Seriously No Politics ×

Letting others see our happiness

2 hours ago, Rain said:

Ahh. This is right up my alley.  @Calm would probably like the physics discussion as well.

It makes sense that our light/countenance could be a physics thing based on our spiritualty/purity.  

It also makes sense that some people don't like being around "bubbly" people so having our different personalities to help us shine for different people makes sense.

Do you think though that sometimes our personality hides our spiritual wavelengths and maybe this is part of letting our light not shine and why the scriptures say to let it shine?  

I know we all have to look at ourselves to see just what we need to change, but do you think there is an...equation?...as to how much or what we need to work on?  Not asking for specifics obviously.  Just kind of fun to think about.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring science into the discussion; I was using "light" and "wavelength" metaphorically. 

Inasmuch as personality might get in the way, we can only correct those aspects that we are aware of. The Spirit can help with that, whether to address what others have pointed out, help us discern or discover areas for improvement, or point it out directly, etc. Personally, I think "attributes" (AoF 13, and notably grace and charity) are more important than any of the other aspects of personality. I highly recommend the "Preach My Gospel" chapter, "How Do I Develop Christlike Attributes?".

The only "equation" I can think of is the "measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ" and "to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

8 minutes ago, CV75 said:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring science into the discussion; I was using "light" and "wavelength" metaphorically. 

Oh, I'm glad you did!  The more I read the scriptures etc the more I realize how interconnected the body and spirit are.  I love it.

Inasmuch as personality might get in the way, we can only correct those aspects that we are aware of. The Spirit can help with that, whether to address what others have pointed out, help us discern or discover areas for improvement, or point it out directly, etc. Personally, I think "attributes" (AoF 13, and notably grace and charity) are more important than any of the other aspects of personality.

You are probably right.

I highly recommend the "Preach My Gospel" chapter, "How Do I Develop Christlike Attributes?".

I like it.  Occasionally I will take the quiz over to see where I stand.  

The only "equation" I can think of is the "measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ" and "to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

I want to be clear that I wasn't asking for an actual equation.  Even if there is one I don't think we have near enough knowledge to do it if there were one.

I'll have to think on those you came up with.  Definitely need Christ as part of the equation. The math/chemistry/physics would never work without Him.

Makes me wonder now how intuitive it was for him to heal people and how did he have to learn.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Rain said:

Oh, I'm glad you did!  The more I read the scriptures etc the more I realize how interconnected the body and spirit are.  I love it.

You are probably right.

I like it.  Occasionally I will take the quiz over to see where I stand.  

I want to be clear that I wasn't asking for an actual equation.  Even if there is one I don't think we have near enough knowledge to do it if there were one.

I'll have to think on those you came up with.  Definitely need Christ as part of the equation. The math/chemistry/physics would never work without Him.

Makes me wonder now how intuitive it was for him to heal people and how did he have to learn.

Thanks!

I figured you were using "equation" metaphorically... :)

When you say "intuitive" I am reminded of the Meyers-Briggs personality types / psychological preferences for how people perceive the world (people, things, time, space, circumstances, etc. ) and make decisions. In the case of Jesus, whatever His innate personality profile may be, above all He was humble and charitable (in that order I suppose since He grew from an infant and from grace to grace).

I don't think His personality should drive our aspirations any more than his hair/eye color or height. We might assume He was perfectly balanced in all personality types and leveraged all the types and their permutations according to the needs of those He served. But then again, how we view others (and Him) is a function of our own personality, and of course He knows that!

On 2/9/2021 at 6:43 PM, rchorse said:

I think it takes all personality types to spread the gospel.

Long time ago my father, a nonmember, was introduced to the mission president over the area where we lived. This man was of good cheer, but my father found his good cheer rather fakey. He had too much good cheer for Dad; I guess Dad thought it was a put on. I had more contact with the MP, and I could tell that it wasn't a put on, but just how he was. My father might have been more impressed with someone else whose good cheer seemed more genuine to him, or less flowery. 

Sometimes an investigator "clicks" more with one missionary than with another. But I can't imagine a missionary who seemed to have been raised on dill pickles and lemons impressing anyone.

That's an old Paul Dunn reference (dill pickles and lemons), by the way. It happens that I love both dill pickles and lemons.

