbursts.  Glad I'm single, I can see why so many men opt to stay single nowadays or go gay, who'd want to be married to a monstrosity like that....

53 minutes ago, poptart said:

I don't stick with political labels, I've found people change them like they change religions/denominations like their clothes, some more often then others.  I find the sheltered and entitled, regardless of factional affiliation resent him.  The truth hurts but it does set you free.  Also, getting to watch their reactions on youtube is great entertainment.

How bad is the karen problem over there?  WHere I live it's getting worse, there are videos uploaded of karens snapping, it's getting popular.  I feel for the husbands, i've heard and read stories of men losing their jobs over their wives outbursts.  Glad I'm single, I can see why so many men opt to stay single nowadays or go gay, who'd want to be married to a monstrosity like that....

I know you are saying this in jest, or not, but most don't "go gay", but it could happen if they want a lifestyle change I guess. I feel bad for women that have the name Karen, my friend's name is Karen, but not that Karen, lol. And I wonder why there are only "Karen's" why not a name for men that do insanely stupid things too? Or maybe there is one, haven't heard of one. We should make one up if not! And show videos of them, seems lopsided, haha.  

47 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I know you are saying this in jest, or not, but most don't "go gay", but it could happen if they want a lifestyle change I guess. I feel bad for women that have the name Karen, my friend's name is Karen, but not that Karen, lol. And I wonder why there are only "Karen's" why not a name for men that do insanely stupid things too? Or maybe there is one, haven't heard of one. We should make one up if not! And show videos of them, seems lopsided, haha.  

LGBT men can go gay, sexuality is fluid.  There's an expression, bi today gay tomorrow.  I'll toss this out there, a lot of my bi friends have boyfriends because it's easier.  Past HS, a lot of people have kids and not everyone wants to be around them nor the challenges that come with them.  I get to hear stories from relatives here about the never ending drama their kids deal with, no thank you.  I get it, life happens but I am who I am, i've had the life I've had and I chose to opt out, that's that.  A lot of my friends are in the same boat, many of them were tossed out at 18 or younger by bad family so they're even more keen on this subject than I am.  When the world turns its back on you, turn your back on the world.

In general those with something to lose aren't going to make choices that could put their assets/careers at risk, partners can be a huge liability in that regard.  

How about Ken?  Chad?  Brad?  Etc.  

Edited by poptart
56 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yeh, at one time they sold Ken dolls, the analog to Barbie dolls.  So Ken sounds good.

Dunno, Chad and Brad have kind of a nice ring to it.  I hear parents here name their kinds daton, payton etc. a lot more now.  What ever happened to normal Christian names?  John, James, Maria, Patricia etc.