21 hours ago, CV75 said:

I figured you were using "equation" metaphorically... :)

When you say "intuitive" I am reminded of the Meyers-Briggs personality types / psychological preferences for how people perceive the world (people, things, time, space, circumstances, etc. ) and make decisions. In the case of Jesus, whatever His innate personality profile may be, above all He was humble and charitable (in that order I suppose since He grew from an infant and from grace to grace).

I don't think His personality should drive our aspirations any more than his hair/eye color or height. We might assume He was perfectly balanced in all personality types and leveraged all the types and their permutations according to the needs of those He served. But then again, how we view others (and Him) is a function of our own personality, and of course He knows that!

41 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Long time ago my father, a nonmember, was introduced to the mission president over the area where we lived. This man was of good cheer, but my father found his good cheer rather fakey. He had too much good cheer for Dad; I guess Dad thought it was a put on. I had more contact with the MP, and I could tell that it wasn't a put on, but just how he was. My father might have been more impressed with someone else whose good cheer seemed more genuine to him, or less flowery. 

Sometimes an investigator "clicks" more with one missionary than with another. But I can't imagine a missionary who seemed to have been raised on dill pickles and lemons impressing anyone.

That's an old Paul Dunn reference (dill pickles and lemons), by the way. It happens that I love both dill pickles and lemons.

This is true.  I have sometimes heard the same kinds of things about well known members of the church from nonmembers.  "That person is putting on a show.  You can't trust them."  And I'm sitting here thinking, "they're happy.  Why don't you see that?"

It would be very interesting to see Jesus's results on personality tests.  I'd like to see my own results - I've taken it several times with different results and none of them seem to fit.  

I wonder if His results were known if people would try harder at making their personality like His than they try to love, forgive etc.

On 2/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, AtlanticMike said:

I think people can be happy and sad at the same time, sure. I had someone pass away last year and I was sad I would never talk to them again, but I was also happy they weren't in severe pain anymore. Also, when my wife has a baby she's extremely happy and sad at the same time.

I dont think I have any secrets, but one of the most beneficial exercises I do is, I lay down with my headset on, listen to music I like and tell myself over and over that I'm a happy, good, decent person. Sometimes for an hour or more, I probably say it atleast a 1000 times in a row. Basically, I'm replacing negativity with positivity. I'm sure in the psychology profession what I'm doing has a name, I've just never researched it. If you actually try doing this just remember to concentrate on your breathing also, deep rhythmic breaths really help.                                                            Figure out what you want to tell yourself and try it for a week, see what happens. Tell me how it goes.

So far so good.  I've been telling myself since yesterday that I am one of the most wonderful people on this planet and so far I believe it.  Just 6 more days of this until it permanently sinks in?  I think I like this self hypnosis ability.

I'm still not sure how to be happy and sad at the same time, though.  Can you give me some more clarification on how to do that?  When I think something positive I can be happy but when I think something negative I feel kind of sad.  And it seems that no matter how fast I switch from sad to happy, or from happy to sad, I still feel only one of those feelings at any one time.  So how do you still feel sad when you are feeling happy?  I must not understand that technique correctly because for me it still seems impossible.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:51 PM, Ahab said:

So far so good.  I've been telling myself since yesterday that I am one of the most wonderful people on this planet and so far I believe it.  Just 6 more days of this until it permanently sinks in?  I think I like this self hypnosis ability.

I'm still not sure how to be happy and sad at the same time, though.  Can you give me some more clarification on how to do that?  When I think something positive I can be happy but when I think something negative I feel kind of sad.  And it seems that no matter how fast I switch from sad to happy, or from happy to sad, I still feel only one of those feelings at any one time.  So how do you still feel sad when you are feeling happy?  I must not understand that technique correctly because for me it still seems impossible.

Google "tricking your brain into happiness." You'll see smiling has been found to trigger your brain into feeling happier even if you feel sad. If your not smiling naturally because your sad, do it anyway, it works for me.

Also a few years back Harvard did a 80 year study with like 900 people, following them their whole life. Then broke the study down in categories they found that made a profound impact in a person's happiness or overall well being. You should check it out.

Edited by AtlanticMike
7 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

Also a few years back Harvard did a 80 year study with like 900 people, following them their whole life. Then broke the study down in categories they found that made a profound impact in a person's happiness or overall well being. You should check it out.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-secret-to-happiness-heres-some-advice-from-the-longest-running-study-on-happiness-2017100512543

On 2/11/2021 at 5:25 PM, Mark Beesley said:

This verse is intriguing, Jesus wept. From the context, it is not clear what precipitated the Savior’s tears, nor whether they were tears of happiness, sadness, or pain. I shed lots of tears, most are joyful, some are remorse. How we interpret His tears is a personal matter between us and the Holy Spirit.

That is not theologically sound. The scripture means what God intended it to mean. It can not mean ten different things to ten different people because if so it means nothing at all. There is the text, the context and the intent of the scripture. If we read it carefully and study it in detail we can discern what the Lord's intent is.

John 11 is quite descriptive. Jesus knew Lazarus had died and he announced that such death would serve as an instrument to demonstrate the glory of the God of Heaven and the Son here on earth (v.4) This family was beloved by Him. These were His friends. He knows what He was about to do but they did not. He remained where he was (about 20 some miles away) for two more days. It is obvious that He wanted to make sure that in the minds of all involved there was absolutely no doubt that Lazarus was dead. In verse 15 He finally explains that he delayed and allow physical death to occur "so that they may believe". 

In verses 33-38 details how the Savior was moved by the grief and tears of the sisters for the loss of their brother. The plight of widows and unmarried women in the Israel of that time was no small thing. It says "He groaned in the spirit..." He was troubled. So He weeps for He understands and can feel the sorrow of those around Him. Death is humanity's final frontier of mortality, the evidence of the presence of sin in the human race and before Him, a hopeless condition. So, in His humanity, in perfect unity and empathy with us and those whom He loved, Jesus wept.

Edited by Islander
1 hour ago, Islander said:

That is not theologically sound. The scripture means what God intended it to mean. It can not mean ten different things to ten different people because if so it means nothing at all. There is the text, the context and the intent of the scripture. If we read it carefully and study it in detail we can discern what the Lord's intent is.

I disagree. 😀

11 minutes ago, Mark Beesley said:

I disagree. 😀

Feel free to do so but the word of God is what He intended to be and revealed to the prophet or Apostle that penned that scripture. That is why the Savior explained His parables and allegories. That is why Nephi explained what the dream of the tree of life meant, for example. No room for multiple interpretations. 

20 minutes ago, Islander said:

Feel free to do so but the word of God is what He intended to be and revealed to the prophet or Apostle that penned that scripture. That is why the Savior explained His parables and allegories. That is why Nephi explained what the dream of the tree of life meant, for example. No room for multiple interpretations. 

And yet seems to allow for errors in the text

And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men;

On 2/9/2021 at 11:24 AM, AtlanticMike said:

Happiness is a state of mind. If you're not naturally happy, if happiness isn't part of you right now, you can teach yourself how to become happy, even if you have to fake it until it becomes part of you. The key is to fake it until your happy thoughts over take your negative, self defeating thoughts. I've done it and it changed my life. 

I draw a lot of my happiness from Mormonism because it's set up in such a way that if you want to be happy, you can use Mormonism to accomplish an internal happiness, one that can actually be seen by other people as soon as they look at you. 

How so?

10 hours ago, poptart said:

How so?

Mormonism is structured in such a way, it answers alot of questions about life here on earth and what happens to us after we die. Most people want organization in their lives but dont know where to even begin. Mormonism not only gives you the starting point, it gives you a map with a path clearly marked, all you have to do is stay on the path. Obviously, most mormons, not all, believe the church is the only true church, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about what it offers while here on earth. 

All right, what I'm about to say will probably upset a few people, but hey, prove me wrong I guess 😁. Like alot of religions that demand alot from its followers, Mormonism allows you to turn off part of your brain. It is like a substitute for the part of your brain that ask life's most difficult questions. Where did I come from, why am I here, where am I going. On top of that, the structure I'm talking about like the word of wisdom, dress code, views like no pre marital sex, no profanity and so on can actually keep you younger for longer. 

Also, it allows you to be part of a big family of people who think alike for the most part. That's very comforting to mostly all humans because we're pack animals. Feeling alone is very stressful on an animal that belongs in a large pack, Mormonism can bring you comfort and lots of friends. 

Alot of mormons who dont believe in the religious part of the church anymore, stay in because its sense of community, the comfort it can bring to your soul, but most importantly its structure I think. Life is hard man, and it's not long enough (around 75 years) to figure out most of the questions you seek to have answered. 

Mormonism isn't the only institution that can do this, but it is at the top of the list. 

PS   I wanted to add, mormon missionaries are taught to look for people who might find themselves in a stressful part of their life, probably more so than looking for people who would benefit from the gospel message. Its easier to get someone to accept a message when they're looking for answers or help.

Edited by AtlanticMike
56 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Like alot of religions that demand alot from its followers, Mormonism allows you to turn off part of your brain.

Not sure why having answers in one area that have to be taken on faith to a significant degree leads you to think that makes it easier to turn off your brain than having no answers.  They are answers that allow us to move forward rather than spinning our wheels in worry or despair....I find there are few things that waste one’s brain more than worrying about what if’s.

Also one of the major intents of our faith is to communicate with God and that isn’t something one can do by turning off one’s brain.

And IMO the Gospel gives us a chance to work our brains in some of the most difficult to answer questions in life...how do we help others in the best way?  There is nothing more complicated than a human being who is a mess of unknown influences environmental and internal, full of contradictory feelings and thoughts.  We rarely know ourselves that well to understand what we really need, trying to figure out others’ needs and then how we can help them fill those needs without sabotaging ourselves...massive riddle there IMO.  So to truly help them, not just support them with minimal thought or effort by giving our excess wealth to the Church or a charity that then does all the thinking and doing for you or approaching charity as one size fits all (streamlining one’s efforts by keeping on hand all the fixings for bringing a wonderful dinner of chicken in peanut sauce with strawberry cheesecake for dessert so one can always say yes when asked to help out is smart, but how nice is it really for the family with the kid with the severe peanut allergy or the parent that breaks out after eating strawberries?***), but actually taking the time to get to know people in ways that it counts, so that you both feel connected and safe if possible to share each other’s path....that takes time, thought, commitment, bravery, creativity...

Also it takes brainwork to take risks by attempting to engage with others you might not feel so safe with, but who still need your help in some way and then really work at discovering what can help without adding unnecessary burdens including feeling like someone’s project or charity case.

Trying to live the Gospel well takes using your brain more, not less in the meaningful, important parts of life, IMO.

The structure and teachings of the Gospel does allow us to save energy and resources by not wasting ourselves through constantly asking ourselves the same questions over moral and other behaviours.  Also avoids losing hours in debate with oneself “is it worth it really?”  Just as it becomes easier to follow an exercise plan if you approach it as a given part of your day rather than asking yourself “should I exercise today or not” and then spending several minutes wondering where you can fit it in and if it is more important to get something else done, etc., so it is easier if we decide on moral and other important standards in our life instead of constantly questioning ourselves “today should I take advantage of my boss and fellowworkers’ trust and see what I can get away with without being caught or should I play it decent by doing my job and respecting those I work with and for?”  Or in our family relationships, do we commit to caring for each other forever or as long as it isn’t too much work (one of my relatives was told their spouse wanted a divorce because he didn’t think he should have to work at loving someone).

I don’t see the Church as providing ways to go through life with part of one’s brain turned off.  Rather it allows us to use our brains in deeply meaningful ways interacting with others because we have already confronted and made decisions on the more mundane, busywork type of stuff, so we don’t have to waste much mental or emotional energy on it.

***It makes a huge difference to me when my ministers take a few minutes in telling me they intend to bring something over (so I don’t have to feel burden by the question “do you need anything”) and if there is anything I can’t have or something I prefer, so instead of the chocolate or peanut butter cookies that I get to smile at the kindness and then sigh as I have to toss them in the garbage I get fruit and cheese, maybe some unusual or homemade bread I get to enjoy as well as thinking nice thoughts about the person bringing them.  Anyone giving money, food, or anything to another person needs to stop and ask themselves ‘can I be sure what I am doing is helpful and not a waste or burden’ and if not, take some effort when possible to be sure or at least more sure.  Taking a loaf of freshly homemade bread to someone on a gluten-free diet is not being that kind.

Edited by Calm
14 minutes ago, Calm said:

Not sure why having answers in one area that have to be taken on faith to a significant degree leads you to think that makes it easier to turn off your brain than having no answers.  They are answers that allow us to move forward rather than spinning our wheels in worry or despair....I find there are few things that waste one’s brain more than worrying about what if’s.

Also one of the major intents of our faith is to communicate with God and that isn’t something one can do by turning off one’s brain.

And IMO the Gospel gives us a chance to work our brains in some of the most difficult to answer questions in life...how do we help others in the best way?  Not just support them without thought or without effort by giving our excess wealth to the Church or a charity that then does all the thinking and doing for you, but actually taking the time to get to know people in ways that it counts, so that you both feel connected and safe if possible to share each other’s path.  Also taking risks by attempting to engage with others you might not feel so safe with, but who still need your help in some way and then really work at discovering what can help without adding unnecessary burdens including feeling like someone’s project or charity case.

The structure and teachings of the Gospel does allow us to save energy and resources by not wasting ourselves through constantly asking ourselves the same questions over moral and other behaviours.  Just as it becomes easier to follow an exercise plan if you approach it as a given part of your day rather than asking yourself “should I exercise today or not” and then spending several minutes wondering where you can fit it in and if it is more important to get something else done, etc., so it is easier if we decide on moral and other important standards in our life instead of constantly questioning ourselves “today should I take advantage of my boss and fellowworkers’ trust and see what I can get away with without being caught or should I play it decent by doing my job and respecting those I work with and for?”  Or in our family relationships, do we commit to caring for each other forever or as long as it isn’t too much work (one of my relatives was told their spouse wanted a divorce because he didn’t think he should have to work at loving someone).

I don’t see the Church as providing ways to go through life with part of one’s brain turned off.  Rather it allows us to use our brains in deeply meaningful ways interacting with others because we have already confronted and made decisions on the mundane, busywork type of stuff, so we don’t have to waste much mental or emotional energy on it.

Here's an example,  let's say everyone's life has a thousand questions that need to be answered before they die. Well, some religions offer you a way to find answers in one big lump sum, compared to dragging it out or trying to figure it out over a long period of time. Mormonism offers the lump sum. Ask anyone who has left Mormonism, the scariest part is not knowing what life is going to be like. People who leave Mormonism go through a plethora of emotions. They find themselves having to search for answers without a manual, or a website with answers to just about any question you could ask. They're lost emotionality and spiritually, finding themselves having to rely on the their self again.  It's a daunting task because all your questions are whirling around in your head and your searching for answers pretty much alone. Relying on your own brain power again. 

Plus, like I told poptart, we are taught to search for people who find themselves in a stressful part of life because its easier to convince them of the gospel message. It's a more efficient approach. 

7 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

let's say everyone's life has a thousand questions that need to be answered before they die.

That isn’t how life works, so why say it?

Mormonism offers “lump sum”?  Not seeing it given we believe in eternal progression as an ideal which requires always using one’s brain, always asking questions.

The Gospel provides a framework, a very useful and highly meaningful framework so it is not surprising to me if people feel lost if they choose to stop using it, but building the individual, the relationships that turn the framework into something solid...not just dropped in your lap ready made.

Edited by Calm

And while I have known some who leave the Church who then invest a lot of effort and resources into trying to create an informed and worthwhile new world paradigm for themselves, I know of some who move on to another community and others who pretty much just stop asking any questions in that area because they just aren’t interested and are happy to be agnostic and uninformed (on that topic).  I don’t think not using one’s brain is about religion...CS Lewis, GK Chesterton instantly spring to my mind (I like their fiction), but there have been tons of others who have expended a lifetime exploring their religious faith with their brains.  People can turn their brain off in pretty much any situation.  What makes the difference is what matters to someone.

Edited by Calm

Ask anyone who has left Mormonism, the scariest part is not knowing what life is going to be like

Curious about this....for those on the board who have left the Church or at least its beliefs, is or was that the scariest part?  Is it in your view a very different way than how you as a member wonder what life will be like in the future?

1 minute ago, Calm said:

And while I have known some who leave the Church who then invest a lot of effort and resources into trying to create an informed and worthwhile world paradigm, I know of others who pretty much just stop asking any questions because they just aren’t interested and are happy to be agnostic.  I don’t think not using one’s brain is about religion...CS Lewis, GK Chesterton instantly spring to my mind (I like their fiction), but there have been tons of others who have expended a lifetime exploring their religious faith with their brains.  People can turn their brain off in pretty much any situation.  What makes the difference is what matters to someone.

Calm, your arguing with some who has pretty much been trying to keep a part of my brain turned off the last 20 years 🤣. I have admitted I suffer from depression and anxiety, ask anyone who has dealt with severe anxiety and most will tell you they wish they could turn that part of their brain off. It can get so bad, unfortunately some choose to permanently turn their brain off 100%, either with a bullet or some other means.                                         I've used this example before, to me in your brain is a long hallway with many doors. Throughout your life you open and close doors to peak inside figuring out what's inside. As far as my anxiety, I've chosen not to treat it with drugs, drugs never worked for me, besides am usually 30 to 40 feet in the air on a roof and drugs make me feel like my body weighs about a 1000lbs, not a good situation for someone that high up on a roof. So I choose to put my anxiety in one of the rooms in my hallway, I shut the door and locked it. It took a lot of work to get it in there but I was able to do it, I've shared that method on many a post on this board. I see Mormonism in much of the same way.  It takes alot of life's stress and questions and allows some people to put them behind a door. That way you can continue down lifes hallway without ever worrying about alot of what Mormonism answers for you. If you dont believe me, go stand in someone's hallway and knock on the door that says Mormonism. If they open the door, start telling them what they have behind the door isn't true, there's a 99% chance they'll slam the door on your face and lock the door. That's the reason missionaries are taught to look for people who are possibly in a tough situation, its easier to get people to believe a message if the need help. 

I think it is extremely dangerous to assume the way we have structured the world in our heads is typical of others.  It leads IMO to inappropriate judgments as well as misunderstandings due to expectations based on faulty assumptions.

I have a sleep disorder that has set me up for anxiety and depression.  Drugs generally backfire on me.  My approach is to study and plan the hell out of my anxieties in order to feel in control of them in most cases, though when I drop deep it is distraction time...which includes this board.

Me, I don’t see any reason to close doors.  I want to see what is behind them, even knock down the walls so I can figure out how it all is supposed to work together,  Even if I can’t study something now, maybe I can later.

But I don’t assume others approach life that way unless they tell me.  I know some who do it sort of your way, others who are more like me, still many other variations (my degree is in psychology, been reading and talking about how the mind works since I was a preteen reading my mom’s Jung books).

Edited by Calm

Calm, I hope you dont think I'm putting the church down. Like I said from the beginning when I came on here a couple months ago, I think I look at the church a little differently than most.  I see the church as tool in my tool box. Maybe that makes me even more different than what I originally thought. All I can tell you is it works for me. 

But as far as showing you where I'm coming from about missionaries searching for lost souls who are possibly looking for help, more than looking for a message, here's a page from preach my gospel. See how the gospel message is one, the other five are people looking for relief from a difficult situation in life. Lifes trials open you up to certain messages emotionally and spiritually. 

20210215_104108.jpg

5 minutes ago, Calm said:

I think it is extremely dangerous to assume the way we have structured the world in our heads is typical of others.  It leads IMO to inappropriate judgments as well as misunderstandings due to expectations based on faulty assumptions.

I'm not typical, again I said that when I came on here. I'm completely different actually, but it works for me. I still have a temple reccomend, I still take the sacrament, pay tithing, and so on. Why does it matter how I use the gospel, as long as it gets to the same place both you and I hope to end up? 

What am I assuming?

6 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

I'm not typical, again I said that when I came on here. I'm completely different actually, but it works for me. I still have a temple reccomend, I still take the sacrament, pay tithing, and so on. Why does it matter how I use the gospel, as long as it gets to the same place both you and I hope to end up? 

What am I assuming?

It is what you are assuming about people that I see as inaccurate.  While you don’t see yourself as typical, you appear to assume there are “typical” people who approach life a certain way and rarely waver.

How you use the gospel yourself is fine, up to you.  Making generalizations about others is the issue I have with your comments.

Edited by Calm